Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,137 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm yet another person on here looking for moving advice. Anyone to post a reply would be greatly appreciated.

It's me and my girlfriend, both in our early 20's, that want to move down there. Currently on Long Island, though I'm not sure if that matters.

We were down there recently and, compared to NYC, were very impressed with the Bayfront Park area. In fact, there is an apartment building a few blocks away that looked interesting. Is that a decent area? It looked it.

Anyway, we are looking for apartments, with around $1,000 for rent as our goal. We want an area that is nice and safe (like I'm sure everyone else does) but doesn't have to be near a hotbed of entertainment, just a nice place to live.

Is the Bayfront Park area a good area? Any other recommendations on where to look? Thanks so much for any and all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,425,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cechmanek32 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm yet another person on here looking for moving advice. Anyone to post a reply would be greatly appreciated.

It's me and my girlfriend, both in our early 20's, that want to move down there. Currently on Long Island, though I'm not sure if that matters.

We were down there recently and, compared to NYC, were very impressed with the Bayfront Park area. In fact, there is an apartment building a few blocks away that looked interesting. Is that a decent area? It looked it.

Anyway, we are looking for apartments, with around $1,000 for rent as our goal. We want an area that is nice and safe (like I'm sure everyone else does) but doesn't have to be near a hotbed of entertainment, just a nice place to live.

Is the Bayfront Park area a good area? Any other recommendations on where to look? Thanks so much for any and all responses!
It's kinda like Flatbush at Prospect Park or the north side of Central Park. It's ok, but it's not far from areas that are not so ok, so you have to deal with some of the elements that float into the area. You should look more in Miami Beach or Brickell, that would be better for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,371,803 times
I will agree the area is ok, I probably wouldn't walk the dogs around there at night by myself if that give you any idea what the area is like. The problem with that area is after people go home during the week, there isn't much down there, so its pretty dead. The same for the weekends. If you just want a place you can drive in, park, go into your apartment an then drive out again you should be fine.

Not sure what the rent is in Brickell for a small 1 bedroom, I would suggest at least checking that area out. South Beach you can probably find a small one bedroom, nothing fancy probably no parking, but you would be a better area. A friend of mine is paying $650 for a tiny studio no parking in South Beach, so you should be able to find a one bedroom for $1000.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 AM

221 posts, read 450,783 times
Don't move. The glitzy glamor of Miami will wear off after a few months and you will hate it. The traffic, the people, the layout of the urban area...

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,291,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cechmanek32 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Don't move. The glitzy glamor of Miami will wear off after a few months and you will hate it. The traffic, the people, the layout of the urban area...
Yes, the lack of traffic, great people and fine weather of Long Island should keep you there for years to come.

I would say the biggest issue for you is the job market. South Florida doesn't offer a lot of high paying jobs. And jobs in the "service/food/hotel" side of the economy are hard to come by. Miami can be a lot of fun, but it is very different than the NY area. That being said, your young enough to go down and give it a go. Try it out and see if it fits you. If not, you can always move back to the NY area.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:28 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,515,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Yes, the lack of traffic, great people and fine weather of Long Island should keep you there for years to come.

I would say the biggest issue for you is the job market. South Florida doesn't offer a lot of high paying jobs. And jobs in the "service/food/hotel" side of the economy are hard to come by. Miami can be a lot of fun, but it is very different than the NY area. That being said, your young enough to go down and give it a go. Try it out and see if it fits you. If not, you can always move back to the NY area.
I agree with this. Have enough for six months, (really, try to find a place with six months lease. If you find out Miami isn't it, you're not stuck. If you do like Miami, you'll probably find something better in that six months), and have a back up plan, back home, just in case.

It is not easy here, many jobs just absolutely do not pay what you are worth and your money really doesn't go very far here. It is not impossible to do and you may find that you truly enjoy it here.

But I also agree that many people get caught up in the "glitz and glamor" of Miami, get here and realize, that's just on t.v.

Regardless, have a savings, a back up plan and give it a try. You're young, this is exactly the time in your life that you're supposed to "go for it"; try new things.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM

26 posts, read 63,448 times
You should look a little north of Bayfront in Midtown. Midtown is like the "new" area of Miami that has a bunch of cute boutiques, bars, and restaurants popping up everywhere. You're right near the art district and blocks from downtown, not to mention right under the 195 bridge to Miami Beach!

It's better than Bayside area because traffic isnt as bad (its all on side/back roads) and less people congest the area. Do you guys plan to work in Miami? If so, you want to factor in how far you're driving to work because commuting can get a little messy.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,425,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcoastschoolsjenn View Post
You should look a little north of Bayfront in Midtown. Midtown is like the "new" area of Miami that has a bunch of cute boutiques, bars, and restaurants popping up everywhere. You're right near the art district and blocks from downtown, not to mention right under the 195 bridge to Miami Beach!

It's better than Bayside area because traffic isnt as bad (its all on side/back roads) and less people congest the area. Do you guys plan to work in Miami? If so, you want to factor in how far you're driving to work because commuting can get a little messy.

Good luck!
Uhhh, no.

Hell, why not just tell 'em to move to Overtown. The rent's real cheap, they have plenty of little shops and on street vendors and dope is half the price of what you'd pay on SoBe.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:23 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,905,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Uhhh, no.

Hell, why not just tell 'em to move to Overtown. The rent's real cheap, they have plenty of little shops and on street vendors and dope is half the price of what you'd pay on SoBe.
overtown in miami - Google Maps-Believe it or not this is in Overtown,not to bad looking of dwellings.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,252,325 times
thats the mistake i made. didnt realize that good looking areas could be ghettos. thats how we wound up renting our first place here by the border of florida city. we actually lucked out while we were there. there were apparently fist fights in the street but we were never around to see them.
we were going to renew for another year and then one morning we heard blood curdling screams coming from the upstairs neighbor and we had to call 911 on the cop that lived upstairs. something about waking up to screams like someone is being murdered upstairs changes you forever. (turned out to be a domestic dispute fortunately.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami