Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 AM

40 posts, read 176,279 times

Advertisements

Many people --mostly non Spanish speakers-- report a feeling of being in a foreign country in Miami.

I want to clarify that it does not has to do with speaking Spanish or not but with the third world attitudes prevalent in Miami-Dade... which was the main reason I moved from there and returned to my beloved Orlando.

Orlando has a huge Hispanic population mainly of Puerto Rican heritage which I am one of them. The big difference however between Miami and Orlando is that in Miami non Spanish speakers are seen as odd and in some way as foreigners... which is the attitude I can't stand from there.

In addition, in many parts of Miami many Spanish speakers DEMAND you to speak Spanish... which I give thanks to God that I am out of there even when Spanish is my native language.

In summary, speaking Spanish is not related to creating a foreign country like atmosphere, but the attitudes. I am proud that in Orlando we are able to speak English to the English speakers and Spanish to people who prefer Spanish without demanding any of the two languages from others.

Attitude and willingness to create a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere is what makes the difference.

THERE IS MORE WORLD AND BETTER LIFE OUT OF MIAMI. IT IS JUST THE LOBBY OF THE CONTINENTAL U.S.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,383,440 times
K.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
i think for me the foreignness is in regards to the ethics. if a culture's ethics are closer to my own i get along well with them. when i first moved here i felt like i could relate more to the southern blacks than i could to the latinos because we both understood right from wrong. the latinos just seemed like aliens to be. cutting in line was nothing to them but id look over and see a black woman shaking her head seeing the same thing i was seeing and telling her friend 'see that guy just cut right there? this is the rudest place you will ever live'
i worked at a place with a woman i was forced to work with who would go off on tirades about how she hated blacks and gays and all gays were retarded. it was soul destroying having to listen to that everyday. i'm so glad i was able to find another job.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Not that I would move to a city like Orlando just because of it. I stay in the English areas anyway most of the time. But you are right! The problem is this attitude that so many of the immigrants have especially from South America and especially the new immigrants. They have this if you do not speak Spanish your an idiot attitude and I wish those people would just go back to their countries sometimes. This is not something I see in all immigrants. I do not notice this in Haitians I have never noticed this in older Cubans. They are usually embarrassed when they cannot speak English. Europeans all speak English. It is the new Latin Americans. They are doing plenty of good things for this city they really are but at the same time they need to learn ENGLISH!!! Because I guarantee you if tens of thousands of Americans moved to Bogota or Caracas and did not learn Spanish and hated speaking Spanish they would call us all idiot Americans and want us to leave. But when they are here speaking Spanish we are the idiot Americans who cant learn Spanish or are just racist etc..
(I am Hispanic btw) And my mother who was born in Cuba feels the exact same way I do.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Puerto Ricans have been citizens for over a century so it would only be normal for them to speak English. Orlando is full of New Yoricans of which many can't even speak Spanish anymore. The 2010 Census shows that Miami Dade county's Hispanics accounted for 65% of the population whereas Orange county's share of hispanics is 27% or basically less than half that of Miami's.
Also hispanics in Orlando don't control the political or business construct in Orlando whereas they do in Miami. There is a big difference there unlike Orlando. One has too understand that Miami is one of the largest immigrant cities in the nation so you are going to get a different set of cultural norms that bothers a lot of people.

Last edited by MiamiRob; 05-09-2011 at 04:14 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I agree with a lot of what you have to say. Not that I would move to a city like Orlando just because of it. I stay in the English areas anyway most of the time. But you are right! The problem is this attitude that so many of the immigrants have especially from South America and especially the new immigrants. They have this if you do not speak Spanish your an idiot attitude and I wish those people would just go back to their countries sometimes. This is not something I see in all immigrants. I do not notice this in Haitians I have never noticed this in older Cubans. They are usually embarrassed when they cannot speak English. Europeans all speak English. It is the new Latin Americans. They are doing plenty of good things for this city they really are but at the same time they need to learn ENGLISH!!! Because I guarantee you if tens of thousands of Americans moved to Bogota or Caracas and did not learn Spanish and hated speaking Spanish they would call us all idiot Americans and want us to leave. But when they are here speaking Spanish we are the idiot Americans who cant learn Spanish or are just racist etc..
(I am Hispanic btw) And my mother who was born in Cuba feels the exact same way I do.

-----

It's different. I don't consider that wealthy people moving from South America to Miami are immigrants or refugees. They are "expats". They have every right to speak in one of the official languages.

Europeans don't care about language, Spanish don't speak English in Miami unless seriously drunk.

Those South Americans are just like Americans living in Mexico.

Everybody knows that the language of Miami is Spanish, Spanglish or whatever.

Last edited by Manolón; 05-09-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM

40 posts, read 176,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Also hispanics in Orlando don't control the political or business construct in Orlando whereas they do in Miami. There is a big difference there unlike Orlando.
I absolutely agree with you in this point. Hispanics in Orlando have a great participation in the local economy but it is not controlled by them like in Miami. Latin American countries are notorious for government corruption --WHICH DOES EXIST EVERYWHERE ELSE.

The problem of Miami --AND ANY OTHER PLACE WITH A LARGE IMMIGRANT POPULATION-- is that Hispanics have brought the same ***MOD CUT*** behaviors and corrupt government styles from their countries and insist in keeping it this way. This is the real problem... that Hispanics use Spanish to hide their corruption from the rest of the population.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-09-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
In addition, in many parts of Miami many Spanish speakers DEMAND you to speak Spanish...
thats crazy. to demand someone speak any language, especially if it is not the native language of the country. people and businesses go out of their way to cater to people that only speak spanish (interpreters and other services) and yet spanish speakers in Miami can't return the favor? grinds my gears...

Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Puerto Ricans have been citizens for over a century so it would only be normal for them to speak English. Orlando is full of New Yoricans of which many can't even speak Spanish anymore. The 2010 Census shows that Miami Dade county's Hispanics accounted for 65% of the population whereas Orange county's share of hispanics is 27% or basically less than half that of Miami's.
Also hispanics in Orlando don't control the political or business construct in Orlando whereas they do in Miami. There is a big difference there unlike Orlando. One has too understand that Miami is one of the largest immigrant cities in the nation so you are going to get a different set of cultural norms that bothers a lot of people.
you mean like that place I worked where the head of HR quit because corporate forced her to do her job? all they wanted her to do was take security badges away from leaving employees and do a follow up. she used to hire temp workers and work them to death while she sat on her a$$. when corporate finally forced her to work, she quit.

doubt she was puerto rican though. the new yoricans ive met seem to have damn good work ethic because if you dont do your job in NY you get fired!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM

193 posts, read 371,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
thats crazy. to demand someone speak any language, especially if it is not the native language of the country. people and businesses go out of their way to cater to people that only speak spanish (interpreters and other services) and yet spanish speakers in Miami can't return the favor? grinds my gears...
I've not seen/heard of that happening, and I look very "American". Maybe it's the areas I frequent - Kendall, Doral, Dadeland, Coral Gables, Downtown, the Beach.

Every time I go into a shop/restaurant I get various responses. When I finally get service (which Miami isn't known for! ) it's normally in either English or Spanish, and if the latter, the employee will usually switch to English when they realize I don't understand them.

It's been very rare that I've gone into a business and the server can't speak English, and on even rarer occasions have I gone to a place where no one speaks English (like once in 6 years).

And only once have I ever requested someone who speaks English natively - when I was buying a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami