Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
The future of Miami holds unprecedented growth and prosperity. The advantage of Miami IS the strong South America ties. Brazil is booming. Miami is gearing up for the opening of the Miami Options Exchange. This is a major step forward.

Transportation will continue to grow, albeit slowly. The gridlock can only go on for so long when there are also high fuel prices on the horizon. It will be extremely advantageous for Miami if fuel prices do indeed stay high. Connectivity for all is part of what fuels prosperity.

The housing boom was fantastic for Miami. We have about 50 years worth of growth (and more going on now) in just a few short years. That's unheard of.

Brickell will continue to be first in growth and quality of life, but Downtown will follow.

I'm not sure what all the race chatter is about. It's really irrelevant. And for the record, Hispanic people are white.

Overall the future of Miami is very bright. It has great business prospects, an ideal climate and ties to areas of high growth.
I thought this was reasonable.

Although I question how much the Miami Options Exchange will really bring to S. Florida. Most "exchanges" have money flow in and out from external parties, and this won't create a load of jobs. What Miami needs is long term investment.

Also, I'm not sure it's good to have 50 years of a "housing boom" in 5 years, only for it to all fall apart afterward!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:17 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
What Miami needs is long term investment.
I can't see this happening due to the perceptions about work ethic in south florida and the increasingly poor demographics. companies here are sick of importing their labor from other states. they have to offer more money to get people to move here oftentimes as well. the less middle class we have, the less companies will want to be here.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Regarding Spanish, I think people are missing the point.
Many in Miami simply *prefer* to speak Spanish.

My GF and I, and our friends are very similar. We all speak English very well. I read, write, and speak English fluently. In fact, I think a lot of us have clearer accents than native English speakers and seem to have a better grasp of grammar than many ¨non-Hispanic whites¨.

We just prefer to speak Spanish. It has nothing to do with what is required or needed, etc.
It´s just a personal preference. I prefer brunette females with brown eyes and brown skin... it´s simply a matter of personal preference. I prefer to hire employees that understand Latin culture - again my preference.

Why should I switch over to English just because some ¨non-Hispanic white¨ does not like it? That´s right, I don´t and I surely don´t plan on ¨assimilating¨ into mainstream USA.

Being American does *not* mean we have to assimilate into the *majority* culture and do as they say. We Americans are free. We have the right to reject the prevailing culture and invent our own culture or make variations of the existing one to our liking and/or take it somewhere different. Is the USA culture such a wonderful culture that it has no room for evolution? Yeah right, let´s just freeze the culture right now, because it´s just so great as it is. Non-Hispanic whites do not believe we should be free to realize our own visions of what we think is the American culture. They want us to act like them.

And for those people who keep comparing Miami immigrants telling us to act like those immigrants 2-5 generations ago in other parts of the States who ¨assimilated¨, we´re different and we will adapt differently. Get over it.
I had to chime in here because your attitude is a shining example of why I do not miss South Florida one bit. It's not about being forced to do anything. I don't think anyone really gives a damn about what language you use at home or with your friends and relatives. The US does not have an official language, but it does have a common language; English. So it's not a matter of being "forced" to abandon your culture, it's a matter of respect, something which many people in Miami from all ethic groups are clearly lacking in. I have said to you personally in the past that while you may get away with that ****-poor attitude in Miami, it simply would not fly anywhere else, so if you're happy in Miami and not planning on relocating elsewhere in the US, I guess it's all good, bro.

It makes me wonder why some people even leave their own countries to begin with, if all they plan on doing is bunching together and living the same way they lived back home, then attempting to unite under some phony banner and "take over". It's called bull****, screw political correctness. If you hate the English language so much, leave, or at least stop being so damn arrogant.

Miami still makes me vomit and I don't even live there anymore (no offense to the decent Miamians out there whose voices seem to be drowned out by the obnoxious majority).

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I really wish some people would use reading comprehension skills. I did not say one shouldn't argue with someone younger than them, I said adults should not argue with children. It matters because adults should never "argue" with children. It's ridiculous.
So a "legal age" set by the government should dictate when somebody is eligible for conversation?

If this logic wasn't so ridiculous it would be funny.

So if your birthday is January 1 and you'll turn 18 then, but it's December 31, don't bother talking to Gator.

If you don't engage "children" then you're doing a disservice to everyone. Everyone has a view, an opinion and their own thoughts regardless of their age.

As a civilized society that hopes to continue to grow and prosper, we must hear those thoughts and react to them. If you put your fingers in your ears like a nitwit until the "children" are 18, you're not only screwing yourself, but society as well.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
I thought this was reasonable.

Although I question how much the Miami Options Exchange will really bring to S. Florida. Most "exchanges" have money flow in and out from external parties, and this won't create a load of jobs. What Miami needs is long term investment.

Also, I'm not sure it's good to have 50 years of a "housing boom" in 5 years, only for it to all fall apart afterward!
Thanks

The Options Exchange obviously won't be like bringing the NYSE here overnight, but it is a major start to continue strengthening the financial sector here in Miami. From there I can certainly see growth of another stock exchange here, focusing heavily on Latin America.

With regard to the housing, a lot of international investors are coming in, as well as more residents from Latin America. Having those people here continues to set Miami up well to being the gateway to Latin America, which as I said, is growing rapidly in many places.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Quote:
Thanks

The Options Exchange obviously won't be like bringing the NYSE here overnight, but it is a major start to continue strengthening the financial sector here in Miami. From there I can certainly see growth of another stock exchange here, focusing heavily on Latin America.
Do you have more info on this? Can't seem to find anything besides a small company called Miami International Holdings (they don't even have a website).

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Do you have more info on this? Can't seem to find anything besides a small company called Miami International Holdings (they don't even have a website).
Miami International to Introduce 10th U.S. Options Exchange - Bloomberg

Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 AM

193 posts, read 371,512 times
Quote:
Thanks

With regard to the housing, a lot of international investors are coming in, as well as more residents from Latin America. Having those people here continues to set Miami up well to being the gateway to Latin America, which as I said, is growing rapidly in many places.
I forgot to add - I'm hoping the higher fuel prices will lead to a better public transport system eventually; I'm just not sure what should come first - higher prices leading to pressure for better public transport, or public transport in anticipation of higher fuel prices.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
My crystal ball predicts 2 less Texans in Miami.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM

121 posts, read 282,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Pal, at least in the Cuban-American community that’s not happening. Yes, I see a lot of amusing arguments between people who never has set foot in the island but at the end of the day, they consider themselves American at heart. Now, in the West Coast, you are dealing with a disaster waiting to happen. Too much nationalism from you know where, too much open wounded due to some war back in the 1840s, too much political rhetoric for the Latin movement, too much Univision.

As a white (non-Latino) native of So.Calif. I find your above observation WAY OFF the mark. Here's why:

1. Even in Los Angeles, the Latin capital of California, ENGLISH is far more established than in Miami, esp. in business relationships.

The fact is there are too many non-latino influences (such as Aisa, Iranian, Armenian, etc.) which make it a NECESSITY to speak English if you want to advance your career.

2. It's a TINY fringe of folks who believe in that reconquista nonsense. Most of my Latino friends don't even know or care about that stuff.

A good friend of mine is married to a 2nd generation Latina (with mostly mexican roots), my Spanish is FAR BETTER than hers. I speak half-way decent Gringo Spanish but by no means am I fluent. So that should tell you something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami