Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 10,719 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job interview for a company in Hialeah that will deal with customer interaction on a daily basis. My job is the one relocating us to Miami down there from Chicago so we do not know the area very well. My husband has taken some Spanish classes but is not close to being fluent...just wondering if that will be an issue in that area or a definite "No" from that job prospect. Also, We do not know very much about Hialeah--is it nice, safe? How long will the commute be from downtown Miami? Just looking for some help!.. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM

It is the NW side..up near Carol City (by way of a map)

Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I recommend a wikipedia search on Hialeah to get some relatively objective information. Then do a search on here for past posts. That will give you an accurate isea of what kind of community Hialeah is without people giving you overly dramatic posts.

A reasonable answer to your question, you will find, is Hialeah will probably not be a place an Anglo American family would choose to work or relocate to if moving to Miami Dade County. It is possible, but there are reasons so few people in your position would do it. Who knows, maybe you are one of the few that would enjoy it. Likewise, very few people commute to downtown from Hialeah, but it is doable if necessary.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Hialeah? are you serious? LOL.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
I wouldn't live there. Aventura or some places up in Broward might be a better compromise as far as commute goes.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,336 times
Op,
Are you for real or just startng a thread to bash a city that has been the brunt of all jokes for decades? You and your husband sound like extremely educated and intelligent people to have jobs that will require you to relocate. I am sure you won't be greeting folks at Wal Mart or changing oil at Jiffy Lube. Why don't you go on google maps ,type Hialeah, look around, do a search on city data,and BAM you will have your own answer.
I love how people automatically answer "Oh I would go to Aventura if I were you."

Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM

No, I am being for real. I got a job as a lawyer in downtown Miami and we have already put a down payment on a condo. My husband has been looking for jobs in not-for-profit organization and landed an interview as a director. The address said Miami but then I google-mapped the address and it said Hialeah although by the map it looked fairly far NW from Hialeah. He is not afraid of commuting, in Chicago we commute 1.5 hours everday. I just have never heard of that area and the research I did only said it was a predominately Hispanic population.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
I'd be scared to take a non-profit job here. those companies are probably rife with corruption here and being director id be afraid they'd be setting me up as the fall guy.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I'd be scared to take a non-profit job here. those companies are probably rife with corruption here and being director id be afraid they'd be setting me up as the fall guy.
If that's the case then they should be used to it, given they're coming from Chicago and all.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami