Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,298 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 23 year old who is looking to move to miami with a friend. I have to tell you a few things that are important first:

My friend will have a secure job(he is being transfered)
I would have to look for a job hopefully in the Real Estate and apartment industry
I don't own a car(should I buy one? or is riding a bicycle a good form of transportation?)

I just have a ton of questions regarding the move. Is it a smart thing to do?
Is there a lot of job opportunities in my field? Also, how much cash would be ideal to take with me until i find a job(minimum)?

I have lived in California and I loved it, mostly because the pace is fast and the people don't stay doing the same thing. Here in Dallas it is totally the opposite, you could spend months or years doing the same activities, and frankly I am tired of it. I grew up in California and had a chance to move for 6 months in 2008 and even then I didn't really get to do anything fun.

Miami just seems perfect, well any part of Florida seems perfect, but I have become too concerned with planning things ahead of time as I've been getting older and oh boy do I hate it, but I realize it's a good part of growing up.
Which is why I need to be well informed with how everything is in Florida.

The partying is a given, we will do that, but mostly I am looking for fun that doesn't require me being at a club 3 nights a week either.

How do the apartment prices range in Miami? or Florida in general?

I am bilingual so will that help me in finding a job faster?

I think I've posted most of the questions that should be most important(i think) if there is anything I've missed please let me know so I can take that into consideration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
<--- I think I'll just drink a big glass of ST*U. Still reeling from the last Texan I recommended Miami to.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
[quote=Bostonian08;17581347. Still reeling from the last Texan I recommended Miami to. [/quote]

And rightfully so.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
"I have lived in California and I loved it"
"Miami just seems perfect, well any part of Florida seems perfect"

it isnt. this "well any part of Florida seems perfect" came out of my mouth when i moved here.
if you love california you will hate miami. i am a lifelong californian born and raised and every person i've met with the exception of myself who have moved from california to miami have left.

if you want a more american city try orlando. if you wouldnt consider moving to south america you wouldnt like miami.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jPain View Post
Hello, I am a 23 year old who is looking to move to miami with a friend. I have to tell you a few things that are important first:

My friend will have a secure job(he is being transfered)
I would have to look for a job hopefully in the Real Estate and apartment industry
I don't own a car(should I buy one? or is riding a bicycle a good form of transportation?)

I just have a ton of questions regarding the move. Is it a smart thing to do?
Is there a lot of job opportunities in my field? Also, how much cash would be ideal to take with me until i find a job(minimum)?

I have lived in California and I loved it, mostly because the pace is fast and the people don't stay doing the same thing. Here in Dallas it is totally the opposite, you could spend months or years doing the same activities, and frankly I am tired of it. I grew up in California and had a chance to move for 6 months in 2008 and even then I didn't really get to do anything fun.

Miami just seems perfect, well any part of Florida seems perfect, but I have become too concerned with planning things ahead of time as I've been getting older and oh boy do I hate it, but I realize it's a good part of growing up.
Which is why I need to be well informed with how everything is in Florida.

The partying is a given, we will do that, but mostly I am looking for fun that doesn't require me being at a club 3 nights a week either.

How do the apartment prices range in Miami? or Florida in general?

I am bilingual so will that help me in finding a job faster?

I think I've posted most of the questions that should be most important(i think) if there is anything I've missed please let me know so I can take that into consideration as well.
Miami is not CA. I am very familar with CA. Miami is a very different lifestyle to CA. In CA, you can go to wineries, hiking in the mountains, golfing in the desert, fly to San Fran quickly, same for Vegas, and you have the beach (although the ocean is freezing on west coast). South Florida is not CA in that respect. It doesn't offer that type of diversity in activities. South Florida does have a very useable ocean. The water temp is comfortable. You can jet ski without a wetsuit. Nice! And there are lots of great places to eat and you can go to the Caribbean and South America pretty easily. Also, the everglades, scuba, and nice communities to visit up and down the coast. For example, if you wanted to get out Miami for the weekend, you could drive an hour up to Delray beach (great town) and stay at nice resort, golf, eat, shop and it would be totally different than Miami. Miami has a very international feel to it. Lots of Europeans and south Americans. I don't find that an overtly bad thing, but some do. The main thing that worries me about your comments is that you got bored in TX. If you don't embrace the different things that you can do in SF, you could get bored quickly. Also, Miami is not an easy town to make friends.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM

389 posts, read 1,083,598 times
And you really should secure a job before moving down here. The Real Estate industry is not very good being that the housing market got hit hard here.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
"And there are lots of great places to eat"

but most are obscenely expensive.

"Also, Miami is not an easy town to make friends."

extremely true.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
"And there are lots of great places to eat"

but most are obscenely expensive.

"Also, Miami is not an easy town to make friends."

extremely true.
Same in NYC. Everyone talks about NYC's culture and food, but it is all outrageously expensive. Have a steak at Del Frisco's...silly expensive ($65 for a filet, not including sides).

I had a delicious steak at Prime 112 in SB and also at the Capital Grill in Brickell. Yummy.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,850 times
You should secure a job before moving any where in the nation, but more so in Miami. Aside from partying all night long, there is not much to do here. There is no real outdoor nature except the Everglades, and that gets boring after the first trip. No mountains or lakes, the beach is nice, but again, it gets boring after the first summer. My gut feeling is that you won't like Miami if you come from CA. Totally different lifestyles. An apartment in a nice area, two bedrooms two baths, should be around $1500. You MUST have a car. You can use your bike if you use it for short distances, but in summer (9 months of the year) it is 95 degrees outside with hot sun and high humidity, you would hate your bike.....Good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Jpain: I don't know how long you lived in Dallas for, but since you're originally from California (What part?) I'll give you a San Diegan's perspective.. There is NOTHING, in California at least, that can possibly prepare you for the wall of humidity you will encounter in South Florida! Prepare yourself for a jarring shock!! That being said, there is nothing that guarantees that you will react adversely to that wet environment. you may find that you love it, but you're going to have to experience it for yourself to know whether you love or hate it. Your reaction will almost assuredly not be neutral! Personally I love it --- even if it does fog up my glasses!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami