Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? It seems that the most professional this city gets is working at McDonald's. There's really little to no corporate culture, as in a large number of the population that is white collar, middle class, commute downtown, etc. like you would expect of pretty much any other city in the country. There are only like 3 actual office buildings downtown, the other 100 are condos... Just an observation.
how old are you?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
One thing I especially notice, especially with small, non-chain stores is that if you go in to "look" around, it's general frowned upon if you leave without buying anything. Which is kinda annoying. Cause hey, at least I walked in and *might* have bought something.
OMG if someone said that to me I'd be like "well I was sorta looking at this nice-looking (whatever is in front of me) but since you asked me that, no." and left.

OP, you have to realize that 1) Miami is a largely tourist-and-immigrant area so people surrounded by this mix of culture might be more laid back to begin with, and 2) the professional culture that there is (don't overlook import/exporting, international business) might be somewhere you're not aware of.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM

278 posts, read 621,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? It seems that the most professional this city gets is working at McDonald's. There's really little to no corporate culture, as in a large number of the population that is white collar, middle class, commute downtown, etc. like you would expect of pretty much any other city in the country. There are only like 3 actual office buildings downtown, the other 100 are condos... Just an observation.
Miami is a Tropical City, built for Tourism, and one of the most visited cities in the world.

Why do u want Miami to be a clone of other US cities?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Miami is a Tropical City, built for Tourism, and one of the most visited cities in the world.

Why do u want Miami to be a clone of other US cities?
I don't! I actually consider this to be a good thing. Sure, customer service is crap, but at least we're unique. :P I was simply pointing out something I noticed and wanted to see if anyone else had too. Miami is fine how it is.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,544 times
Miami seems to exist for the sole purpose blowing minds!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Miami is a mean mammy jammy but I love it anyway. Maybe it is corporate unculture here, give everyone a sizeable raise and see if the attitudes change.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Miami is a mean mammy jammy but I love it anyway. Maybe it is corporate unculture here, give everyone a sizeable raise and see if the attitudes change.
You know what, you're actually right. Pay people what they are worth, treat them better and you will get better.

Right now, most people are not paid what they deserve and are treated like crap. That trickles down to the customer and we are treated like crap...because hey, for minimum wage, they just don't care.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Anyone been watching South Beach Classics? Cartoon characters in the flesh.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/south-beach-classics-deadline-fail.html

If you watched it last night, you heard many of the elements we talk about in this thread.

On the missed deadline segment, guy puts down a deposit, comes back in 10 days and the guy's car is not ready. Ted blames the mechanic, the mechanic says" "We loose deposits all the time". The mechanic blames the car wash guy who says, "It's not his job".

Guy comes in to buy a Godfather Lincoln and offers Robin a number under asking price. When Robin says no, guy asked for Ted. Robin says to the customer "If you were dealing with Ted, he would have already thrown you out."

Guy comes in and buys a Ford Corbra and has problems, calls Ted. Ted blames the problem on the customer wanting to take the car off the lot before they had time to get it ready. Customer thinks it will only be a couple of days, but takes a week. When Ted delivers the car, he reminds the customer it took $2,000 to fix it.

It's a great train wreck to watch if you can't get enough of the way people do business here. It's Miami's version of American Chopper with 2 more wheels. Awesome!

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 04-07-2011 at 05:07 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 AM

221 posts, read 453,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
You know what, you're actually right. Pay people what they are worth, treat them better and you will get better.

Right now, most people are not paid what they deserve and are treated like crap. That trickles down to the customer and we are treated like crap...because hey, for minimum wage, they just don't care.
That's not the right attitude to have.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
That's not the right attitude to have.
I agree, that's not the answer. There was a study done some time ago where they interviewed some of the richest men in the world and asked them how much more money they would need to make in order to be truly happy. The results came back almost universally at the 10% mark. You could give everyone in Miami a 10% raise, but soon they would be unhappy until they received another 10%, but there may be another dynamic particular to Miami.

Yesterday, I was doing business with a lady at the bank. She was a nice elderly Latin lady and we talked about the weather as chit chat. It was windy out and she commented how many people had come in and complained about the wind.

She went on to say, people of Miami complain when it's cold, when it's hot, when it's dry and when it rains. She said people of Miami complain a lot, and nobody seems happy with the weather no matter what the weather. Then she said, "People of Miami complain a lot about everything and not just the weather".

We can sit here on CD and say customer service is not great and whine incessantly about it, but nothing we can say here is going to change the way Miami is, like many things in Miami, it's love it, deal with it, or leave Miami.

I still stand by my earlier statements, service at the top is very good, but not so good, to unbelievably deplorable everywhere else. Why there is such a gap, I don't claim to know, but it was here the day I arrived and will likely be here the day that I leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami