Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM

199 posts, read 475,778 times

Advertisements

I am sure you have heard the saying about how "the view of New York is the best thing about New Jersey". That is how I feel about Broward. Broward is not so bad but it is much less interesting than Dade. I don't see people becoming super nice once I cross into Broward. I actually think they can be quite rude. The drivers there aren't so great either. The western areas are more posh but full of arrogant South Americans who think they are God's gift to the world. The white, non-hispanics are actually quite trashy. I remember a Dunkin Donuts I went to one night in Davie. Scary. Drugs seem to be pretty prevalent there also. The blacks aren't any better there either. Whenever I wake up to Channel 7 News, plenty of bad things coming from Broward. I do like the River Walk area and the museums they have there. Beaches are nice and night life is not too bad. But it lacks someting that makes be want to go back to Dade after a few hours. I prefer Broward over Texas, Ohio or other parts, it is South Florida (which I like very much), but I always remember when I went to see Diana Ross in concert many years ago in Plantation and the first thing she says when coming out is "I love you Miami!!!" Should have seen the people's faces. I laughed to no end. Miami puts Florida on the map, for whatever reason, not Broward.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
I am sure you have heard the saying about how "the view of New York is the best thing about New Jersey". That is how I feel about Broward. Broward is not so bad but it is much less interesting than Dade. I don't see people becoming super nice once I cross into Broward. I actually think they can be quite rude. The drivers there aren't so great either. The western areas are more posh but full of arrogant South Americans who think they are God's gift to the world. The white, non-hispanics are actually quite trashy. I remember a Dunkin Donuts I went to one night in Davie. Scary. Drugs seem to be pretty prevalent there also. The blacks aren't any better there either. Whenever I wake up to Channel 7 News, plenty of bad things coming from Broward. I do like the River Walk area and the museums they have there. Beaches are nice and night life is not too bad. But it lacks someting that makes be want to go back to Dade after a few hours. I prefer Broward over Texas, Ohio or other parts, it is South Florida (which I like very much), but I always remember when I went to see Diana Ross in concert many years ago in Plantation and the first thing she says when coming out is "I love you Miami!!!" Should have seen the people's faces. I laughed to no end. Miami puts Florida on the map, for whatever reason, not Broward.

Thats pretty spot on with how I view things.

Drugs are all over the place in Broward. While I was waiting for my coffee the other day at starbucks, the barista was talking to this eminem looking wannabe about how he needed to "re-up, I can buy it but I don't know enough people down here yet so I don't know if I can sell it". if he had a name tag on, I would have reported him.

Hollywood is straight trash except for a few pockets, I know, I lived there east of US-1 and its still shady. The beaches are so TRANSIENT, and a lot of crackheads at night. A friend of mine, a 35 year old male in good health said he didn't feel safe living there.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,136 times
Only reason i would learn spanish because where i work. The old cuban patients are just too nice and very appreciative of what i do for them . Now if its a 28 yr old kid straight from his country and acting like i owe him something then hes seriously in the wrong place

Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM

83 posts, read 216,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
what the hell is latino culture???
You misread what i wrote - I said latino cultures = there's many of them: cuban culture, bolivian culture, colombian culture and mexican culturen etc. Yeah they're all latinos but the variation that exists within them makes miami exciting. I don't think there's many other places in the US that have such a mix of different latino cultures and has generally large populations of each.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
LOL Bolivians

Do we have Titicacas here?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:28 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
LOL Bolivians

Do we have Titicacas here?
Gah!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
I said it in a good way. Titicaca is a lake there in SA and part of it belongs to Bolivia, so I used it as a territorial noun, just like "Mediterranean" or "Baltic".

Last edited by WINTERFRONT; 03-07-2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Broward is much more civil than most of Dade ...

most of the western suburbs offer a better quality of life than most of Dade ..

there are a holes in Broward as well ....

but not near as many as in Dade and the 3rd world mentality is not nearly as prevalent ..

yes there are white non hispanic scum bags in Broward .. but again not nearly as many as there are hispanic and other scumbags in Dade

.. drivers are much worse in Dade than in Broward .. I feel there is more order in Broward and although I actually do like many areas of Dade for their beauty ..

I feel there is simply more civility , less shallow posers and friendlier people in Broward ..

Broward is much more diverse than Dade ... not even close if diversity is your thing .
I agree on all points Rock, plus a lower cost of living, better laid out roads, better grocery stores and better fishing.

But, the big thing for me is the civility, not to say I have not encountered rude, crude and the extra scummy in FTL, just not nearly as much as Dade.

I was told to get out of a store this weekend after buying something because I had on a backpack. I was literally showed the door. This was the same guy who wears a side arm at work, so who was I to argue.

I really hate it here, not the city but the way people act. Dade, it's just not a pleasant place. Dade is incredibly beautiful in spots, but many of the people here, are a big fat UGH.

When I go to NYC and mention I'm from Texas, they usually welcome me to the city. When I tell someone in Miami I just came from Texas, they usually ask why I would do such a thing.

I haven't spoken to many who live in the burbs of Broward. I've been through Westin, Sunrise, coconut creek though and there's nothing there for me. My sights are set to Fort Lauderdale.

The people I have spoken with in FTL usually say that they try to stay out of Miami unless it's a must go, and I can see myself as just such a person.

It's beautiful in Miami no question, but it's not so pretty I'm willing to deal with the rest of what goes with it. Frankly, I feel caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea here all joking aside. Miami, it's not for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:29 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,635 times
I feel your pain man..good luck down there...I just left the area after being there for three long years, and relocated back to Houston.....South Florida is an awesome place to visit, bar none....but its a brutal place to live everyday with all the challenges of daily life

Old 03-07-2011, 04:14 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times
Logger

The worse and the most dangerous place I've been in South Florida during the 6 years I lived there was Davie.

The place was packed with white trash and redneck bimboettes, Police Cars and Police were just like the ones at Porky's. I've never seen so much moral destitution and defeated people in my life. That place is dangerous as hell, they burn crosses and could be capable of anything.

The place was similar to certain areas of Dade by then inhabited by white trash; several trailer parks at the end of Tamiami Trail, parts of Hialeah, Sweetwater and pockets right in the same Southwest. Hope they are gone from Dade.

Latins, any Latin, are immensely better than those people.

Broward is "el campo", Dade is the city.

Last edited by Manolón; 03-07-2011 at 04:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami