Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:40 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times

Advertisements

Virginia Key Mountain Bike Trails
The Miami Bike Scene: Virginia Key Mountain Bike Trails Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM

41 posts, read 113,398 times
Awesome! Thanks for posting. When I moved to Hawaii from Miami, I was so stoked to be going somewhere with some real surf. 10 years later and I mountain bike a lot more than I surf now, and as it's looking like I'm moving back to Miami, I realize I'm going to miss the mountains more than the waves. Well maybe not as much as I thought! There was some stunts, skinnies, berms ... way better than I expected. It's not much but it looks fun! Enough to keep me from selling my mtb bikes before I leave.

I visited Miami from the 20-24 last month as part of our lookaround before moving. My friend (non-mtber) told me about the new trails. On the 23rd, three days after the huge grand opening, I drove around Virginia Key looking for the trails and pulled up to the gatehouse at the park entrance across from Seaquarium. The old guy working the gate said, in broken English, no map yet so he don't know nothing, and just acted pissed off I even asked him. Ahhh yes, boy have I missed Miami in the last 10 years.

Whatever. Those trails looked pretty fun and glad to see there's a local mtb scene.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,706 times
ahh so youre originally from miami? good. i think anyone coming unprepared from hawaii would quickly be hamburger meat. my gf grew up in honolulu.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:10 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soflobound View Post
Awesome! Thanks for posting. When I moved to Hawaii from Miami, I was so stoked to be going somewhere with some real surf. 10 years later and I mountain bike a lot more than I surf now, and as it's looking like I'm moving back to Miami, I realize I'm going to miss the mountains more than the waves. Well maybe not as much as I thought! There was some stunts, skinnies, berms ... way better than I expected. It's not much but it looks fun! Enough to keep me from selling my mtb bikes before I leave.

I visited Miami from the 20-24 last month as part of our lookaround before moving. My friend (non-mtber) told me about the new trails. On the 23rd, three days after the huge grand opening, I drove around Virginia Key looking for the trails and pulled up to the gatehouse at the park entrance across from Seaquarium. The old guy working the gate said, in broken English, no map yet so he don't know nothing, and just acted pissed off I even asked him. Ahhh yes, boy have I missed Miami in the last 10 years.

Whatever. Those trails looked pretty fun and glad to see there's a local mtb scene.
If you said "mountain bike trail" and not "bike trail" or "BMX" trail, then it's no wonder that guy gave you the squint eye! First off, he's a security guard which means he's got a "don't bother me with nonsense" complex and he's from another country where his top priorities might not involve mountain bike trails but rather staying alive, protecting his family and trying not to get denounced to the secret police by his tattletale neighbors.

I can easily put myself in his shoes and imagine the following dialogue:

"Sir, how do I get to the mountain bike trails?"

"Ha ha, um mountainbike? Ahhh, jes, "mountain bike."

"Si, jes, ju just go back der" (Points behind the Mangroves to the estuary that's loaded with alligators)" Mira esta! Jes, we gots lotsa mountains back der! Entiendes? jah, haha, we got all kindsa mountains!!!! Ok? so just go a fuera to find the mountains si?"

Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
ahh so youre originally from miami? good. i think anyone coming unprepared from hawaii would quickly be hamburger meat. my gf grew up in honolulu.
No, I'm from Texas. I moved to Miami a couple of weeks before Andrew and left a couple of weeks after they snatched up little Elian and sent him back ('92 - '00). Never a dull moment.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
If you said "mountain bike trail" and not "bike trail" or "BMX" trail, then it's no wonder that guy gave you the squint eye! First off, he's a security guard which means he's got a "don't bother me with nonsense" complex and he's from another country where his top priorities might not involve mountain bike trails but rather staying alive, protecting his family and trying not to get denounced to the secret police by his tattletale neighbors.
Oh, he knew exactly what I was talking about. He just didn't give a damn to be of any help. When I drove up, he was hanging out with his senior citizen buddies and I must have interrupted their chat time. No way these guys were fresh off the boat. I encounter just as many people who speak little or no english in Honolulu as I do Miami. They're the only two major met areas in the US in which whites are a minority. But it takes me a year to encounter as much rudeness in Honolulu as I did in four days back in Miami.

The difference between Asians and Hispanics perhaps? It's not like all the Chinese here, and believe me they're everywhere, don't have secret police to worry about back home. Yet somehow they find a way to be civil. But I prefer to think its not ethnicity, it's just the city that does it to people. I encountered a similar response from the white guy at Crandon Park. Maybe it's just county employees!

Anyway, it's not like this forum needs another thread about race. I'm sorry I brought it up. In spite of all the negatives, there are some aspects of Miami I'm looking forward to returning to. Like these mtb trails.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Don't say Mountain!!!!!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Don't say Mountain!!!!!
Okay, looking forward to the Virginia Key _tb trails

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 105,850 times
It was probably the same old security guard that made me wait at the gate for 2-3 minutes while he had a full blown shouting match with his wife in Spanish. Window open and all. When he was good and ready, he turns to me and asked with a scowl, "fay dola"

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 105,850 times
Oh and yeah, trails are packing in nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami