Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 08:07 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
OK, so on-topic:

I was interviewing people for an entry level position and half the people who turned up neglected to wear even a shirt and tie. Another few wore what looked like nightclub clothes, i.e. shirts and ties in really odd colors (although I appreciate the attempt at creativity), and some didn't even manage to iron their shirts!

A business owner I know was interviewing for a sales position, with no experience required. She had people with no degree turn up asking for $50k salary + % commission. Not going to happen!
LOL very typical Miami. Miami + business suits do not mix lol. People here don't really know how to interview for a job. It's so simple, at least to me. This is your only chance to impress the employer and secure your job, and you blow it by wearing the wrong clothes...lol

Although this might be an issue across the board and not just in Miami, it seems more prevalent here. >.<

Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 PM

193 posts, read 371,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
LOL very typical Miami. Miami + business suits do not mix lol. People here don't really know how to interview for a job. It's so simple, at least to me. This is your only chance to impress the employer and secure your job, and you blow it by wearing the wrong clothes...lol

Although this might be an issue across the board and not just in Miami, it seems more prevalent here. >.<
I should stipulate that I've only hired people in Miami, it was just a surprise when these people walked in. I thought everyone was taught what to wear to interviews at school.

Also, everyone older than 21 wore exactly the right clothes. So it might just be a maturity thing.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
What about English, and enough Spanish to chat up women and get yourself in trouble? Does that pass?
That's what I meant lol.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 PM

73 posts, read 113,769 times
Default You people are the ignorant, no class, no culure, etc, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
You people? What does this mean? Ohhhh, you mean us illegal immigrants who only come to the US from their 3rd world country to take jobs from "hard-working [white] Americans"?

Well, let me inform you. I was born in the US, therefore I came from nowhere. I was born in Miami, actually, unlike you. So when your kind, the transplants, come to my city, you should not try to dictate what languages can be spoken simply because it is more convenient for you. Do you attend a public school in Hialeah? No? Then why should you be concerned about this?

English is my first language, I did not have to learn anything. The question is, what's your excuse? Sorry, being white doesn't cut it. You don't want to learn Spanish, fine. Don't complain then.

I hate having to do this, but when you make personal attacks I feel like I have to defend myself and my fellow Miamians. I do not really feel this way, I'm just trying to apply your logic to my own argument. It doesn't make much sense, does it?
Adios, amigo.
Rants such as these by a particular group of people who arrived on a raft a few decades ago and dare call me a 'transplant' when my famiy has lived, and assimilated in this country for centuries are the reason why Miami is such a miserable place to live. Only stuck-up, arrogant,selfish, racist, ignorant people who have low standards because they come fom a communist country can call Miamememe home.

As far as speaking Spanish it's NOT an exaggeration and you will get dirty looks if you don't 'habla'. I have not seen this in other states (NY,AZ,CA,TX) that have large hispanic communities.

And despite what some have stated, there is NO professionalism anywhere in Miami. Not from doctors, government, service industry. NOWHERE. In spite of getting paid minimum wage, I have not seen the same lack of professionalism from employess at big chain stores in other states.

Please stop deflecting and making excuses. YOU PEOPLE should get off the forums where you sit all day trying to protect your own and go out in the communities to try to find ways to fix all the issues.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
+1

Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 PM

278 posts, read 621,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
Rants such as these by a particular group of people who arrived on a raft a few decades ago and dare call me a 'transplant' when my famiy has lived, and assimilated in this country for centuries are the reason why Miami is such a miserable place to live. Only stuck-up, arrogant,selfish, racist, ignorant people who have low standards because they come fom a communist country can call Miamememe home.

As far as speaking Spanish it's NOT an exaggeration and you will get dirty looks if you don't 'habla'. I have not seen this in other states (NY,AZ,CA,TX) that have large hispanic communities.

And despite what some have stated, there is NO professionalism anywhere in Miami. Not from doctors, government, service industry. NOWHERE. In spite of getting paid minimum wage, I have not seen the same lack of professionalism from employess at big chain stores in other states.

Please stop deflecting and making excuses. YOU PEOPLE should get off the forums where you sit all day trying to protect your own and go out in the communities to try to find ways to fix all the issues.

1) Miami is a great place to live in.

2) Nobody called U a transplant.

3) the usa is a union of 50 States and territories and Many of those States happen to be former spanish colonies, so both english and spanish are the 2 mother tongues.

4) Miami (SoFla) is better than most US cities, visited by more than 20 million tourist each year, so it isnt that hell hole you are describing.

5) Well, unless you are a cherokee, all US nationals are the offprings of immigrants. If you dislike spanish speaking immigrants, you should move to New England.

6) the only reason you hate spanish speakers is because you dont like the idea that spanish speakers can be very succesfull in Miami and arent working on your lawn like Mexicans do in Texas.

7) South Florida without the Cubans and other spanish Americans, would be an extension of Georgia, populated by a majority of african Americans.

A Miami without Spanish speaking tourist would go Bankrupt in a week.

A Miami without the Money that comes from south america, would become a swamp.

Orlando too.

Miami without Spanish speakers and its flavor wouldnt even be attractive for European tourists.

You should thank that Spain discovered FLa, then you should thank that Cubans arrived fleeing "communism", because those cubans, were/are very skilled and set the foundation of Miami, a city that attracts millions of spanish speaker tourists, suck their money, a city where the strongest LatAm banks have the savings of the high Middle and rich of Spanish america, a city that attracts world tourists due to its flavor, etc.

Miami without the Cubans that Came 50 years ago, would be a huge liberty city today.

Last edited by Venezuelan; 04-26-2011 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
1) Miami is a great place to live in.*

2) Nobody called U a transplant.*

3) the usa is a union of 50 States and territories and Many of those States happen to be former spanish colonies, so both english and spanish are the 2 mother tongues.

4) Miami (SoFla) is better than most US cities, visited by more than 20 million tourist each year, so it isnt that hell hole you are describing.

5) Well, unless you are a cherokee, all US nationals are the offprings of immigrants. If you dislike spanish speaking immigrants, you should move to New England.

6) the only reason you hate spanish speakers is because you dont like the idea that spanish speakers can be very succesfull in Miami and arent working on your lawn like Mexicans do in Texas.

7) So Florida without the Cubans and other spanish Americans, would be an extension of Georgia, populated by a majority of african Americans.

A Miami without Spanish speaking tourist would go Bankrupt in a week.

A Miami without the Money that comes from south america, would become a swamp.

Orlando too.
Wow, where do I start? Let me guess, you live in Doralzuela and think Venezuelans are super duper awesome?
1) That's your opinion and you're entitled to it even though you enetered my country illegally.
2) Yes, many of you lovely native Miamians despise anyone who comes here from other US states (gow baaak too weaare juuu caiimee frrrom is what I often see posted here on CD)
3) Gee, thanks for the history lesson. In spite of who colonized what and when, most real Americans still consider English the native tongue. That is why Italians, Irish, Jewish, Chinese, etc,etc ALL learned english to become successful in the US, not Spanish
4) Again, your opinion. You're entitled to it. It is definitely a shopping ground for many of the wealthy in Latin America. Last I checked, it was the Brazillians who were pouring the most money into shoppng and vacation homes in South Florida. But those folks*
are too smart to actually LIVE in a swamp.*
5) I'm not Cherokee nor do I dislike the Spanish speaking. I dislike the arrogant attitude ( the tone of many of these posts is a great example of this arrogance) that you MUST speak spanish in South Florida.
6)You're making an ignorant assumption that I'm NOT hispanic because I have manners and an education, and yet don't act like a snob. You know, when you ASSume, it makes an ASS out of u and me. And my 'lawn guy' is Cuban. I know......how ironic! The bigger irony is that my field of work involves helping hispanics prosper.....but I digress.
7) What exactly is wrong with an extension of Georgia populated by a majority of African Americans? Please refer back to my comment on the ignorant, racist attiude by the 'hispanics' in South Florida that make one feel like they're in *a trailer park in 1940's Mississippi.

Apples and oranges. You're talking about the tourists. My comments we're about the lovely residents of Miami. But since you brought it up, you're right. Miami could not survive without all the money brought in by tourism. That is why Miamians must keep the facade of the tropical paradise alive. To sucker, I mean, lure, transplants and tourists with dinero.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM

I don't want to get all dataY on you people but, New York City, Los angeles and San Francisco have more visitors than Miami. Sorry to break the news, but there are tourists from Europe, Asia, Middle East who are interested in more than just shopping and partying while on vacation.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
Quote:
I don't want to get all dataY on you people but, New York City, Los angeles and San Francisco have more visitors than Miami. Sorry to break the news, but there are tourists from Europe, Asia, Middle East who are interested in more than just shopping and partying while on vacation.
1. the difference between LA, San Francisco and Miami is minimal.
2. With Mexico being a car drive from CA is no real surprise.
3. Many Mexicans come to visit family and don't spend much here.
4. Out of the 4th cities you listed, Miami is the only one who had increases in the # of tourists.

Last edited by Hialeah_Rules; 04-26-2011 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:

So what do tourist do besides shopping and partying in these world class cities ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami