U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:54 PM

83 posts, read 193,229 times

Advertisements

...........hmm. You can use someone else's address. Its what many people I know did. How i avoided going to SW...as if CP were much better :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 AM

6,985 posts, read 5,545,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcentraluk View Post
I agree with doggiebus, if you have your heart set on Killian High, I would just live in the Killian district and avoid having to deal with the school board. I live in Palmetto Bay and love it but I think that the neighborhoods around the Falls and to the north (all of which are in Killian's district) are just as nice and, from what I can tell, the prices are a lower than in Palmetto Bay. Most people I know who live in Palmetto Bay do so in order to be zoned for Palmetto High and many are willing to pay a little more for that. It seems like you can get a nice home, for less, and have your son in the school you want.

I know you didn't suggest this but in case you had thought about it, I would definitely not try to lie about your address to get your son into a different school. Dade County schools is cracking down on that sort of thing and as someone whose own parents did this, it is not worth the stress of worrying if you will be caught and the disruption caused to your child if/when you are caught (speaking from experience, we were caught when I was in 6th grade).
The OP mentioned that the motivation for going to Killian was a better baseball program. Athletes have to be extra careful about home school status. Athletic directors/coaches are vetting their players very carefully these days and the chances of an out of attendance zone student playing on a team is not good - particularly after the recent brouhaha at Krop Sr.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,515,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindravens View Post
...........hmm. You can use someone else's address. Its what many people I know did. How i avoided going to SW...as if CP were much better :-/

SW is better than CP imo cp was rated a D this year lol.... miami high has been graded a C for years..

Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM

796 posts, read 1,645,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
SW is better than CP imo cp was rated a D this year lol.... miami high has been graded a C for years..
Hey hey...no ragging on CP! I went there years ago (when it was a good school) and I have heard that it's been going downhill...that's too bad.

I still remember the SW/CP football game being called the Toilet Bowl...

Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,626,989 times
Since when has Southwest been considered a bad school?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 PM

83 posts, read 193,229 times
SW is ref central - so since at least i used to know about it, say 8-9 y-ago its been a dump lol, cp has gone to hell too, i remember we had what 3 principals in 3 years. POS if u ask me - but whatever school gave me nice friends :-) can't hate on that.

Though i'd still prefer cp over sw, however - maybe not in football haha

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 PM

17,450 posts, read 14,478,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
Is it possible to live in one school district but go to another districts high school? Love the Palmetto Bay area but prefer Killian High School (better baseball program)

Your concern is over a darn baseball program? How about quality of education? Safety? Other activities available?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindravens View Post
SW is ref central - so since at least i used to know about it, say 8-9 y-ago its been a dump lol, cp has gone to hell too, i remember we had what 3 principals in 3 years. POS if u ask me - but whatever school gave me nice friends :-) can't hate on that.

Though i'd still prefer cp over sw, however - maybe not in football haha
What does "ref" mean? Southwest has always had a decent reputation, as far as I know. It's not considered as "good" as Killian or Palmetto but I didn't know anyone who particularly avoided going there. Are a lot of kids not from the neighborhood bused in now?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 AM

54 posts, read 306,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Your concern is over a darn baseball program? How about quality of education? Safety? Other activities available?

I am absolutely concerned with the quality of education. Above and beyond that the Killian baseball coach currently has 13 of his ball players on the University of Miami baseball roster! Six of those players are Killian graduates and the other 8 are from a travel team he coaches. Obviously he's doing something right over there. Think the U has a pretty good reputation don't you? I'm thinking long term, his high school is just a stepping stone for college and I want to place him in the best position to succeed. Killian also has the iprep program in place where kids can earn up to 40 college credits while still in high school. The coach highly encourages all his players to join the program and keep their grades up. If you have anything productive to say I would love to hear it otherwise you should really keep your unsolicited "opinions" to yourself.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
I am absolutely concerned with the quality of education. Above and beyond that the Killian baseball coach currently has 13 of his ball players on the University of Miami baseball roster! Six of those players are Killian graduates and the other 8 are from a travel team he coaches. Obviously he's doing something right over there. Think the U has a pretty good reputation don't you? I'm thinking long term, his high school is just a stepping stone for college and I want to place him in the best position to succeed. Killian also has the iprep program in place where kids can earn up to 40 college credits while still in high school. The coach highly encourages all his players to join the program and keep their grades up. If you have anything productive to say I would love to hear it otherwise you should really keep your unsolicited "opinions" to yourself.
I've heard that getting approval for your child to attend an out-of-zone school can be somewhat arbitrary. I also can tell you that it seems to be a lot easier to get approval for your child to attend an out-of-zone elementary school than an out-of-zone high school. For elementary school, people use a lot of excuses: aunt works at school junior wants to attend, parent works far away and wants junior in a school right by work, etc. For high school, it's assumed that the kid is capable of getting himself ready in the morning and walking to the bus stop to be taken to the locally-zoned school. There's a lot less leeway for excuses, and I fear that wanting to send your son to Killian for its baseball program won't be seen as a compelling excuse, especially if (I'm assuming this from the thread; correct me if I'm wrong) you're from out of town and haven't even bought a house yet.

Personally, I like the Falls/Baptist Hospital area a little more than Palmetto Bay, and if you lived in the former area, you wouldn't have to deal with trying to jump through hoops to get your son into Killian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or