Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM

31 posts, read 58,961 times

Advertisements

We are weighing the pros and cons of moving to Miami from the Bay Area. We are empty nesters so schools aren't an issue, and DH job is located in downtown Miami close to the American Airlines Arena. We are used to living in an area with a high COL, and if we were to buy, would probably spend about 1-1.5 million on a home or condo. Our home now is a 15 minute commute, we would extend that to 30 min for a nice place. And would plan to spend 3-4,000 mo if we were to rent. Our biggest peeve about living in NorCal is the 45 minute drive to the beach, and then it being fogged in or just cold (forget about swimming). If we were to make the move, I want easy walking access to a beach. Could anyone make neighborhood recommendations? Also, how dog friendly is Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,803,358 times
Easy *walking* access to the beach and a short commute to the AA arena?

I guess South Beach.

Or some place on Key Biscayne.

Other than that, maybe Bal Harbor or Surfside.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,737,697 times
Key Biscayne but remember it is rich Latin Americans living there. South beach can get tiresome with tourist so I would do north beach. Brickell and downtown are very walk able areas but not walk able to the beach. Surfside is nice but traffic can be a problem if you only want the max thirty mins drive.

That being said Miami beach is way different from silicon valley so you might want to put up with a little bit more drive time. I would rent in north beach or south beach to get a feel for the area and then see what you like most

Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:

I guess South Beach.
Thanks - we are just going through the preliminaries, checking stuff out on line, etc. We would live in corporate housing for about 3 months prior to buying, and want to rent close to the area we want to end up in.

I know I have a romanticized the idea of living close to a beach - right now I walk our dog 3-6 miles a day - mainly a large loop around our neighborhood - sometimes on a pathway along the river. The neighborhood is noisy, with traffic - purely for exercise, the river is nicer, although our river valley has many tent "villages", with the occasional encounter with the homeless. The bicycles come whipping by, and I have to walk under several noisy overpasses. I would assume the beach area has dog restrictions? In San Diego - dogs can only be on the beach (on leash) before 9am and after 6.

I want to make a good choice in where to live - is there residential areas in South Beach? We'd prefer to be in a house over a condo (once again dog restrictions, and just the hassle of potty breaks in a condo). Thanks.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,737,697 times
The northern parts of south beach are residential and no problems with dogs. Considering what you describe from your current location, you will be very pleased down here. Good for you that you will be in corporate housing because you really should do a lot of discovering the various areas in Miami and get a good feel for them.

We love the beach but with our over thirty years living in south Florida we would rather be inland.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:00 AM

DH has been looking at condos online in Brickell. Once again - he/we have a romanticized idea of this move. Condo fees are not listed in the prices - I'm sure with valet parking and onsite fitness centers the fees will be in the 1500-2000/mo range (if not higher). 3 Bdrms are beautiful - until the house guests arrive!

I would rather be in a neighborhood, maybe a gated community - where we can actually meet people and have some friends. We have lived in 2 townhouse communities here in SV....neighbors duck their heads to avoid making eye contact and drive into their garages. A huge lack of like minded people........unfortunately we didn't fall into the categories of liberal, foodie, wine aficionado, Stanford grad, or techie.

We want to do our research and find a friendly community to live in, maybe join a golf club......open to suggestions.....

Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,185,344 times
Re. dogs on the beach, that's not allowed anywhere in the Miami area, except a small beach off the Rikenbacker causeway. Re. condo HOA fees, those are paid by the owner of the condo. If you are renting you don't need to pay anything beyond the rent.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Re. condo HOA fees, those are paid by the owner of the condo. If you are
renting you don't need to pay anything beyond the rent.
We're scrapping the condo idea. It's just too much hassle with a dog.... We are now focusing on a 3-4 bedroom house with a pool in a nice neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,413,674 times
There is a sticky thread with a map of Miami detailing the areas of Miami-Dade. The link to the map is in the first post. This should start you on your search for a single family home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami