U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,386 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for advice... I have been reading all of the threads on good places to live in Miami, but haven't found anything that helps me out. I will be moving to Miami this summer and working at the Opa-Locka airport. I am searching for advice on finding a fun, safe place to live (rent) within a 30 minute commute (or possible bicycle ride) to Opa-Locka. I am 30 and have a wife, young daughter and family dog. We are pretty active people and love to go for family walks, beach, dining, and would prefer to be within walking distance of some of those things... We will be renting and have a max budget of $2,000 per month for rent. Places I am considering are Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach (north), Aventura, Hollywood... I would really not like to spend more than 30 minutes in my car on the way to/home from work everyday, and am not used to living in a big city. We love new culture experiences so aren't scared to live in a diverse area as long as it's safe. Safety is important, though, as I will be spending quite a bit of time away from home so need to ensure my wife and daughter will be safe while I am gone. Thanks again everyone, this is my first post here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,086,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlywin View Post
Thanks in advance for advice... I have been reading all of the threads on good places to live in Miami, but haven't found anything that helps me out. I will be moving to Miami this summer and working at the Opa-Locka airport. I am searching for advice on finding a fun, safe place to live (rent) within a 30 minute commute (or possible bicycle ride) to Opa-Locka. I am 30 and have a wife, young daughter and family dog. We are pretty active people and love to go for family walks, beach, dining, and would prefer to be within walking distance of some of those things... We will be renting and have a max budget of $2,000 per month for rent. Places I am considering are Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach (north), Aventura, Hollywood... I would really not like to spend more than 30 minutes in my car on the way to/home from work everyday, and am not used to living in a big city. We love new culture experiences so aren't scared to live in a diverse area as long as it's safe. Safety is important, though, as I will be spending quite a bit of time away from home so need to ensure my wife and daughter will be safe while I am gone. Thanks again everyone, this is my first post here.

Have you checked out Miami Lakes,that would be west of Opa-Locka.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,373 times
I strongly recommend Miami Lakes. Miami Lakes isnt to far OL and its safe. Just a little information..Opa locka is not safest place to live, so I would highly recommend you not live there, since you do have a family. Aventura, Ives Diary, Pembroke Pines are pretty decent areas, but its a drive away from OL. There are some parts of hollywood that reminds me of OL, so beware. Hope this helps you out and Good Luck!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 PM

1,208 posts, read 2,145,887 times
I would go Miami Lakes like others said, youll get more $$ in your pockets

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

180 posts, read 370,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradlywin View Post
Your better off in North Miami or Miramar if the commute is what concerns you because the places you listed it'll take you more than 30 minutes to get there. There is always traffic in Opa-Locka, Aventura, etc. Also look into Miami Lakes.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM

8,088 posts, read 8,417,270 times
I work adjacent to Opa Locka Airport and have a 30minute commute from current residence in Doral area.(13.5miles) I also lived in Davie and had a 30minute commute to work.(12.5) Former areas is heavily Hispanic later is primarily Anglos. The immediate residential area composition surrounding the airport is blacks to the North, East, and West and Hispanics to the SouthPick your preference. Easiest route is a straight South to North from the airport to Davie and back on 37avenue which is Douglas Road in Miami-Dade County or Pine Island Drive in Broward. Rentals were adequately priced. I paid $1200mthly for a 1340sf 2/2 with a sizeable yard.

Bicycling is not recommended as the primary routes to/from work will have heavy vehicle traffic and are unsafe for bicyclists as motorists focusing on their needs and not general safety.

The key is to live within easy access of road networks which are counter to the flow of traffic for your drive to work and the inverse for your drive home.

Hope that helped. Advise if any other questions.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-09-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM

136 posts, read 444,717 times
Your best bet for a quick commute will be to live within the Town of Miami Lakes. Don't confuse it with any of the surrounding areas that may call themselves Miami Lakes but are not within the Town proper. It is one of the most desirable communities in Miami-Dade County, and the ONLY desirable community near your job.

However, there's not a whole lot to do in Miami Lakes proper. It's a bedroom community that has all the basics, but if you want fine dining or the beach, you're going to have to drive elsewhere. The town has plenty of parks and lakes and lots of family-oriented activities, so you'll probably like that. The only other thing I'd add is that it's not very diverse. It's about two-thirds to three-quarters Hispanic, about five percent black, and about one-quarter "Anglo" (the term in South Florida for non-Hispanic white). A more diverse environment would be found in western Miramar and western Pembroke Pines, but those areas would put you farther from work.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Desirable? Entirely subjective comment. ML town proper too crowded in all respects especially at rush hour to gain access to the 826 as there are few entry ramps if going East or South. 826 East bound tends to have much stoppage in the a.m. when approaching 37avenue exit.(for the airport) It is ridiculous to pay $1 toll one-way on the 112 for the short drive from Miami Lakes to the 42/37exit if using the other route.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM

136 posts, read 444,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Desirable? Entirely subjective comment. ML town proper too crowded in all respects especially at rush hour to gain access to the 826 as there are few entry ramps if going East or South. 826 East bound tends to have much stoppage in the a.m. when approaching 37avenue exit.(for the airport) It is ridiculous to pay $1 toll one-way on the 112 for the short drive from Miami Lakes to the 42/37exit if using the other route.
That's exactly what opinions are - subjective. And I was doing just that - offering my opinion. My opinion is that Miami Lakes is one of the most desirable areas of Miami-Dade County, and the single most desirable part of NW Miami-Dade. I see that you live in Doral. In my opinion, Doral is no more than an industrial/warehouse district with some houses thrown in as an afterthought. And let's not even talk about the traffic congestion there. As a matter of fact, I'd like to know what part of Miami does not experience traffic congestion.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:23 AM

No. You emphasized ONLY and are now backpedaling from that by saying it was an opinion.

I actually recommended Davie not Doral. I face no congestion because I have a good route to/from but that is not the issue of this post. You wrote Miami Lakes was the ONLY desirable community near Opa Locka airport and are patently incorrect.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-14-2011 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami