Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times

Advertisements

Hallelujah brother

Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i love ny View Post
We just put a bid on a house in Kendall in the falls area, nice to finally hear something positive about Miami and Kendall in particular! I have to say through the whole house hunting process we met so many people, from homeowners, school employees, store employees....everyone was friendly and helpful! My only complaint would be when people got behind the wheel of a car, then all bets are off but hey if I had to deal with US1 traffic all day I'm sure I would be the same way, better get some soft music on the ipod!
-----

I lived just besides The Falls, nice and strategic area. Nice houses.
Yes, traffic is a mess.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:22 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead Shrike View Post
Generally I am no big fan of the recently arrived from Cuba either. Very different from the earlier waves. Some of them are very nice, hard-working people though. The latins in Dade are varied enough so I don't consider most of them chongos. I also prefer the "chongo" element over the "eminem" crowd. Very common in Broward.

Kendall, which is where I live, has horrible traffic. Aside from that, I consider it much better than Davie and most of Broward. Broward has too many "pockets" of ok areas surrounded by bad areas. A few blocks down from anywhere gets bad. The Hammocks turns into Kendall turns into Westchester turns into Sweetwater turns into Doral and I feel things don't change too much. East Dade might be more like Broward though Coral Gables-South Miami-Pinecrest is a pretty large swath of nice neighborhoods. I don't like NE Dade, or N. Dade in general. Broward even less. Guess I am just very "Sauesero"

BTW, went to Chipotle, Starbucks, Pollo Tropical and a few other places this weekend in Kendall. Everyone said "Thank You" and doors were held open. Did have a couple of indifferent employees in a few stores, but never rude.
good post. I know many recently arrived cubans and other immigrants who are hard working people. Also your customer service experience matches what I receive in SW Miami. To me the only exception is Homestead. Some people there are very rude. I guess they get used to treating Mexicans like trash and treat everyone else the same way.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I just lost all respect for you ... I could handle the long winded verbose nonsensical "Ricardo Montalbanish " posts but outright untruths are uncool .. but you obviously have not been to Davie in many years ... yes many years ago it was horse country and there were many red necks ... most of Davie is no longer that way and in fact some of the nicest gated communities and neighborhoods anywhere in South Florida are in Davie , especially West Davie ... nobody burns crosses in Davie .... the last time that happened was over forty years ago .... Davie is probably 35-40 % Hispanic and most are professional educated and upscale ..... any Latin .. huh ... really tell that to my wife who is Latin ... ask her to pick between say Western Davie and Hialeah , Westchester or Kendall ... you need to know your facts before you post garbage .
I would rather live in Hialeah than Davie. The only reason they don't burn crosses anymore is because that would get them arrested but if they could they would. The Davie racist legacy remains and it attracts a lot of racist people flying their confederate flags. Racist incidents in Davie have been documented often in the board... Like people being called the N word. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that hell.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
attracts a lot of racist people flying their confederate flags.
I thought that was just a Tallahassee thing. We stopped for gas on our way to Miami and bubba in his pickup had a flag license plate and a gun rack. We hadn't seen one of those in years (the flag).

This is my thread, so let's not get into the racist thing. It's not about race it's about civility. I hate the white uncivilized as well and you can't say all cubans or any other races are the problem. Every race is just as suspect as the other here.

Whatever did happen and how this place got changed, I don't know but there seems to be a level of acceptance of the behavior here. Miami has become "Miami it is what it is" and people seem to accept their fate rather than try to change it for the better.

Somewhere along the line, not returning phone calls or emails became acceptable here so people don't get too upset. "It's just the way Miami is" is NOT a good excuse for people turning right from the left hand lane on I95. We don't have that in other US cities to anywhere near the same degree. Why is that more acceptable in Miami?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM

264 posts, read 774,265 times
This thread delivers

Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I would rather live in Hialeah than Davie. The only reason they don't burn crosses anymore is because that would get them arrested but if they could they would. The Davie racist legacy remains and it attracts a lot of racist people flying their confederate flags. Racist incidents in Davie have been documented often in the board... Like people being called the N word. You couldn't pay me enough to live in that hell.
Good for you ... I respect all differences of opinion .. you do realize that most of Davie borders either Weston , or Cooper City ... two superb places both with excellent standards of living ... also by the way Weston is almost 50% Hispanic .. with most of these being educated professionals .. just the type the Klan and cross burners that you claim live nearby in Davie hate ... funny how the four years I lived in Weston .. I saw no confederate flags , or crosses burning in front of any homes near or around Weston ... the city is also very Jewish .. never heard any Jewish friends or neighbors being lynched or even bothered by the "racist hordes" in nearby Davie yes Davie has its share of a holes .. like anywhere else .. but the racist white trash elements have all but moved out all but replaced by New Yorkers , natives of New Jersey , Rhode Island and Connecticut as well as South Americans .. Davie was a white trash haven many , many years ago ... many of these have moved to NC and other "white nirvanas" .... good for you glad you would rather live in Hialeah .... me no way ... I only go to Hialeah to get good Cuban food every once in a while .. also your post is full of errors and untruths about current Davie ... but if you like Hialeah , than more power to you .

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,301 times
hey Jmlacysr IM FROM DALLAS BUT GUESS WHAT I LOVE MIAMI IS ONE OF THE BEST PLACES I EVER BEEN I LIVE IN KENDALL . in dallas all u find is mexican who are more criminals than here ... you find a dead person in very conner there ... the only good places are plano nad mesquite ... if you dont like miami you should go back to farmville

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
I'm going to be very serious for a second.

I can't change Miami and I can't change the way I view it. My experiences here have been both positive and negative. I have no problem at all that it's so heavily Hispanic and Black. I knew that when I moved here.

What I didn't know was what it was like living with two cultures I knew nothing about. I thought I knew, but believed living in big city Texas and travelling to other US cities and Central America would prepare me. I wrongfully assumed this was Dallas, Texas on the beach.

I also wrongfully assumed the effect of the island mentality would have on everyday life coming from inner city all about business Dallas. I can see how people who come to do business in Florida often find it frustrating.

What I totally missed was that it's a Caribbean culture here. It's Jamaican, Haitian, Cuban, south american and has less to do with the US than any city in the national I have found. If you are accustomed to living in that culture, it's normal to you. If you were borne and raised here, it's normal.

Therein lies "our" problem. We don't claim that other places are better, but we do claim places are more homogenous from city to city.

Basic American values are more prevalent in other cities and while we can argue the validity of those values over others, we cannot ignore they are different, nor can you tell me what I should value and don't. You may have a problem with the Cuban culture here but to a Cuban, it may be his idea of perfection.

I just don't like the culture here, it's not what we are accustomed or what we thought Miami was like. If you like it here, great but Miami is not for everybody and it's not for us.

We like to smile and say thank you. We like people, both of us are in the people business we talk and interact with total strangers all day. We miss that.

I cook some, I'm at the grocery store sometimes 4 times a week. It's always been a pleasurable experience to proruse the isles, but here the grocery stores are dingy and dirty. I miss that crispness.

My view of Miami is one of the worst but not the very worst. I live in an OK area yet I encounter far too many homeless, I see far too many crack dealers and prostitutes. I see some of the worst Miami has to offer. I don't live in Coral Gables or Star Island, I spend every waking/sleeping hour near US1 in North Miami.

This area is more than the 1258 miles Google maps says it's from Dallas. This is a country away. For two people to come from upper middle class white areas from the 8th largest city in the country to north Miami is a bit of culture shock for even the most seasons of travellers.

It's a real shame in this respect and probably why I am so angry on here sometimes. We invested everything we knew and owned to come to Miami. We had to make very significant sacrifices and at many levels to get here. After all that, we get here and find out, we don't like it. It went from OMG we are going to OMG, we are here and hate it.

Hate's a strong word and I don't hate Miami. Yeah sure parts of this deal really blows. We can make it, we're not suicidal over the decision to move here and can deal with it if we have to, but we are definitely looking for greener pastures.

Right now the grass is greener on the Broward side of the fence. I feel better when I'm in Fort Lauderdale because the culture there is closer to what I'm accustomed. It's easier for me to get around, talk to more people, relax more, I've been checking out grocery stores, it's more "me" up there.

Ok, I'm done with serious, let's go back to needlessly pointing fingers and complaining about something we can't do anything about.

"Don't like Miami? Take I95 North"

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
I'm going to be very serious for a second.

I can't change Miami and I can't change the way I view it. My experiences here have been both positive and negative. I have no problem at all that it's so heavily Hispanic and Black. I knew that when I moved here.

What I didn't know was what it was like living with two cultures I knew nothing about. I thought I knew, but believed living in big city Texas and travelling to other US cities and Central America would prepare me. I wrongfully assumed this was Dallas, Texas on the beach.

I also wrongfully assumed the effect of the island mentality would have on everyday life coming from inner city all about business Dallas. I can see how people who come to do business in Florida often find it frustrating.

What I totally missed was that it's a Caribbean culture here. It's Jamaican, Haitian, Cuban, south american and has less to do with the US than any city in the national I have found. If you are accustomed to living in that culture, it's normal to you. If you were borne and raised here, it's normal.

Therein lies "our" problem. We don't claim that other places are better, but we do claim places are more homogenous from city to city.

Basic American values are more prevalent in other cities and while we can argue the validity of those values over others, we cannot ignore they are different, nor can you tell me what I should value and don't. You may have a problem with the Cuban culture here but to a Cuban, it may be his idea of perfection.

I just don't like the culture here, it's not what we are accustomed or what we thought Miami was like. If you like it here, great but Miami is not for everybody and it's not for us.

We like to smile and say thank you. We like people, both of us are in the people business we talk and interact with total strangers all day. We miss that.

I cook some, I'm at the grocery store sometimes 4 times a week. It's always been a pleasurable experience to proruse the isles, but here the grocery stores are dingy and dirty. I miss that crispness.

My view of Miami is one of the worst but not the very worst. I live in an OK area yet I encounter far too many homeless, I see far too many crack dealers and prostitutes. I see some of the worst Miami has to offer. I don't live in Coral Gables or Star Island, I spend every waking/sleeping hour near US1 in North Miami.

This area is more than the 1258 miles Google maps says it's from Dallas. This is a country away. For two people to come from upper middle class white areas from the 8th largest city in the country to north Miami is a bit of culture shock for even the most seasons of travellers.

It's a real shame in this respect and probably why I am so angry on here sometimes. We invested everything we knew and owned to come to Miami. We had to make very significant sacrifices and at many levels to get here. After all that, we get here and find out, we don't like it. It went from OMG we are going to OMG, we are here and hate it.

Hate's a strong word and I don't hate Miami. Yeah sure parts of this deal really blows. We can make it, we're not suicidal over the decision to move here and can deal with it if we have to, but we are definitely looking for greener pastures.

Right now the grass is greener on the Broward side of the fence. I feel better when I'm in Fort Lauderdale because the culture there is closer to what I'm accustomed. It's easier for me to get around, talk to more people, relax more, I've been checking out grocery stores, it's more "me" up there.

Ok, I'm done with serious, let's go back to needlessly pointing fingers and complaining about something we can't do anything about.

"Don't like Miami? Take I95 North"

Stop explaining or justifying your reasons for not wanting to live in Miami ... nobody on this forum is going to help you out , or pay your bills .. it is up to you and your son to get it done .. just move to Broward and if you like Ft.Lauderdale better ( many people do ) than good for you

Good Luck

Rock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami