Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times

Advertisements

I love looking into ways to do things cheaper. I am also extremely extremely fascinated by how poor immigrants get by and their resourcefulness. i have no shame/no pride. i can stay in hostels, rent cheap cars, etc. whatever it takes to do what i want to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
I love looking into ways to do things cheaper. I am also extremely extremely fascinated by how poor immigrants get by and their resourcefulness. i have no shame/no pride. i can stay in hostels, rent cheap cars, etc. whatever it takes to do what i want to do.
I always priceline stuff and use hotwire as much as possible. Always try to get good deals when I can! But...LadyKLO won't do hostels..LOL!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM

407 posts, read 828,879 times
Thats a good idea too! Priceline! I tried Kayak but that could be a bit confuessing

Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM

96 posts, read 210,152 times
Look for the "corporate discount codes" on google. For example avis.com site states " Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) Number or Rate Code " so search in google "Avis Worldwide Discount" and you will find the codes to input.

Also Avis told me that prices change daily start shopping well in advance if you are very price sensitive.

Long ordeal with my insurance and the "best body shop in Miami" I had to rent a car for a week out of pocket. It USD 300 range for a Toyota Corolla after using State of Florida employee AWD #.

Walk up price in an airport for ANYTHING is more expensive.
Look at the dollar menu @ Burger King inside MIA! They tried to charge me 50 euro for a Vodafone SIM card in Holland!

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Wow, I hate to say it, but you got ripped off!

In general, airport rentals are convenient, but much more expensive. On a weekly rental, expect the airport price to be $100-$200 more expensive than an off airport location.

In Miami, there are two off airport locations for Hertz that are much more affordable. One is near Coral Gables and the other is Downtown. Both are an easy walk from Metrorail.

I'm sure there are others, but I use Hertz so that's what I know

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM

142 posts, read 362,444 times
Wow yes definitely reserve in advance, you don't even have to go "off airport" to get a good rate. Orbitz, rentalcars.com both have great rates, you can get a car for under 250.00 a week.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:36 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I recommend Rent a Wreck. I don't know about the Miami Rent a Wreck, but I used the Fort Lauderdale one off of State Road 7. Their prices are very reasonable. Tell the lovely miss Noris or Jerry Orihuela at Rent a Wreck that Reptoid Humidian from San Diego sent you and that their business was highly recommended. By the way, it's cheaper to land at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport. They are also the main hub for Spirit Airlines which serves all the Caribbean and has flights to LA and Boston. You might want to see if they serve Kennedy or LaGuardia because they are super reasonable.
They fly to LGA and MANY other destinations in the US. But they are also known as the worst airline out there. But they do make a profit so people will pay low fares for no service and lots of extra fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Thank you for the replies, I think next time I go down there I'm going to have to book in advance and off a airport location. I was driving in what they call a "compact car". I think the airports know they can get the tourist and raise up the prices sky high.
You really got ripped off from the prices I found online.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:06 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,547 times
https://www.acorentacar.com/select-car.asp

I rented one a few months ago at 150.00 per week.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
They fly to LGA and MANY other destinations in the US. But they are also known as the worst airline out there. But they do make a profit so people will pay low fares for no service and lots of extra fees.

You really got ripped off from the prices I found online.
I used them to fly from LAX to FLL and I thought they were great.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
I met a couple in Key West that said they paid $80 something round trip for their ticket from PA to FLL on Spirit. I'll take no frills, I'll take not being able to use the bathroom without paying, I'll take no refreshments or snacks... $80 is a steal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami