Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
"The kind of city I have in mind, is the kind of place that has mostly small businesses on its main drags and when there is new of a "chain" trying to open, the comunity gets outraged and active in keeping it out."

you need a population that has transcended chain stores. we're nowhere near that sophisticated yet.
I wasn't implying that Now I sound like an even bigger ass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,269,437 times
I said it. you didn't. and dont worry having a bigger ass is an ASSet in miami.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,201,590 times
I used to have a big ass, but then I got thinner and it disappeared.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

observer: it takes most people six months of dade to become jaded and cynical. its a unavoidable fact. different people from different states become different styles of jaded personalities. its interesting because by now i can successfully predict what personality a person will become based on what state they came from. thats something i dont think many people expect - that moving here will change their personality so radically and also how the dynamics of their relationship with their wife or family will change due to that personality change. my dad in socal constantly tells me 'kill them with kindness' and i laugh and tell him how you'd be eaten alive if you tried that. there are alot of people who will interpret friendliness as weakness and target you for exploitation.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
observer: it takes most people six months of dade to become jaded and cynical. its a unavoidable fact. different people from different states become different styles of jaded personalities. its interesting because by now i can successfully predict what personality a person will become based on what state they came from. thats something i dont think many people expect - that moving here will change their personality so radically and also how the dynamics of their relationship with their wife or family will change due to that personality change. my dad in socal constantly tells me 'kill them with kindness' and i laugh and tell him how you'd be eaten alive if you tried that. there are alot of people who will interpret friendliness as weakness and target you for exploitation.

Guess for someone from Boston, Massachusetts. I'll tell you if your right Also your last statement is so true, I have been to kind down here!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,729 times
Hearing and reading from people that moved here from other places, 6 months sounds about right. In fact, with some about 6-8 weeks is all it takes. Just read posts from JM who moved here from Dallas.

I was not born in Miami, but was raised here. I have seen this city deteriorate over the last 20 years or so. West Kendall is a perfect example of the downslide of that part of the county. Back in the early to mid 80s, West Kendall was a very nice suburban neighborhood with very low crime. Over the years the demographic began to gradually change and graffitti could be seen at various places. West Kendall today even though is still a "preferred neighborhood" in Miami Dade (compared to most neighborhoods), it has 2x the property crime rate than the natural average. It does not feel at all like the West Kendall of 20-25 years ago.

I believe individually one can influence and make an impact on their environment, negatively or positively. However, an environment and ones surrounding can influence one as well in the same manner. If not at 1st, it definitely can over time. It feels like a Light bulb in my head keeps motivating me to plan a move SOON! In the mean time, I will enjoy what this place has to offer but I will keep planning.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM

As of right now I'm completely fine with miami but I can understand how it can be many people's personal hell. its like durian most westerners dont like it.
it is however one of the safest of the latin american countries to live in.
ill admit though watching the bizarre foods san francisco episode last night made me miss the culture there but i cant have that and have the tropical too so i stay.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM

146 posts, read 225,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Miami does it again, top five!! but of the worst once again...4th worst city to find a job.....14 jobs for every 1000 applicants.....NICE!

Worst Cities for Finding a Job in 2011 - Yahoo! Real Estate

Table 2. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state, selected metropolitan area, and metropolitan division(1)

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Don't move here if you don't have a job or if you are half way decent. Facts speak louder than words...
I hope nobody is surprised by this?

Not in any way embellishing a rather sorry state of affairs, but this is well-known. That 4% unemployment rate from 1996 - 2006 was the product of the housing bubble - namely, overheated construction and cheap credit.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Really sad, but the economists expect a new boom in 2012.Be patient
Really? No one picked up on this joke? I guess you bombed.

cixcell, as much as I hate to admit what you've said about becoming jaded, you are right. I came here happy, looking forward to meeting all kinds of people, learning about the different cultures, being around the traffic, the night life, the beaches.....Gah! It was so exciting!

The first three months I couldn't scrape my jaw off of the ground.
The next three months I actually felt personally insulted.
At the end of that six months, I got pissed. I've been pissed ever since.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM

21 posts, read 46,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Why don't you report that Miami was surveyed as the 6th most liveable city, oh thats right I did,kinda makes you wonder about these surveys huh.
Haha u kidding right

You didnt see the story on s fla biz journal where Forbes rated it 2nd most miserable city to live in, we are runner up for #1 next year.Would you like the link?

We got #1 in the nation with the most corrupt public officials...and look at who's running the state, the most corrupt governer to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami