U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 12,103 times

Advertisements

Been reading through all of the threads in this forum and I must say the miami/FTL forum has to be the most polarizing in terms of who is happy to live there and who is not.
I have a job offer in the area (moving from the Midwest) and am honestly hesitant to relocate after reading all of the negative comments on here. Is the disparity in happiness directly attributed to income? Race? Age?
I'm mid 20s, white, single, will make around $90k there, but not sure that's enough to give me a comfortable, happy lifestyle here. (live on The beach, dine out often,etc)( btw I'm not really into the nightclub/party hard scene)
So let me hear both sides- for those of you that love it here, why is it? And for those that hate it, where would you rather live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,476,212 times
Some people love living here, but they dont post here. I know them in real life. It's not as bad as people post here. I would say never pay attention to people that are all positive or negative because they are never objective.

Some things are true but usually blown out of proportion

The heat- totally true, it's unbearable for most people
Customer service- bad but most transactions will go ok
Rude people- blown out of proportion
Drivers- true, but manageable
Superficial people- partially true, but not 100 or 90% like some claim

Most of the serious posters that can offer you a balanced opinion don't post often. The Broward board is actually more accurate about Broward but they tend to be not very objective about Miami since many think they are above Miami residents.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM

18,094 posts, read 15,806,453 times
"Is the disparity in happiness directly attributed to income? Race? Age"

Race - no
Age - no
Income - YES

I love Miami, I do not want to live anywhere else in the US besides Miami, I just moved here last August and still love it even more, BUT, I make good money and live quite well, in my opinion, this place will really wear on a person if they do not make much money. My opinion and there are plenty of examples that go either way.

"I'm mid 20s, white, single, will make around $90k there, but not sure that's enough to give me a comfortable, happy lifestyle here. (live on The beach, dine out often,etc)( btw I'm not really into the nightclub/party hard scene)"

$90k is plenty to live on here, even on the beach. Well, that is figuring you have minimal other expenses.

"So let me hear both sides- for those of you that love it here, why is it? And for those that hate it, where would you rather live?"

I love it here.
I like the weather, the view from my condo, the beach, swimming, entertainment, and for the most part, not the people, but the entertainment culture that the type of people that reside here have created.

Sure, there are things I hate, poor city planning, traffic, cost of living, etc. But I turn a blind eye to those things, they do not bother me so much as they would another person. The positives here out weigh the negatives in my opinion.

Now, I have a friend who hates it here, but he has 5 acres, a house, a truck, etc up in a small town in Virginia, and to him a simple after work bar with a Coors Light and watching TV is a great life. I hate small town life and past riding four wheelers around, I hate where he lives.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 AM

413 posts, read 754,955 times
I love it when people complain about cost of living. It's called supply/demand people. If it's expensive it means that people are willing to pay for it.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,393,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Race - no
Age - no
Income - YES
Agreed.

People that say money can't buy you happiness, most of the time, never had it.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 AM

11,642 posts, read 21,690,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by going2miami View Post
Been reading through all of the threads in this forum and I must say the miami/FTL forum has to be the most polarizing in terms of who is happy to live there and who is not.
I have a job offer in the area (moving from the Midwest) and am honestly hesitant to relocate after reading all of the negative comments on here. Is the disparity in happiness directly attributed to income? Race? Age?
I'm mid 20s, white, single, will make around $90k there, but not sure that's enough to give me a comfortable, happy lifestyle here. (live on The beach, dine out often,etc)( btw I'm not really into the nightclub/party hard scene)
So let me hear both sides- for those of you that love it here, why is it? And for those that hate it, where would you rather live?
I do not think you can live right on the beach making $90K per year. Near the beach, probably. On the beach, probably not. At least not in Broward. I am not sure about Miami as I do not live there.

I like living here. I like the warm winters and can tolerate the very hot, sticky summers. That said, the summers are really hot, really sticky and really long.

People sometimes speak Spanish in public. If that bothers you don't move here. Just because they are speaking Spanish it doesn't mean they don't speak English. Many (most) do speak English and are happy to speak to you in English if that is how you address them. Many, many Americans from outside the area are very unhappy about hearing Spanish in public and just cannot get over that issue.

I am not sure why anyone would care what language someone else speaks, but it does seem to be a recurring issue here in south Florida. Many people just cannot get over it. The number of people speaking Spanish in public varies by city and happens more frequently in Miami than Fort Lauderdale. However, there are pockets in Broward where Spanish is heard frequently.

Language does not bother me or my family. We truly don't care what language someone speaks at the grocery store. As a result we are pretty happy here.

There are superficial people here but we have found good people here as well. We concentrate on our friends and the superficial people do not affect our happiness. When we encounter them in our regular life we laugh at them. Just yesterday I was at a HS lacrosse game and I was receiving text messages from another lacrosse mother about all the women at her son's game (in another location) with full makeup and beautiful clothes. They were an amusement to us, not a bother. I think that your attitude has to be one of accepting the superficial people and just letting them exist. If you can't do that you will have a hard time living here.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,690,414 times
90k for a single person is a great salary in Miami. So nothing to worry about there. The only thing that I noticed in the OPs post that may worry me is he mentioned that he was from the MidWest. Most people from the MidWest don't move to South Florida they typically move to the west coast of Florida. OP - You are young and single, you don't have roots or children so if you don't like Miami after a year (end of lease) you can always move. Miami si a great place for young single people to live for a few years. I wouldn't raise a family here...

As far as the question on happiness, it really is an individual opinion. I will agree that I don't experience many rude people in stores, offices, restaurants, but you will experience rude drivers. Its like people get in their cars and something changes...Is happiness in Miami tied to income, no, I have met people from all financial backgrounds that don't like Miami from many reasons. The one thing to remember Miami isn't like most places in Middle America, so many people once they have lived here a couple of months and the vacation mode wears off they start to see the real Miami. Though if you live in the tourist areas it may be a little different. Many people that I have meet the last 10 years that have moved to Miami they usually leave within 3-5 years for multiple reasons.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM

18,094 posts, read 15,806,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
I love it when people complain about cost of living. It's called supply/demand people. If it's expensive it means that people are willing to pay for it.
Stating a fact and complaining are two different things.

Also, it is more than supply and demand, many factors outside of the free market system go into it. If it was simply laissez faire, then the costs would be less fluctuating throughout such a small area.

Just driving to WPB things magically drop in price, from fruits, to meat, to veterinary care.

Merely stating the cost of living is a factor in a move is not complaining. Cost of living is often factored into decisions for people and businesses.

Here is an example, if someone works at Walmart in Chattanooga and makes $8.50 an hour, a person can live decent on that there. Now, if that person was to be offered/requested a transfer to Miami, but for the same wage, then the person really needs to consider cost of living because $8.50 an hour is not going to go far here.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 3,978,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Miami is a pearl of great price.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 3,978,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by going2miami View Post
At 90k?! It's gonna take a backhoe to remove the smile from your face!!! don't let anyone scare you out of a great experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami