Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 01:10 AM

11 posts, read 24,603 times

Advertisements

I am taking the Florida Bar Exam this summer and planning on relocating to the Miami/Ft Laud area in about 2 weeks from Oklahoma. I previously lived in North Florida for years and loved it. However, I have NO clue what area of Miami or S. Florida would be best for me!

I am single, 26 year old female. I have been looking at the South Beach area, but I really just have no clue where I should be looking. I would love to be walking distance to restaurants/bars/nightlife if possible, but want live in a safe place. Nightlife, meeting new people, and safety are all very important to me. I have a small dog that will be coming with me. I have some part time employment initially to support myself while I pursue a more high paying job. I am afraid of signing a lease for over $1,000 a month bc I am unsure as to what my salary would be and would be much more comfortable with something under 800 if possible.

Thank you so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Plan A:
Hopefully someone who lives South Beach proper can answer. I do not the area. I am from the mainland.

Plan B:
Look for residences within walking distance of your job.
Go to the usual sources craigslist, miami rentals or similar listing sites and enter your general location or address or zip of your work place. Once you have a place of interest, enter the address in google maps and zoom to street level to see what the neighbor is like. Post back here when you have something definite regarding a block radius for input.

Last edited by Felix C; 03-11-2011 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
You won't find anything decent in SOBE with that budget.

You may find something nice in North Beach with $800 a month.

You can also find something 5 minutes from the beach with that budget either in North Miami or North Miami Beach

Old 03-17-2011, 12:31 AM

227 posts, read 728,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches002 View Post
I am taking the Florida Bar Exam this summer and planning on relocating to the Miami/Ft Laud area in about 2 weeks from Oklahoma. I previously lived in North Florida for years and loved it. However, I have NO clue what area of Miami or S. Florida would be best for me!

I am single, 26 year old female. I have been looking at the South Beach area, but I really just have no clue where I should be looking. I would love to be walking distance to restaurants/bars/nightlife if possible, but want live in a safe place. Nightlife, meeting new people, and safety are all very important to me. I have a small dog that will be coming with me. I have some part time employment initially to support myself while I pursue a more high paying job. I am afraid of signing a lease for over $1,000 a month bc I am unsure as to what my salary would be and would be much more comfortable with something under 800 if possible.

Thank you so much for any help!
Are you looking for a studio or 1BR? Will you have a car (parking can be a PITA on the beach). Have you considered a roommate situation since you're unsure of your future salary? Might be better to try that initially and save your money and then once regular work starts you can check for a regular rental. It will be hard to find everything you're looking for in that price range.

Otherwise try the mid beach area north of 17th street. Sometimes things are a bit more affordable there and yet not too far from things.

good luck, I well understand how hard it is to look from a distance~

Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
If you want to be in walking distance to things then stay between 25 street south to 1st street in South Beach. You will not want to be much further north that if you want to walk to stuff.

You can find places in your budget, a friend of mine have a studio close to Lincoln for 650 a month, its tiny, nothing special, no parking etc. She rented it because of its location, she doesn't spend much time there anyways. So 800 is do able, and a nicer place is do able if you can get a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami