Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Thanks! I needed a belly laugh!! I was going to say something hateful back, but I can't stop laughing at immigrant scallywag invader! Good one man, seriously. Rep to you.

---

Aren't you?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:37 AM

The problem is, those people are rare. I've been here 5 YEARS, (let's make that clear now), and it is now a shock to me when I meet someone who is nice. It should not be a shock to meet someone nice.

-------

Let's see...
You said you arrived 5 years ago....Lacitos arrived less than 1 year ago.
Miami was just like that when you arrived, Miami was just like that a long time ago.
Do you want all the inhabitants of a county to change their ways because you consider they are rude?
You should have checked Internet and all the info available about Miami, the city is just like that.
I find that NY is a disgusting city, but I would never dare to criticize them.
Concerning "nice" people, they might have another concept of what is nice and what is not nice.
For example, I find Southern people unnerving, I hate their manners. I think they are fake.
Just an opinion, different people, autre pays, autre moeurs.

Last edited by Manolón; 05-08-2011 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

Aren't you?
Of course I am, I don't laugh at things that aren't the truth and besides, why else would I move to Miami? This place is ground zero for scallywags.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 AM

769 posts, read 1,730,999 times
To an extent, Spanish and English are already needed in the Americas. With the exception of maybe Brazil or Canada, most of us speak some of both, and all of us at least one. However, Spanish will become less prevalent in Miami as time goes on. My generation, the ones just finishing high school, will want to move out to start a family. Yes, some will stay and start families here. Many will stay and not start families. But there will be enough leaving that Spanish will start losing force as more people from other parts of the country move here. The only thing keeping Spanish as a the "first language" here is the levels of immigration. Once immigration slows down enough, it will stop because to be honest, very little families retain their original culture for more than 2 generations. I am the child of immigrants and I do speak English and Spanish. However, my English is slightly better. I do plan to teaching my kids some Spanish, but I don't really plan on staying in Miami to raise a family. They will not know what a pastelito or croquetas are. I highly doubt their kids will learn Spanish. This is called assimilation, it's happened to every single immigrant group that's been through the United States. The only reason it seems that it's been postponed in Miami is because new immigrants are still coming in. Most of the original generation already assimilated and most are living in other parts of the world. The ones that speak Spanish are the recent newcomers.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Not in a foreeseable future, Latin America and particularly Cuba will bust in no time.
Argentina, Ecuador, Brazil now Peru will bust in no time, and even if only the very rich are allowed in the US, there will be many millions.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:06 AM

We can't sustain the level of immigration we had in , say 1959 or 1980, for very long. It's going to slow down and Miami is going to become more American.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM

American will always welcome rich and qualified immigrants, and many millions will come in no time.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Most of the rich and qualified immigrants speak English.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Most of the rich and qualified immigrants speak English.
Not true. If their first language is Spanish or Portuguese you will hear them speaking their native tongues among themselves or during customer service transactions. For brazilians is much easier to speak Spanish than English.

I speak Spanish all the time unless I have someone in the group who doesn't. I just feel more comfortable.

Most people that arrive as children will prefer to speak English. When English is learned at a early age, it tends to take over because it has a simpler grammar and it has less lip movement.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Among themselves, not during business transactions or in court or something. Manolon stated that Spanish would become more prevalent in Miami. This can't happen as long as there are people here that speak English. It already is prevalent. The only thing that can happen now is for it to become the official language. That will not happen. The influence of Spanish will decrease or stay the same in Miami. It might increase in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami