Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 15,808 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 year old greek guy and since im in a crazy party mood and got pissed off of the ****ing situation here i have lil thoughts about moving out.

I like night life,i like chicks and i like the sun and the beach(i got a high sun tolerance im caucassian but got a slight brown touch on it so at summer in greece for example after first days i dont need antisun oils except my face).Also i like capoeira and i hear theres activity in Miami so that is settled to.

I don't have a degree yet and i don't speak spanish.So i wanna hear if i got any chances surviving there.I don't ask for a super job or spending 500 dollars per night or anything.

I'm willing to work hard and live in small house for starters.
I wanna hear opinions ppl,i checked some threads but i want ppl to comment here and tell me.I dont want overpositive or negative views just views based on reality.

I know its kinda hard there but paying for a coffee 4 euros in greece in cafeterias close to my house in an area with nothing rlly to do is not cool either.When you got the highest taxes in europe,unenployment and 0 services while getting 600 euros it looks like you can survive the worse so why not in a better place?

So i just ask for a job capable of paying for my survivability spend time in the beach or outside and doing capoeira.Maybe hit some clubs at saturday night to .Neither i want a ferrari nor to live in the road homeless ofc.
Thanks before hand for the tips pals.

NOTE:i saw a vid about miami beach.It is like the beach area of Miami or different city?For example athens has some places where u still call it athens but they are bit different.Peiraus for example the port of athens.

Last edited by Triantafyllos; 02-14-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,296,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triantafyllos View Post
I'm 24 year old greek guy and since im in a crazy party mood and got pissed off of the ****ing situation here i have lil thoughts about moving out.

I like night life,i like chicks and i like the sun and the beach(i got a high sun tolerance im caucassian but got a slight brown touch on it so at summer in greece for example after first days i dont need antisun oils except my face).Also i like capoeira and i hear theres activity in Miami so that is settled to.

I don't have a degree yet and i don't speak spanish.So i wanna hear if i got any chances surviving there.I don't ask for a super job or spending 500 dollars per night or anything.

I'm willing to work hard and live in small house for starters.
I wanna hear opinions ppl,i checked some threads but i want ppl to comment here and tell me.I dont want overpositive or negative views just views based on reality.

I know its kinda hard there but paying for a coffee 4 euros in greece in cafeterias close to my house in an area with nothing rlly to do is not cool either.When you got the highest taxes in europe,unenployment and 0 services while getting 600 euros it looks like you can survive the worse so why not in a better place?

So i just ask for a job capable of paying for my survivability spend time in the beach or outside and doing capoeira.Maybe hit some clubs at saturday night to .Neither i want a ferrari nor to live in the road homeless ofc.
Thanks before hand for the tips pals.

NOTE:i saw a vid about miami beach.It is like the beach area of Miami or different city?For example athens has some places where u still call it athens but they are bit different.Peiraus for example the port of athens.
I think you will hate Miami because you won't have enough money to enjoy it. If you're just getting by, Miami is a frustrating place to live. One big difference here in the states versus Europe is that you get all of your healthcare paid for by the state. That is not the case here in the U.S. so when you're not making that much money, you won't have a lot to just throw away chasing girls. Of course, all those freebies in Europe broke Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain, but that's a story for another day. Bottom line: make sure you compare apples to apples before you make the move. A lot of things that you get from Greece, you won't get here in the U.S. I think Miami is a great city and I love all it has to offer, but I know when you don't have a lot of money to spend each month, Miami can be hell.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM

I get nothing from greece except family ppl and places to go IF i got the money.The cheapest 1-room- house u can rent will cost 200-300 euros while the lowest pay is 592 euros.
As for nursing etc.I got 17 euros refund for a 100 euro pay at the dentist...
An avarage coffee at cafeteria here costs 3.50 euros(in expensive areas u pay 4.50)
The tax rate here is the highest in europe and alot of services(nonexistanst)are being cut off and payments are getting lower and lower while prices go up.

I don't compare it to Miami i just tell you so you dont think Greece is cheap to live(i wouldnt consider leaving if it was)

Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,701,118 times
I have lived in in Greece before, Miami now.

Miami is expensive, Greece maybe so, but not compared to Miami. Yes, 300 euros for a house, but it costs even more here and that will still get you in a crime filled ghetto, at least 300 euro rent will have you around decent people.

Dentists? try doing anything around here other than a simple filling and it will set you back over a grand, a filling alone depending on what it is will be a few hundred dollars.

But I ma not here to compare Greece to Miami, just letting you know it is no utopia here, place sucks if you do not have money, wages are ridiculously low compared to the cost of living.

My suggestion is to get hooked up with some cheesy tourist shop and work there, they hire people both legally and illegally and love to hire anyone other than an American citizen.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have lived in in Greece before, Miami now.

Miami is expensive, Greece maybe so, but not compared to Miami. Yes, 300 euros for a house, but it costs even more here and that will still get you in a crime filled ghetto, at least 300 euro rent will have you around decent people.

Dentists? try doing anything around here other than a simple filling and it will set you back over a grand, a filling alone depending on what it is will be a few hundred dollars.

But I ma not here to compare Greece to Miami, just letting you know it is no utopia here, place sucks if you do not have money, wages are ridiculously low compared to the cost of living.

My suggestion is to get hooked up with some cheesy tourist shop and work there, they hire people both legally and illegally and love to hire anyone other than an American citizen.
yeah the thing i wonder is for example with the money u get from that work what can u do in miami.cover first needs firsth then clubbing etc(except the essential capoeira fee :P)

Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,091,371 times
Man, you're not for real...!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,182,505 times
You also have to get a visa that allows you to stay and work legally, otherwise you'll have a difficult time landing a job above minimum wage.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM

dudes btw anyone know a site or something to learn about visas etc.Especially for miami/USA but in general for immigration.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 AM

30,161 posts, read 23,552,538 times
Don't you have some sort of office where you live to get the information you need for a visa?

Anyway, not speaking Spanish is going to set you back for many jobs but not all jobs. I've lived here 5 years and the two jobs I've had require the person to speak English, not Spanish.

You were talking about the price per month for a home or apartment in Greece and even though the Euro is higher than the dollar, that's still cheaper there than it is here. As someone else said, that price will get you in to the ghetto or, if you're very, very lucky, a very small apartment in a decent area. Small. SMALL.

What about transportation? How do you intend on getting around? If you think you're going to rely on the bus system, think again. The bus system here is a colossal joke. Maybe if you live near where you work and party, you'll be ok with walking or a bike but as much as I hate to say this, you really do need a car in this town.

And I hope your defensive driving skills are top notch because these people drive like utter morons around here. Do NOT be surprised to watch 6 people in front of you run the red light. Do NOT be surprised when someone in the left lane cuts the other 3 lanes off to turn right and then acts like you put HIM out. Do NOT be surprised to see serious road rage here. Do NOT be surprised to see people doing everything else BUT paying attention to driving.

Because of what has happened in Greece recently, I can see why you want to try something different but don't think that Miami is the golden goose. It's not. Maybe it will be easier than Greece right now, it probably will be, but you're not going to get very far here unless you have a degree in a field that is in high demand. Otherwise, you're going to be doing some low paying job, (and yes, the wages here are stupid, absolutely stupid compared to the cost of living), and be underappreciated.

And boxus is right, a lot of places seem to like hiring anyone else but Americans.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 PM

I dont speak spanish although i will start learning via the net or a tutor(my mother offered paying cause she wants me to know another language besides english ofc she doesnt know that gives extra chances of her having her son away :/ ).

Mmmm 300 euros wont give u a decent house.i talked about minimum price.It will also get u to a ghetto(prolly not as dangerous as there but still u can get beaten up and robbed they just dont have that many guns in greece).As for english i have the profieciency degree of michigan university on english.

I don't think Miami is like golden goose.I just want a city near the sea with nightlife and outdoor activities.Also i heared capoeira is pretty popular there and im 3 month capoeirista and not planning to ever give up.
As i said before besides products of first need i would just try to have a house close to the sea(10-20 mins walking distance or like 10 with bus would be ok)so i can **** around with friends and chicks(i bet i can be popular fast ppl usually like me note:US tend to love me ,they say i look like dane cook LOL)and do things like capoeira or roller blades.I dont ask for a high life just something normal and not living in a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami