U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,665,333 times

Advertisements

I am not from Miami, I had an experience the other day that was very interesting...from a multi-cultural perspective.

I was walking in an area of Little Haiti, and three people were arguing in the front yard of a home, two of them had 2 foot long machetes. I was wondering if I should call the police, as they looked like they were going to kill each other, from my perspective, but my friend I was walking with said, "No, that is normal, see, that way no one gets hurt..if everyone who is fighting has a machete, then no one gets out of hand"...Okay, we continued our walk...on the way back, we passed the same house, everyone was happy, and drinking a beer...Just another normal day in Little Haiti, I guess...

Last edited by jasper12; 05-05-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: edit
Rate this post positively

Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM

4,960 posts, read 9,299,580 times
Too many to count... none of them pleasant.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,862,111 times
LOL @ carrying Machetes.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM

18,845 posts, read 34,665,333 times
Where I am from, no one even has a machete...let alone has arguments in the front yard while holding them. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen...and this was in the front yard, in daylight...I seriously thought that this was a serious domestic violence incident...I did not realize that this is just "typical" for this culture...my friend, who lives in the area, was unconcerned.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,283,801 times
Miami is the type of city, if you wait around about 30 minutes, you'll see something unusual, this is definitely not a boring place.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM

780 posts, read 1,599,067 times
Haha I would not call that normal, but it's not enough to get more than perhaps a second look from me. I would feel a bit uncomfortable driving past, but I guess that's just another culture. It's probably strange for them to see us Cubans arguing - basically whoever is loudest wins.

I can't think of a specific multi-cultural experience recently, but in general I love hearing Creole. A lot of the bus drivers at my school are Haitian and it's really cool to hear them speak Creole. I know a couple words, but nowhere near enough to understand, I love how it sounds so alien yet it's normal here. It's also kind of interesting to see all the differences between the different cultures down here. Miami as a whole is very diverse, however it is quite segregated so you sometimes run into cultures or people that you never even knew existed. At school, I find it very cool to see how different cultures are. From my observations, no stereotypes, we Cubans tend to be louder but usually non-confrontational and just mind our own business. Haitians tend to be somewhat like Cubans except they are not as loud and are usually very humble and hard working. They tend to stay together also. African Americans are very loud and tend to be the ones responsible whenever there is a disturbance or something. They have no problems with yelling loudly or playful physical contact. They're usually really quiet when alone and just mind their own business, but when they're with friends, especially those of the opposite gender (mostly males with females) they are much more loud. Central Americans (Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, etc.) and Colombians are similar to Cubans except not as loud and usually quieter and hard-working. Big emphasis on family and always very friendly. Whites born here (most have transplant parents) are interesting because they are the only group, from what I've seen, who do not pay any, if they do little, attention to race or nationality. They socialize with everyone and blend in depending who they're with. Whites born somewhere else are very different and it's hard to classify because they can come from many different cultures. They can be like the ones born here or not, I don't have to much experience so I don't want to go by only a couple people I know.

So, these are all my observations and there are always exceptions obviously, I don't want to offend everybody, please don't take this too seriously or as a personal attack. I have very little experience with the area around Downtown or the beaches, this is all from what I see in NW Miami, parts of the SW, and up into extreme southern Broward. I love the different cultures you can find in Miami. Sometimes it seems like there are several different worlds coexisting in the same area. Sometimes it seems like people are living in their own world, oblivious to other cultures, sometimes it feels like you're somewhere you've never been before, while being in your own proverbial backyard. This is the beauty of Miami, its best quality. I wouldn't have it otherwise.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:14 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,059,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Haha I would not call that normal, but it's not enough to get more than perhaps a second look from me. I would feel a bit uncomfortable driving past, but I guess that's just another culture. It's probably strange for them to see us Cubans arguing - basically whoever is loudest wins.

I can't think of a specific multi-cultural experience recently, but in general I love hearing Creole. A lot of the bus drivers at my school are Haitian and it's really cool to hear them speak Creole. I know a couple words, but nowhere near enough to understand, I love how it sounds so alien yet it's normal here. It's also kind of interesting to see all the differences between the different cultures down here. Miami as a whole is very diverse, however it is quite segregated so you sometimes run into cultures or people that you never even knew existed. At school, I find it very cool to see how different cultures are. From my observations, no stereotypes, we Cubans tend to be louder but usually non-confrontational and just mind our own business. Haitians tend to be somewhat like Cubans except they are not as loud and are usually very humble and hard working. They tend to stay together also. African Americans are very loud and tend to be the ones responsible whenever there is a disturbance or something. They have no problems with yelling loudly or playful physical contact. They're usually really quiet when alone and just mind their own business, but when they're with friends, especially those of the opposite gender (mostly males with females) they are much more loud. Central Americans (Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, etc.) and Colombians are similar to Cubans except not as loud and usually quieter and hard-working. Big emphasis on family and always very friendly. Whites born here (most have transplant parents) are interesting because they are the only group, from what I've seen, who do not pay any, if they do little, attention to race or nationality. They socialize with everyone and blend in depending who they're with. Whites born somewhere else are very different and it's hard to classify because they can come from many different cultures. They can be like the ones born here or not, I don't have to much experience so I don't want to go by only a couple people I know.

So, these are all my observations and there are always exceptions obviously, I don't want to offend everybody, please don't take this too seriously or as a personal attack. I have very little experience with the area around Downtown or the beaches, this is all from what I see in NW Miami, parts of the SW, and up into extreme southern Broward. I love the different cultures you can find in Miami. Sometimes it seems like there are several different worlds coexisting in the same area. Sometimes it seems like people are living in their own world, oblivious to other cultures, sometimes it feels like you're somewhere you've never been before, while being in your own proverbial backyard. This is the beauty of Miami, its best quality. I wouldn't have it otherwise.
I'm totally with you on that! great post!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,980,681 times
i own 3 machetes and know someone who sleeps with one under their bed (as i do now!) =)

Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,059,329 times
If you've got two hands for two machetes, where does the third one go???

Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,980,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
If you've got two hands for two machetes, where does the third one go???
I have hidden talents =P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami