Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM

34 posts, read 49,289 times

Advertisements

Okay..so the datefor me to set out for MIA is march 4th around 2pm..and it will take me 18+ of driving to rach there...so i was really curious..i hear that everythingis outrageously expensive..i was curious as to how far you would actually have to drive out of miami to get deals on stuff like grocery's gas and furniture..??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Just go to the hood and/or the flea. Act like a local, try not to stand out, you will only be asking for trouble

Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM

well i def will keep that in mind..it will prolly take me a week or so to get out of the vaction like mode when i first get there..but im sure i will...and thanks for the rep[ly???

Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Come to my hood and fancy around with the old ladies, there is a discount for that.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
You can find cheap stuff in MIA. They used to sell Tshirts in little shops on Collins just north of Lincoln for $2. Last time I was there I checked to see if those places were still there - they were - price up to $5.

We used to buy 6 packs for $2 and cigarettes two packs for a dollar. I know that's changed but still ...

We'd also buy groceries for almost nothing - pasta, fixins - pawn shops, craigslist for cheap mechandise it can be done dude.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Well bostoian i guess ill figure it out when i get down there lol..but thanks for the advice..only 10 days left and i cant wait...

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,811 times
Gas i9s pretty much the national average "in the hood"; much higher in Miami beach.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:28 AM

911 posts, read 1,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV2MIA View Post
Okay..so the datefor me to set out for MIA is march 4th around 2pm..and it will take me 18+ of driving to rach there...so i was really curious..i hear that everythingis outrageously expensive..i was curious as to how far you would actually have to drive out of miami to get deals on stuff like grocery's gas and furniture..??
Shopping is always interesting here. Gas prices can vary almost $.30 a gallon block to block. Non marked store prices can vary from whoever is working in the store at the time. Shop downtown and you can find people negotiable.

Parking downtown is interesting. Same lot has all day rates from $5-$40 and that varies what time you want to park and what's going on the day you park.

1/2 off usually means they have doubled the original price and watch out for "specials" as there is often fine print that's not printed anywhere.

There's little sense of real competition here. It's "get as much as you think you can" and now that you know that, it will pay you to shop around and ask questions assuming you speak fluent Spanish.

Sawgrass Mills mall is the least expensive place to buy mall clothes and the one Goodwill store I have been to was well organized and clean. There are many resale/consignment stores around too.

Food here is pricey, Canned sardines are cheap and Pork is much less than Beef. You have a choice of Grocery stores. Publix and Publix and while it has never been proven, some have said one Publix may be higher than another.

Don't shop in the tourist areas and be prepared to drive to Kmart, Walmart and Target. They are not on every corner here and usually in the nicer areas you may not be able to afford.

If you need transportation, there are many buy here/pay here car lots. Look west of US1 north of downtown and you'll be tripping over them. Expect broken English at best.

You can drive a scooter here under <50cc with only a car license and no insurance required. Buy one on Craigslist $250ish but make sure you get a title. It's often cheaper to buy a new used scooter than have one repaired.

Registering your vehicle is unreasonably expensive and insurance is some of the highest in the nation. You'll understand why you need insurance once you drive here for a day and there's no way around not having a license plate. Registration is 9 months not 12 like most cities, so pony up more often.

Bicycles, scooters are popular here and even more popular among thieves. Spend more on security than you do the item and watch where you park or you may be strolling along side the homeless.

Learn the city map here or you'll pay more. Some causeways cost money while others are free. The city clearly marks those that are paid but the free ones get no signs. There are also some no turn lanes that conveniently end at the entrances to the toll roads. ALWAYS keep a few dollars of cash on you for toll roads at least until next year when they stop taking cash at some, then get a Sunpass or pay even a higher price.

Shopping from individuals is always interesting. Don't expect people to call you back if you leave a message and even if you reach someone, don't be surprised if they won't show you the item when you want to look at it. Maimians value thier free time and are never short of excuses not to do something.

Shop during the week and avoid nights. The lines get long during peek times and stores are often understaffed. This is the only time you'll see a Miamian with patience.

Because this is such a "transient place". Miami Craigs list will have many more moving sales compared to other cities to buy things on the cheap as people bolt back to reality.

If you are a local, you can sometimes get a hookup. People who know you live here ( have pity on you) and often give you a break so making friends with the unfriendly here sometimes pays $ dividends.

Dress and act like you live here and never flash a wad of cash out shopping and trust nobody.

Welcome to Miami.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

18 posts, read 32,039 times
NW 20th street has a bunch of wholesale shops that are worth checking out. Publix is the major nice grocery chain, and I'm not impressed with their prices. Win Dixie is just as nice in my opinion and has better prices. There's also Price Choice, Presidente and your local grocers, I love my local Price Choice.

Avoid the gas stations on the beach and near the Highways and you'll get decent prices. Or go to a costco and fill up there... you'll need a membership though.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
If I EVER move from here I'm taking everything with me. I'd rather throw it all in a pile and burn it before I get haggled out of it by these people. (I'm quite serious)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami