Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,154 times

Advertisements

Let's look at it from this standpoint, what if Japan is where Cuba is now location wise and vice versa, how many Cubans do you think would be here in Miami versus the Japanese people had their government been overthrown in 1959. The tables would have been turned as the demographics would be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,190,745 times
Yeah

Old 04-26-2011, 03:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc9812 View Post
There are no Asians in Miami because they are too smart to move to a slum swamp with no jobs for smart people. Asians go to NY and CA where there are jobs for intelligent people and better educational options. Additionally, Asian cultures are too proper and polite to deal with the Miami BS. Criminal driving behavior, rude people everywhere, no customer service, no respect for your fellow man, high crime and corruption. Lastly, there is so much racism against anyone who is not Cuban, by the ignorant Cuban majority (and I don't mean that as a compliment) that it would be like what the Chinese went through over 100 years ago in California. Who wants to deal with that in 2011? There is absolutely nothing attractive about Miami to an Asian person. You wanna live somewhere where you will hardly ever see people who resemble you, you will encounter racism on a daily basis and you won't find a job because you don't speak Spanish and are too overqualified? Really, why would they move to Miami?
-----

There is a large and dilapidated China Town in Havana, not many discernible Chinese left there though there are some Chinese restaurants that survived under the form of cultural societies, now financed by China. The entire China Town of Havana, maybe one of the oldest China Towns in America, is now in Miami under the form of Cantonese restaurants and Flower shops.

Asians are part of the so-called Latin culture, for example, Chinese remedies are part of the "Latin" culture, Budda is in most Latin houses, etc. I doubt that Chinese culture is part of Middle America.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Look at the Japanese. After seeing their towns destroyed, flooded, and pretty much having experienced 3 disasters at once, they still wait properly in line for aids and supplements - no panicking, riots, looting, etc.... An advanced society in all the sense of the word.
true that.

heres another question for you. if the japanese cant get a nuclear disaster under control how do you feel about turkey point?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM

193 posts, read 371,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

There is a large and dilapidated China Town in Havana, not many discernible Chinese left there though there are some Chinese restaurants that survived under the form of cultural societies, now financed by China. The entire China Town of Havana, maybe one of the oldest China Towns in America, is now in Miami under the form of Cantonese restaurants and Flower shops.

Asians are part of the so-called Latin culture, for example, Chinese remedies are part of the "Latin" culture, Budda is in most Latin houses, etc. I doubt that Chinese culture is part of Middle America.
lmao! Where do you get this stuff from?! With the exception of "Asian themed garden ornaments", I've never seen that.

Next you'll be telling us the Chinese are part Latino.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 AM

19 posts, read 24,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

This makes no sense in a discussion about Asians in Miami, not Asians in Latin America or Cuba. Yes, there are many Asians in Latin America. São Paulo has the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan. Peru has a large japanese population and have had a Japanese president. Peru also has a large Chinese community and their own blend of Chinese/Peruvian food called 'Chifa'. Argentina and Mexico also has a large Korean and Filipino population. If the OP had asked about Asians in Latin America, my answer would have been different. The question is why aren't there many Asians in Miami, and racism and ignorant people would be at the top of my list of reasons.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,291 times
Zanja was and maybe is a major Chinatown in havana.
Anyway, as far as Asians in Miami are concerned, maybe they prefer other American cities for whatever reason, but I will tell you this: There are many, and I mean MANY, Filippino nurses, both men and women, in Miami. Once I met one, it's like I met Manila.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
Zanja was and maybe is a major Chinatown in havana.
Anyway, as far as Asians in Miami are concerned, maybe they prefer other American cities for whatever reason, but I will tell you this: There are many, and I mean MANY, Filippino nurses, both men and women, in Miami. Once I met one, it's like I met Manila.
where do they hide them?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie_ View Post
dalmain, do you mind telling me what area you church is in? DM if you like.

yes, very true. you will always find Filipinos in healthcare! I'm in health care too so I'm sure I will meet some anywhere I go.

Manolón, do you really consider Filipinos Latin? Obviously I know about the shared culture/language from colonization by Spain but do other Latinos commonly think this? My cuban friends from Miami didn't have a clue that Spain colonized the Philippines and our languages had many Spanish words until I told them... lol They were shocked. It was kind of funny, I don't know if it's commonly known by other ethnic groups or what.
Actually many Filipinos consider themselves part latin. The ones I know have always refered to themselves as being an Asian/Latin mix.
It's strange that your Cuban friends from Miami didn't know about Spain colonizing the Philippines because during the Imelda Marcos fiasco, the Phillippines was always in the news.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
where do they hide them?
Down south, newer developments in Kendall, even Westchester!
It was very cool to be the only Cuban-American in a Manny Paquiao pay per view watching event. Unfortunately they were not into cooking so the food was typical chips/dips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami