Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 11:38 AM

31 posts, read 36,374 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm currently a junior in high school, and applying to colleges is coming fast. I want to do someting fitness, or business related, but I can't pin point the exact major yet. My grades aren't fantastic, but I could probably get into a few of the schools on my list.

Anyways, these are the ideas that popped into my head:

Go to a 2 year community college to get my general courses done with, then finish up at a college locally.

Go to a 4 year college locally.

Or go 2 years at a community college, then move out of state for a few years.

Something about living in Florida seems like a really good idea to me, and lately I've wanted to get away from massachusetts, and the area I live in. Going directly to a 4 year college in the Miami area seems like a huge step because I don't know how I'll like it, you know?

If you were me, what would you do? Right now my mind is set on 2 years at a community college, then move to Florida for a fun 2 years haha. But, I could change my mind tomorrow.

Also, let's go Heat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
OP , it really depends. If you do your first two years at a Community College you sort of miss out on the College experience that most Freshman get living in the dorms. People make many friends some life long in the dorms. But then going to a community college in Mass or in Florida is much cheaper. Also most community colleges are commuter schools so again you are missing out on that college experience and it will be harder to make friends since you most likely will not live in the dorms. Don't forget you will be paying out of state tuition costs (much higher price) if you come to Florida. Most of Miamis schools are commuter schools with the exception of UM.

Here is what I suggest, if you can get into and afford a 4 year University with a football team in a college town locally or out of state, do it. I wouldn't suggest breaking up your schooling. Just my opinion.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:37 PM

I'm really liking the idea of living in the Miami area, but I don't know if I want to live here for 4 years.

I wouldn't mind being 10-20mins away from the city, and I also want to get decent priced Heat season tickets hahah.

This is hard to decide on, doing the 2 year split seems easier.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:37 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolyy View Post
Hey everyone. I'm currently a junior in high school, and applying to colleges is coming fast. I want to do someting fitness, or business related, but I can't pin point the exact major yet. My grades aren't fantastic, but I could probably get into a few of the schools on my list.

Anyways, these are the ideas that popped into my head:

Go to a 2 year community college to get my general courses done with, then finish up at a college locally.

Go to a 4 year college locally.

Or go 2 years at a community college, then move out of state for a few years.

Something about living in Florida seems like a really good idea to me, and lately I've wanted to get away from massachusetts, and the area I live in. Going directly to a 4 year college in the Miami area seems like a huge step because I don't know how I'll like it, you know?

If you were me, what would you do? Right now my mind is set on 2 years at a community college, then move to Florida for a fun 2 years haha. But, I could change my mind tomorrow.

Also, let's go Heat!
Money wise, if it were me, (as I did), I'd go to a community college and get the AA. Once that is done, I'd transfer to a university or college. Keep in mind, if you go to college out of state, (if the rules are the same which I believe they are), you are not considered a "resident" until you've lived in that state for a year so your tuition prices will be a lot higher.

Best idea? Get your education done and over with, come to Miami set on for at least a year, see how you like it, (plus, you deserve a bit of a break after college), and if so, continue on with your education, (if you want to go higher), or continue working, always looking for a job in your field, if you haven't already found one by that time.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
That is pretty much exactly what I did when I was 19 - leave Mass and go live in Miami. I found it to be the best, most exciting and most memorable time of my life. If you aren't taking Spanish in school right now, start asap. Knowing at least some Spanish in Miami is very very beneficial to you. Understand that living in Miami is like one foot in America, one foot in Latin America. Also understand that due to the beach/vacation/Latin culture predominant in Miami, expect a dramatically different social environment than New England. Where New England is buttons and bows, Miami is a string bikini. Or lack thereof. New England is a choo-choo train and Miami is a roller coaster. New England is a poodle and Miami is a barrel of monkeys on acid.

That said, learn as much Spanish as possible, move to a roach motel on South Beach, and enroll in Miami-Dade Community College. It's an easy and scenic bus ride from South Beach. There is no doubt you will have fun.

One last thing, I suggest before you commit to a move, go stay at one of the hostels in South Beach. They only cost $20 a night - stay for a month. Get a real taste of Miami. I think it's superb for young people, I loved it. Many people hate it though. There's a LOT of kooks which can be hard to palette. Me, I like crazy people, they don't bore me. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's right for you.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Money wise, if it were me, (as I did), I'd go to a community college and get the AA. Once that is done, I'd transfer to a university or college. Keep in mind, if you go to college out of state, (if the rules are the same which I believe they are), you are not considered a "resident" until you've lived in that state for a year so your tuition prices will be a lot higher.

Best idea? Get your education done and over with, come to Miami set on for at least a year, see how you like it, (plus, you deserve a bit of a break after college), and if so, continue on with your education, (if you want to go higher), or continue working, always looking for a job in your field, if you haven't already found one by that time.
By community college, do you mean in Miami/Florida or in Mass?

And xS, thanks for the advice. It's such a big decision to make, but I have around 6 months to decide. I really want to live in Miami, I don't know for how long though.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolyy View Post
By community college, do you mean in Miami/Florida or in Mass?

And xS, thanks for the advice. It's such a big decision to make, but I have around 6 months to decide. I really want to live in Miami, I don't know for how long though.
What GM is saying is you get the state resident tuition price if you live in the state for 1 year before you start school. For example, resident tuition at Miami-Dade CC for 12 credits is $1138.00, non-resident is $4148.00. That's a whole lotta difference imo.

Tuition and Fees - Academic Programs - Miami Dade College

Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
What GM is saying is you get the state resident tuition price if you live in the state for 1 year before you start school. For example, resident tuition at Miami-Dade CC for 12 credits is $1138.00, non-resident is $4148.00. That's a whole lotta difference imo.

Tuition and Fees - Academic Programs - Miami Dade College
Oh, I get it know haha. I work in a grocery store, and they can help transfer your position, so for that year I could just focus on working, and working out while saving up money and enroll the following year.

It's definitely alot to think about, but I like the idea so far.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I need more input on the situation. I'm really starting to consider it but the thought of rent, food, and everything is putting a cloud over the situation.

I'm going to talk to my guidance counselor about college choices and bring this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami