Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times

Advertisements

I know this had been discussed before, but for up to date information, where can one take a conversational Spanish class? Not for a grade, not for a diploma, just to learn it.

I don't want to learn how to write it now, just speak.

Gracias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 AM

136 posts, read 481,714 times
Miami-Dade College offers community courses in various languages at all its campuses. They usually mail out a catalogue before the start of each semester. They seem pretty affordable. I'm thinking of taking conversational Italian at their Wolfson campus, downtown.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Thanks... looking at it now, it looks like they have "Beginning Spanish Conversation," "Everyday Spanish 1 & 2" and "Intensive Spanish 1-6."

I wonder what the difference between them is? The 1 series for Everyday and Intensive both say they're for beginners.

Not a bad price either way, $149 for 42 hours.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 PM

136 posts, read 481,714 times
Buena suerte!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:33 PM

193 posts, read 371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Thanks... looking at it now, it looks like they have "Beginning Spanish Conversation," "Everyday Spanish 1 & 2" and "Intensive Spanish 1-6."

I wonder what the difference between them is? The 1 series for Everyday and Intensive both say they're for beginners.

Not a bad price either way, $149 for 42 hours.
UM has an intensive one week course too, but it's pricey and I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. UM also does evening classes in Spanish, again they are pricey.

Miami-Dade College also gives salsa dancing lessons... should you be wishing to meet and engage with some sultry senoritas....

Last edited by thelion; 05-20-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Quote:
I know this had been discussed before, but for up to date information, where can one take a conversational Spanish class? Not for a grade, not for a diploma, just to learn it.

I don't want to learn how to write it now, just speak.

Gracias
Another good option is to join a meet-up group for people who want to learn/practice their Spanish or to find a tutor for $20-30/hour (this is the going rate, I believe) on Craigslist. When I was a student, I sometimes tutored Spanish for a few hours per week- one older woman just wanted to talk to me about different subjects and didn't care about learning grammar, etc. She said she just wanted to be able to travel in the Spanish-speaking world and talk to people in restaurants/stores where Spanish was spoken here in the U.S.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
UM has an intensive one week course too, but it's pricey and I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. UM also does evening classes in Spanish, again they are pricey.

Miami-Dade College also gives salsa dancing lessons... should you be wishing to meet and engage with some sultry senoritas....
Will check them out, thanks!

And muy bien to the sultry senoritas. The only issue is I don't like to dance. Now, if we have a wine aficionado classes with other sultry senoritas, then we're talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Another good option is to join a meet-up group for people who want to learn/practice their Spanish or to find a tutor for $20-30/hour (this is the going rate, I believe) on Craigslist. When I was a student, I sometimes tutored Spanish for a few hours per week- one older woman just wanted to talk to me about different subjects and didn't care about learning grammar, etc. She said she just wanted to be able to travel in the Spanish-speaking world and talk to people in restaurants/stores where Spanish was spoken here in the U.S.

Thanks, I've looked in to Meet Up, but didn't see any groups about that.

I'd really like to start a weekly wine samplers Meet Up. Have it in the social room of the building. Everyone brings a bottle of wine and their own glass. Everyone can then sample other wines and see what's good and what's not. I often find I buy a bottle and then don't like it, only then to throw it out. I'm not sure how well it would be received, though.

I'm not too concerned with learning grammar, either. I just want to be able to communicate with others verbally.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Quote:

I'm not too concerned with learning grammar, either. I just want to be able to communicate with others verbally.
Reading and writing Spanish in the easy part - you should take the time for it- first in fact. It's way easier than English. You could probably learn that in a day. Do that, and it will warp speed your other learning. Understand Spoken Spanish is the hard part. Cubans don't pronounce s for example. "Como eta uted?" Mexican Spanish is much clearer to me.

Try translating music.

Download this song, fetch the lyrics at musica.com, then pop 'em in google translate. Marciano's pronunciation is very clear, the song is great you'll enjoy it, and besides learning several hundred words from this one song, you learn a bit of the culture.

YouTube - ‪Enanitos Verdes - Lamento Boliviano (video oficial)‬‏

Old 05-21-2011, 04:29 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Reading and writing Spanish in the easy part - you should take the time for it- first in fact. It's way easier than English. You could probably learn that in a day. Do that, and it will warp speed your other learning. Understand Spoken Spanish is the hard part.

------

Sorry, but you don't have the foggiest notion of what you're talking about.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Coconut

Why not a Weekly wine samplers Meet Up in Spanish?
After a couple of bottles of Jumilla wine you'll be talking in Aramaic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami