Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade has been the worst in South Florida?
1960's 1 2.86%
1980's 23 65.71%
1990's 5 14.29%
2000's 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,331 times

Advertisements

I voted 1980's. Miami basically become un-live-able around the mid 1980's.......but, again, it is what it is and that is "ok" for some folks.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:40 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,636 times
The 1980's when the mariel came...Miami was never the same. It is so sad what happened to my beloved city.

I still remember getting ice cream in Miami Beach and seeing the old people dancing....

Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 PM

326 posts, read 470,616 times
i'd say the 2000s because that is when the country killers George W Bush and Dick Cheney stole the white house, and apparently, south florida, as well as the entire country, was literally capped from any further improvements, not to mention with George W Bush's brother, Jeb, being governor of Florida at the time. although I do hear that florida is improving under Charlie Crist, I can imagine that the state is really struggling hard against the failing economy of the entire United States, which is slowly but inexorably being killed by Bush and Cheney.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:47 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
i'd say the 2000s because that is when the country killers George W Bush and Dick Cheney stole the white house, and apparently, south florida, as well as the entire country, was literally capped from any further improvements, not to mention with George W Bush's brother, Jeb, being governor of Florida at the time. although I do hear that florida is improving under Charlie Crist, I can imagine that the state is really struggling hard against the failing economy of the entire United States, which is slowly but inexorably being killed by Bush and Cheney.
Your political trolling aside, the 2000s have also been bad for Miami but the 1980's were still worse. And for the record, nobody stole anything in 2000. Even the ultra-liberal New York Times concluded in their post election study that Bush would have won the election even if the US Supreme Court had allowed the illegal recount to proceed.
By the way, what decade did you leave Maimi? I just want to know in case anyone starts a poll for "best decade" for Miami.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
We can't blame it on just the Cubans, they had come in the 1960's and Miami was still liveable back then. The problem seems to be the cultural change, Cubans were an isolated group that moved into the declining areas north of 8'th street. Miami still had a dominant non-latin culture, and plenty of "old south" discrimination seen at the areas north of the river, coconut grove on US-1 and parts of South Miami. "White Flight" was underway when Cubans moved in and served as a buffer between non-Latin and Black areas. As far as I remember the 80's brought in a swarm of refugees that reinforced the culture and some criminals to give an extra push to the drug culture. Miami Vice gave international attention the city, and that's when I started to see the Mc Mansions and luxury cars popping up everywhere. Once Latin American culture dominated it allowed questionable money to flow from South America and drive up prices. Someone should really do a documentary about why Miami became what is is.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 PM

63 posts, read 366,991 times
The downfall of Miami (and every major city around the globe) is attributed to the welcomed arrival of narcotic street drugs. Everything else after that is just gravy!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
Actually it is the liberal mentality and philosophy which runs Miami which is leading to it's demise. The whole liberal idea of multi-cultralism, was\is tooken\ taken to the extreme in Miami where most of the people refuse to become assimilated into American culture and speak english. Most of the people leaving Miami are going to areas which are typically more conservative Georgia Texas, The Carolinas etc.
Charlie Crist is doing a good job trying to lower property taxes to make Florida more affordable for the middle class, but of course the liberal establishment who runs the media down here wants to focus on how much less corrupt city government and programs will get so the average folks can have some more money in their pockets.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:42 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
I'm voting the decade 2000.I grew up in Miami I have seen it thru time.The Cuban population did have a impact though alot became established english speaking Americans.Its the recent influx of south American nationalities that has made Miami entrenched totally in latin culture,hence you are greeted with hola not hello.Hurricane Andrew had a huge population impact on Miami as well.Good luck,I don't live there anymore.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 AM

15 posts, read 48,458 times
This is a disgusting thinly veiled racist thread. It makes me sick.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Another Miami thread gone bad, time to close it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami