Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Little Texas
That's an oxymoron that most certainly could be every bit as offensive to the average Texan as per se a "Cuban Latina".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM

73 posts, read 113,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I disagree based on reading the tempo of the regular posters about living in Miami. They tend to make the quality of life here much worse than it is.

I generally find much of the information provided here to be heavily biased towards the negative and incorrect. I think it may be because the opinons are from those who move in from other areas and cannot adjust and find similar mindsets in this forum. Could also be those who have not found success here and have a backlash against the predominately Hispanic culture of the city which manages to exist and succeed here.
I think I peed my pants a bit when I read this post. Hilarious. This individual must be a comedian. Coming from someone who lived in Miami for many years, and had a very successful, thriving business that catered to the Hispanic community ( I swear, I even drove a white Range Rover....I was so cool!), not all negative backlash is from unsuccessful folks. If existing and succeeding means navigating that swampy wasteland that is Miami, then yes, the predominantly Cuban culture is really a great success. In fact, I know many successful Hispanic folks, who are NOT Cuban who have chosen to move away from lovely Miami. And the backlash is all that and more, but I won't bore the OP with that, as they have made up their mind to move to Miami and is here seeking advice from the very nice people on CD who reside or have resided there.

But to answer the OP's question, and not get sidetracked with my own ridiculous agenda like other 'successful folks', I would suggest South Beach is the best place for you. You can certainly find something within your budget and even less if you care to share an apartment with someone. Be careful with those ads on Craigslist, as I've heard of quite a few scams on there lately in South Florida. If you can find a job near where you live, and you don't have to drive, you will have a truly amazing experience in Miami. Yes, it's hard to find a job, but not impossible if you're willing to do anything for the time being. You seem to have the drive so, go for it. Good luck to you!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
There was no eloquence in those posts. They were hateful, nearly demented and quite incorrect. Also, from a self admitted outsider and no longer a resident.

Ah, I know what category you are in as you presume too much as well.

It is not the rose colored view of Miami which is correct either but not the nonesense that is bandied about here to genuine inquiries from folks seeking to move here. There is no balance in this portion of the forum.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-25-2011 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Look everyone will have their own experience may it be positive or negative. Just because one person doesn't have a good experience to express doesn't mean Miami is going to be a bad place for the next person. The only way for the OP to know is to visit and find out for themself.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
I live in East Orlando. Is possible I may have to move to the Miami Area. I only being here for 2 yrs. I was from Connecticut live there for 18 years. Is a good possibility that I job may open at the Miami Airport. I have a 16 year old son I'm looking for a good High School and a nice area to live. I really need help trying to figure out what would be the best area for me and my son. Can anyone help

Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Killian High School and Palmetto high School are both good public schools, but your commute to the airport depending on yours hours could be rough.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM

119 posts, read 312,885 times
your son will resent you for moving him to a third world country specially if you guys are originally from CT or even if he spent his whole life in Orlando...

its a different country if anything move to Davie and send him to American Heritage

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
I think I peed my pants a bit when I read this post. Hilarious. This individual must be a comedian. Coming from someone who lived in Miami for many years, and had a very successful, thriving business that catered to the Hispanic community ( I swear, I even drove a white Range Rover....I was so cool!), not all negative backlash is from unsuccessful folks. If existing and succeeding means navigating that swampy wasteland that is Miami, then yes, the predominantly Cuban culture is really a great success. In fact, I know many successful Hispanic folks, who are NOT Cuban who have chosen to move away from lovely Miami. And the backlash is all that and more, but I won't bore the OP with that, as they have made up their mind to move to Miami and is here seeking advice from the very nice people on CD who reside or have resided there.

But to answer the OP's question, and not get sidetracked with my own ridiculous agenda like other 'successful folks', I would suggest South Beach is the best place for you. You can certainly find something within your budget and even less if you care to share an apartment with someone. Be careful with those ads on Craigslist, as I've heard of quite a few scams on there lately in South Florida. If you can find a job near where you live, and you don't have to drive, you will have a truly amazing experience in Miami. Yes, it's hard to find a job, but not impossible if you're willing to do anything for the time being. You seem to have the drive so, go for it. Good luck to you!

Thank you, This is what I was looking for as an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami