U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 AM

23 posts, read 23,320 times

Advertisements

I will be doing residency training (Im a young single male doctor) in a South Miami hospital and don't want a traffic heavy commute. I speak intermediate Spanish and want to be around the Spanish speaking parts of Miami to get better and meet Latinas.

I don't want boring suburban neighborhoods like Kendall and like being around places where there are cafes and some people walking around. At the same time, one of my hobbies is cars and I have an eye catching car that I want safe, protected, and covered parking for.

After reading this forum, I have come up with the nicer parts of little havana to fit my desires, can anyone suggest anything else?

To summarize the requests organized with priority:

1. Have a commute without ridiculous (some if ok) traffic to S. Miami (Sunset and SW 62nd)
2. Be in a community with young attractive Latinas (prefer immigrants, not those you are 2nd generation, etc)
3. Be in a community where most people speak little English
4. Have some things be in walking distance, cafes, ethnic restaurants, etc.
5. Have some higher end apartments where my car would be safe
6. If possible (I know little havana does not have this), live in a highrise building with a view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,402,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga View Post

1. Have a commute without ridiculous (some if ok) traffic to S. Miami (Sunset and SW 62nd)
2. Be in a community with young attractive Latinas (prefer immigrants, not those you are 2nd generation, etc)
6. If possible (I know little havana does not have this), live in a highrise building with a view
Ok here is your problem. 3 and 4 do not go together. And 3 for the most part wont go with 5 or 6 either. Most new immigrants are either rich and live in homes or I guess some upscale apartments or are on the poorer end. Why you only want to meet 1st generation latin women I have no idea. And I am pretty sure you will change your mind on that once you actually meet them. There are not a huge amount of areas that have a lot of walking places. I mean a commute from South Beach or in Downtown Miami will not be bad at all to South Miami hospital so go ahead and look there. Thats your best best. After that there is miracle mile area too. And coconut grove. None of these areas commutes are bad. But also since these are some of the more modern and nicer areas of Miami thankfully most people do speak english there. If you want that "no speake english attitude" which I and many people in Miami hate then you will have to go to some of the suburbia areas of Little Havana which do not seem to be places you want to live in. This is Miami about 50% of the population is foreign born so you will find international people where ever you live.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:10 AM

23 posts, read 23,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Ok here is your problem. 3 and 4 do not go together. And 3 for the most part wont go with 5 or 6 either. Most new immigrants are either rich and live in homes or I guess some upscale apartments or are on the poorer end. Why you only want to meet 1st generation latin women I have no idea. And I am pretty sure you will change your mind on that once you actually meet them. There are not a huge amount of areas that have a lot of walking places. I mean a commute from South Beach or in Downtown Miami will not be bad at all to South Miami hospital so go ahead and look there. Thats your best best. After that there is miracle mile area too. And coconut grove. None of these areas commutes are bad. But also since these are some of the more modern and nicer areas of Miami thankfully most people do speak english there. If you want that "no speake english attitude" which I and many people in Miami hate then you will have to go to some of the suburbia areas of Little Havana which do not seem to be places you want to live in. This is Miami about 50% of the population is foreign born so you will find international people where ever you live.
thanks for the post. I did not expect all my desires to be met, hence they are arranged in order of preference. I prefer first generation immigrants because I have dated them (latinas) before and I am one myself (not hispanic myself but look it). I love the Spanish culture and want to enhance my Spanish to the point of being fluent and comfortable as this will help greatly in my career and future personal relations. I used to live in Sunny Isles for a year and fell in love with Miami but am looking for something very different now. I am also afraid south beach would be too expensive for a resident's salary, be too distracting, and have a much more tourist appeal. I spent a month living in Mexico with a local Mexicana and had a great time and my Spanish improved greatly.

So, how can I find a nicer apartment with around 1000 sqft which would keep my car safe?

Old 02-20-2011, 03:28 AM

4,928 posts, read 8,735,601 times
HAMMOCKS meets 1,2,3,4, and 6. I'd like to add 5, but some people might bash me just for it's location in Kendall - which is one of the safest neighborhoods in Dade., and one of the least ghetto. But you know, some people hate it just because their ex-boyfriends lives there.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,628,360 times
Quote:
I will be doing residency training (Im a young single male doctor) in a South Miami hospital and don't want a traffic heavy commute. I speak intermediate Spanish and want to be around the Spanish speaking parts of Miami to get better and meet Latinas.

I don't want boring suburban neighborhoods like Kendall and like being around places where there are cafes and some people walking around. At the same time, one of my hobbies is cars and I have an eye catching car that I want safe, protected, and covered parking for.

After reading this forum, I have come up with the nicer parts of little havana to fit my desires, can anyone suggest anything else?

Very interesting list of requests. I'm a bit perplexed by some of them but will comment.

1. South of Downtown Miami, rush hour traffic is worst going to the east and to the north. If you live anywhere between Downtown and South Miami and not too far to the west, you should be driving against the flow of traffic.

2. This is a hard request to address because immigrants/non-immigrants in Miami are pretty well-integrated, at least in a residential sense. South Miami, Coral Gables, Pinecrest, East Kendall, Sunset, Coconut Grove, etc. (all places that most people would recommend to a young doctor doing a residency at South Miami) aren't known as fresh-off-of-the-boat immigrant areas. Most of the "immigrants" there have been living in the US for 50 years and the great majority of the young people there are American-born.

I would say that the best places to meet young, Latin immigrants would be Brickell/Downtown and Doral, and I would recommend Brickell much more than Doral because Doral is very cookie-cutter/gated community suburban and mostly families. I have a couple of friends who live in highrises on the water in Brickell/Downtown and it seems that half or more of the people under the age of 30/35 in those buildings are originally from Latin America.

3. This is a peculiar wish. Many people in Miami are bilingual; why would you want to live in an area where most people don't speak English? In other words, if you care about living in a Spanish-speaking area, why would it bother you that many people also speak English? With that said, you might be surprised to learn that there are a lot fewer areas where most people don't speak English than is commonly believed. The working-class area between SW 8th Street and Flagler Street, west of Little Havana might actually fit that description, as would some bad areas to the northwest of Downtown like Allapatah. I would encourage you to revise your wish to "an area where most people speak Spanish and you hear a lot more Spanish than English in public." If you were okay with that, I would suggest the Coral Way area between Coral Gables and Brickell. It is a nice, middle-class area that is mostly Cuban and Cuban-American and has several newish mid-rise buildings with secure, underground parking.

4. Having a lot in walking distance rules out MOST areas. You're pretty much left with Miami Beach, Surfside, Downtown/Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, downtown South Miami, Coral Way area, and Dadeland area.

5. Lots of areas have high-end apartment buildings with secure parking. Coral Way area, Brickell/Downtown, Dadeland area, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach, Surfside, Bay Harbor Islands, North Bay Village, Aventura, Sunny Isles Beach come to mind.

6. See response number 5.

In conclusion, I would recommend Downtown/Brickell or the Coral Way area to you. These areas have almost everything you would want and would be good areas for a young doctor to live and to meet other young people.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,180,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
HAMMOCKS meets 1,2,3,4, and 6. I'd like to add 5, but some people might bash me just for it's location in Kendall.
1.) Nope. You wouldn't like the commute at all, and now there are new tolls to get east.
4.) Only if you consider strip malls anchored by Publix or Winn Dixie, on both sides of major roads, with huge surface parking lots to be walkable...west Kendall is the epitome of suburban sprawl.
5.) Most likely you'll get a surface lot surrounding the complex.
6.) No chance in hell.

How about downtown South Miami itself???? If not that, then Dadeland. The Shops of Sunset Place and nearby Dadeland Mall are perhaps a huge draw for young latinas. Though I have to admit, you'd be hard pressed to find 1000 sq ft. in a "luxury" building on a resident salary. Many medical residents live in Brickell/Downtown high rises (secure, garage parking with luxury amenities) with roommates, it just depends how you feel about roommates...

Old 02-20-2011, 02:52 PM

South Miami? That'd only cover # 1

Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 PM

3,407 posts, read 7,744,962 times
Quote:

Coral Gables, Cutler Ridge, Brickell, Key Biscayne (if you can afford it)

Little Havana, Kendall, Downtown Miami, Miami Proper

The NW 36th area (not the Dominican part, but the other part)

Nw 36 area, Little Havana

Coral Gables, Cutler Ridge, Pinecrest, Key Biscayne

Downtown Miami

If I were you I would stick to Brickell or Downtown Miami. There are some gringas but mostly Latinas. Highrises on the bay are nice and safe with security and/or valet.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't think you guys even care what this guy wrote in his list.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM

5,515 posts, read 4,456,477 times
North Miami, like around Charleston.

Last edited by buddy5; 02-20-2011 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: what part of Miami should i move to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami