Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,795 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Minnesota and married a South American. She has lived in Minneapolis for a while now, but she has a great opportunity to work in Miami and travel to different Central and South American countries. We are considering moving by this fall. We are in our late 20's, we have a puppy, no kids, and we own a rental income property in Minneapolis. I haven't heard any good things about living in Miami.

She is excited to move as she will be closer to her relatives but certainly she will miss Minnesota. Any recommendations as to best places to live in Miami?. what activities a Minnesotan can do during his time free time in Miami? I am used to outdoor activities during the winter and summer time such as camping, deer hunting, ice fishing, biking and all that great stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:24 PM

245 posts, read 660,647 times
Living anywhere is what you make of it......are you looking for a house or condo? If you like a condo lifestyle, lots of nightlife and things to do I would recommend Midtown, Brickell or Coral Gables.....Not sure what your budget is, but things are more expensive here. I just moved here from JAcksonville, FL and my car insurance more than doubled.......

Unfortunately, you will find allot of people on this forum who absolutely HATE Miami. I feel sorry for them. No Miami is not for everyone......

Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,184,622 times
I would say you can do most things in Miami, though watch out for thin ice when going ice fishing. And those hot and muggy MSP summer days will seem like a picnic after a summer in Florida.

Re. where to live, it all depends on where your job will be. Do not try to live very far away, Miami traffic is not forgiving.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:08 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,652 times
In what job market do you guys worK?

Job market is tough here and the pay it's not enough to have a decent life and enjoy what Miami has to offer. Don't expect to get the same pay you had in Minneapolis. Cost of living is crazy compared to Minneapolis. The wheather is the total opposite, get used to 95 degrees with high humidity in the summers and 78 to 84 degrees with low-mid humidity on winters. We have few cold fronts, 55F-70F, not a big deal for someone who has lived on a four season wheather before. People who live in Miami are totally different, most are rude, unfriendly, selfish and obnoxious. Minneapolis was named the most literate city of America, very different to Miami where most people don't have a college degree and only slightly half have a high school diploma. So, get used to folks who have no idea where Argentina, Chile or Venezuela are located (I'm not talking BS, it has actually happened to me before ). Most of the city speaks spanish and most of these folks don't make an effort to learn english and assimilate they are in the United States and not in Cuba. Even to get hired they require to speak spanish in most jobs and they don't even appreciate it. Traffic is terrible, terrible, terrible and public transportation the worst you can get. If you have a good bidget I highly recommend to live in Brickell, Coral Gables, some Kendall areas, and Pinecrest. These areas are very nice, clean and the people are nicer and more educated. Avoid cutler ridge, westchester, Hialeah, Lil Havana, Allapatah, Overtown, Liberty City and Opa Locka.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM

245 posts, read 660,647 times
Maybe I live in a bubble, but my experience in MIA has been fantastic. I am a TRUE gringo orginally from Ohio....No I don't speak Spanish, but I am taking lessons. The only time I really need Spanish is when I am having a service done like dry cleaning, maid, pet sitter etc... The lifestyle here is amazing, I find the people to be very friendly, the people well educated.......I guess everyone has a different view. I mostly stay in Brickell, Coral Gables and South Beach, so I am not familiar with the other locations in the previous post.......

Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 PM

535 posts, read 1,407,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
Maybe I live in a bubble, but my experience in MIA has been fantastic. I am a TRUE gringo orginally from Ohio....No I don't speak Spanish, but I am taking lessons. The only time I really need Spanish is when I am having a service done like dry cleaning, maid, pet sitter etc... The lifestyle here is amazing, I find the people to be very friendly, the people well educated.......I guess everyone has a different view. I mostly stay in Brickell, Coral Gables and South Beach, so I am not familiar with the other locations in the previous post.......
Those locations are fantastics compared to the ones I mentioned... I love the Brickell area, it's beautiful and full of youth and professionals. I would love to live there if I could afford it I used to work in a dry clean long time ago and I speak English

Old 07-05-2010, 12:12 AM

69 posts, read 178,292 times
Just stay in Minnesota man. I know the weather up there can be tough
come winter time, but stay up there. Don't make the mistake of your
life. This coming from my own personal experience.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 PM

140 posts, read 507,113 times
There is no shortage of things to do in Miami: You can choose from all the usual outdoor water activities (fishing, canoeing, skiing, snorkeling, scuba) etc, except ice fishing. Cycling options are limited, but there are a few scenic trails including concrete trails from the mainland to Key Biscayne, and in Big Cypress National Park. You can hunt alligators and lobster, but I don't believe there is deer hunting (I think our keys deer are endangered).

As far as the weather, this too is relative. The high today was 89 degrees and felt like mid-90's (compared to 100 degrees today in New York). Miami has never hit triple digit temperatures, but is very humid.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,184,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelquiet View Post
Miami has never hit triple digit temperatures...
This is a misconception that I see repeated often on the net, but it is not true. The official records for Miami show a temp of 100 degs F, recorded on July 21, 1942.

See e.g.: http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...nthly/USFL0316

Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 AM

19 posts, read 43,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmidw View Post
I was born and raised in Minnesota and married a South American. She has lived in Minneapolis for a while now, but she has a great opportunity to work in Miami and travel to different Central and South American countries. We are considering moving by this fall. We are in our late 20's, we have a puppy, no kids, and we own a rental income property in Minneapolis. I haven't heard any good things about living in Miami.

She is excited to move as she will be closer to her relatives but certainly she will miss Minnesota. Any recommendations as to best places to live in Miami?. what activities a Minnesotan can do during his time free time in Miami? I am used to outdoor activities during the winter and summer time such as camping, deer hunting, ice fishing, biking and all that great stuff...
funny! i, too, am from minneapolis and contemplating a move to miami. my partner is moving back there for a job after graduating with his masters from the U here in mpls.

having lived there in the past, he is used to MIA. he's not "looking forward" to going back, per se, but he knows what he is getting in to. that said, he loves minneapolis and doesn't want to leave.

i think minneapolis sets a very high bar - in terms of education, quality of life, cost of living, etc. we consistently rank in the top few most liveable cities, whereas i hear many, many negative comments about living in miami.

would you keep us/me posted on your move to MIA? i'd be curious to see your impressions of the city, having lived in MSP, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami