Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times

Advertisements

you lived in the wrong part of Miami. Come to Miami Shores

Old 03-02-2011, 09:50 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
seriously your post is wayyy too negative. nothing about miami is like being on a farm. not one single thing.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
HEADLINES....

Jmlacysr will never leave Little Haiti.
He's perfectly adapted to his new environemnt.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
I have lived in both Dallas and Miami, and Dallas is more of a large town feeling to me or a big office complex. People rushing to the suburbs at 5PM, Downtown practically dead, no major urban areas (except Uptown). BTW, people in Dallas are very polite (that i must say) but COLD.
Enjoy Miami for what it is and can offer. You will be happy.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
I don't think he can enjoy any city located in our space-time.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
I expected a storm but not a mod cut. Everyone knows what's wrong with Dade but are too politically correct to say it.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
HEADLINES....

Jmlacysr will never leave Little Haiti.
He's perfectly adapted to his new environemnt.

Hey I dig that coat. I don't live in little haiti, close but so is Morningside, uppereast side and Miami shores. My problems are all over Dade.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
I have lived in both Dallas and Miami, and Dallas is more of a large town feeling to me or a big office complex. People rushing to the suburbs at 5PM, Downtown practically dead, no major urban areas (except Uptown). BTW, people in Dallas are very polite (that i must say) but COLD.
Enjoy Miami for what it is and can offer. You will be happy.
My point of reference is also NYC, Denver, San Fran, LA, Las vegas, Corpus, San antonio and a host of other cities.

I was born and raised in Dallas though and yes, uptown, off Mckinney Ave, Addison and Plano are my hoods. Dade has nothing in common with any of those as you well know.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
seriously your post is wayyy too negative. nothing about miami is like being on a farm. not one single thing.
Actually I was referring to FTL as being a small like a farm town compared to Miami.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM

146 posts, read 225,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Yesterday, my son and I put on the second Florida license plate. He and I both thought about what that meant. Last week he gave up his Dallas phone number for a 305. I still have a Dallas number and a 305.

It's also official we are out of Dade when our lease is up. We're Broward bound in 8 months. I'm more miserable than he is here but he makes fun of Dade almost as much as I do now. Let's face it, Miami is not a very pleasant place. Beautiful here, but the people, UGH.

Here's my personal problem. Miami is a small city to us. It's like living in the country compared to Dallas. Fort Lauderdale is even smaller and while FTL is more pleasant, part of me is glad to get back to Miami (hell hole that it is) when I visit FTL. Miami a small city, FTL is like living on a farm.

It's also interesting I feel so isolated here. It's like I'm hiding out from something but I'm not hiding from anything or anyone. Miami is a good place to get lost if you don't want to be found but I think I would feel even more isolation in FTL than even MIA.

My son could transfer to any city in the US with a simply phone call. For me to move, I would have to start a new business. My business in Miami is being established more every day and type my business name in Google and you'll get 300 links all pointing to Miami. To move out of south Florida would require a new DBA so I'm now pointing all my business relationship building to FTL and the Keys.

It's not that we hate Florida, although the way the state does business makes no sense to lure people to stay here long term. It's not easy to relocate here and it seems the state goes out of their way to make you a tourist not a resident. I think you really have to want to move here for whatever reason.

I had a conversation the other day with a Cuban women. She said she had been here from Cuba for 5 years. She asked me what I liked about Miami, I said the beaches and weather. She said, "those are tourist things." I didn't say it but thought, what else is there to really like? I asked her what it was like in Cuba vs. Miami, she said "it's the same". Sad but true.

***MOD CUT*** The streets are not safe here and no matter where you go, you'll be met with panhandlers.

Let me explain the difference as we see it. In Dallas we have plenty of panhandlers but there, the signs read " will work for food". Here it's "give me a hand out". Miami is full of homeless dodgy people and living under every bridge and at every convenient store. There's no escaping it and it really tarnishes the image of such a beautiful place.

***MOD CUT***

This place is touted as culturally diverse. What a joke ***MOD CUT*** and don't let anyone tell you anything else. You NEED Spanish here to survive. I hear more Spanish than English here and have more people trying to speak Spanish to me than English. That has changed too. When we first came here we were both Lilly white, now we have tans, people start conversations in Spanish more. LOL, odd but true. No matter where we go, we are usually the only white guys in the room.

I've had a problem since day one here with the lack of business professionals. That's important if you need to get something done. I didn't think they existed here but I did an experiment last week that opened my eyes. There ARE professionals here BUT they are only at the top. The better places here hire them up so you won't encounter them on a daily basis unless you are working/living in those circles. Like all things in Miami, if you're wealthy you'll have an easier time here.

So, we're official Floridians but leaving Dade for higher ground. We'll do our year stint in Dade and another in Broward then decide if Florida is for us. It's not that we totally hate Florida, it's Dade that we find unlivable and that's my 3 month review.
Whoa. That was long and complicated.

On the other hand, I'll be short and simple: If you're unhappy, move. If you're unhappy in Miami, you are almost as likely to be unhappy in Broward/Palm Beach.

Life is far too short to walk around being constantly unhappy...particularly for something as easily modifiable as location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami