Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 67,242 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I figured miami would be the best place to ask for advice regarding the best place for a vacation in a couple weeks... I'm a male in my mid twenties and looking for the best place to get away for a week or so. Ironically, I have little interest in the nightlife/club scene/spring break fiasco... I'm looking for the most relaxed place with as few stupid college kids on spring break as possible(no offense to stupid college kids, I used to be one). I have been to South Beach before in the summer and it was really nice(especially at night).. I liked the fact that you could just walk around the area and be entertained without having to actually drink, but I imagine in March(7th to the 11th area) it might be a lot more crowded. I also read that Fort Lauderdale is trying to push away college kids at spring break time, so that would be a plus.

So in terms of positives and negatives, I'm thinking...

South Beach:
More walkable, interesting(even if not clubbing/drinking).
Nicer, whiter(sand color) beaches.
Better area(or closer to an area) for snorkeling.

Negative: more expensive area, more expensive to fly into MIA as well

Fort Lauderdale:
Less crazy, but less walkable... doesn't seem like it has the same tropical feel from the photographs I've seen(but i mean it's less than an hour away... it still has that aqua colored ocean, right?)...

Beaches not quite as nice.

Is there an area of Miami Beach(specifically south miami beach) that doesn't get hit by Spring Break?...or maybe another area in south Florida that would be better?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,279,625 times
Ft. Lauderdale is just as nice in terms of foliage and water as Miami. It's walkable as well.

If you're looking for peace and quiet, look at Key Biscayne. The downside is there are few places to stay there. Even if you don't stay there, though, you could always go out there for the beach. Bill Baggs is very quiet, especially on weekdays.

Other options include Sunny Isles Beach and Hollywood Beach.

If you decide on Ft. Lauderdale, the W Ft. Lauderdale is selling their hotel rooms on Hotwire for around $100 per weekday night and $160 for a weekend night.

Miami Beach is going to be expensive for the dates you're looking at, not just because it's in season, but because a major music festival is going on at that time.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
You will like Ft. Lauderdale,

It still is fun, nice beaches, and is alright if for a short stay. The place did crack down a bit on the party harders, but it was more containment than actual cracking down, the city still is fun, but just does not let it get out of hand like some other places. After seeing the results of Miami Beach and Destin, I think it was a smart move.

I hang out in Ft/ Lauderdale a heck of a lot more than Miami Beach, I live in brickell and the drive is worth it to me. Miami beach is nice and fun, but there is just something dirty about Miami Beach that I don't like.

As for snorkeling, I never thought highly of snorkeling in Florida, at least right off the beaches.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,949,977 times
Well Fort Lauderdale to Miami Beach is going to be busy no matter what. Fort Lauderdale probably a bit less. Southwest Florida seems like a much better choice for you. Key Biscayne would be a decent choice but not really walkable. If you are not into nightlife, bars busy areas just do not waste your time with the Miami area that is not a place you go to if you do not want to be in a city.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think Fort Lauderale sounds like the best and cheapest choice... the only real snorkeling is in Key Biscayne it seems...and that doesnt looks that great.... I was wondering though.. what are the rules regarding swimming at night/being on the beach, on either miami beach(north or south) or Fort Lauderdale? If it is illegal, in which place do you think the cops are more vigilant about enforcing the law?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,251,509 times
turtle: i know there is some good snorkeling off lauderdale by the sea but i havent been up there to check it out. video i found on youtube below. ive seen staghorn coral off fort lauderdale so there are some patches of healthy reef up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-jT...eature=related

Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Figured I would check in to give my thoughts on my vacation to Miami Beach(south beach). The beach was really nice. Not as crazy crowed as I thought it would be. This is definitely a purely vacation town(south beach). no real culture or at least I didn't have any sense of it(only constant partying, literally). I was actually disappointed that it wasn't very humid(i like humidity, especially in a tropical setting), but most people would enjoy a more dry feel i imagine...weather was perfect despite lack of humidity(70's everyday, perfect nights as well). The restaurants along ocean drive are well over-priced at night for dinner... the breakfasts are surprisingly reasonable, however. Another negative was the constant smoking... I didn't realize people could still smoke in clubs here... that was a turn-off(again some people might enjoy this aspect). Latin culture was predominate of course, with Spanish being heard everywhere. I didn't experience the rude behavior, however, that I hear so much about on this forum...most people seemed pretty respectful...i didn't hear some very, very loud yelling and fights outside my hotel room at night though.

The best thing is definitely the beach(which gets deserted at night, making it a very peaceful getaway from the chaotic party scene). But Miami(south beach at least) is just too much for me, feels too fabricated, too much posturing... huge emphasis on sex(not necessarily a bad thing, just seems like it's the only thing on everyone's mind)...it definately doesn't have the same "cerebral" feel of Boston...everything is stuck in some sort of haze.... Maybe at one point in time their was a cool, hip south beach, i dunno, but it's not there anymore... it's just one big tourist trap... a good place to go if your in college, want to go get drunk every night and chase girls...but other than that, i think there are better "tropical" destinations for a vacation...to each his own i guess.

I'm wondering if anyone has any comparisons regarding Rio de Janeiro vs South Beach(as far as a beach city is concerned)... Is Rio more "real"? Or has Copacabana turned into a tourist trap like South Beach?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,251,509 times
turtle: youre here in the winter in the middle of snowbird season. the local population gets heavily diluted by people from out of town.

when it starts to heat up everyone gets out of dodge
right now is as good as it gets.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,054,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle25 View Post
Figured I would check in to give my thoughts on my vacation to Miami Beach(south beach). The beach was really nice. Not as crazy crowed as I thought it would be. This is definitely a purely vacation town(south beach). no real culture or at least I didn't have any sense of it(only constant partying, literally). I was actually disappointed that it wasn't very humid(i like humidity, especially in a tropical setting), but most people would enjoy a more dry feel i imagine...weather was perfect despite lack of humidity(70's everyday, perfect nights as well). The restaurants along ocean drive are well over-priced at night for dinner... the breakfasts are surprisingly reasonable, however. Another negative was the constant smoking... I didn't realize people could still smoke in clubs here... that was a turn-off(again some people might enjoy this aspect). Latin culture was predominate of course, with Spanish being heard everywhere. I didn't experience the rude behavior, however, that I hear so much about on this forum...most people seemed pretty respectful...i didn't hear some very, very loud yelling and fights outside my hotel room at night though.

The best thing is definitely the beach(which gets deserted at night, making it a very peaceful getaway from the chaotic party scene). But Miami(south beach at least) is just too much for me, feels too fabricated, too much posturing... huge emphasis on sex(not necessarily a bad thing, just seems like it's the only thing on everyone's mind)...it definately doesn't have the same "cerebral" feel of Boston...everything is stuck in some sort of haze.... Maybe at one point in time their was a cool, hip south beach, i dunno, but it's not there anymore... it's just one big tourist trap... a good place to go if your in college, want to go get drunk every night and chase girls...but other than that, i think there are better "tropical" destinations for a vacation...to each his own i guess.

I'm wondering if anyone has any comparisons regarding Rio de Janeiro vs South Beach(as far as a beach city is concerned)... Is Rio more "real"? Or has Copacabana turned into a tourist trap like South Beach?

Copacaba is a dump ... I was there a few weeks ago also it is extremely dangerous as you have the favelas ( shanty towns ) near by .... Ipanema is better , safer and more upscale and 30 minutes away you have the newer area - Barra De Tijuca which although newer and safer than old Rio
( Copacabana , Ipanema , Leblon ) but it is a Miami Beach wannabee as far as I am concerned .. Rio lives off its past glory ... it really is a huge dirty , dangerous city and very overrated as far as I am concerned .. if you want lovely beaches in Brazil go to the North East .. Recife , Fortaleza , Bahia or lovely european style beaches , nightlife and beautiful women .. go south to Florianopolis ... as to your first question I like Ft.Lauderdale Beach more than South Beach ... you have a beautiful , clean , safe beach right on A1A .. every bit as nice as South Beach sans the art deco ... you have Las Olas nearby with great bars and restaurants ... stay with Ft.Lauderdale .

Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,054,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle25 View Post

If transvestite hookers , crappy hotels , street urchins and pick pockets are your thing Copacabana is as "real " as it gets .. also all of Brazil is expensive as hell right now due to the strength of the Reai vs the Dollar .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami