Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 PM

55 posts, read 236,377 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I just got a job offer to work at the University of Miami - absolute dream job, but not neccessarily well paid.

I would like to live as close as possible to the University. My salary, however, will be in the mid to high 20k area. I don't intend to spend much time in my apartment, so I don't need much space. A studio/efficiency is perfectly fine. I would also be okay having a roommate. I'd like to keep rent (excluding any utilites) under $600. I have a car so I will be able to commute, however, I'd like to keep that commute under 10 minutes, 15 at the very most. Obviously, I'd prefer a nice over a not-so-nice area, but I don't mind ethnically diverse areas as long as I am safe walking around on the streets.

What areas should I look at? I know that I am on a tight budget but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Marissa4usa; 05-11-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
UM's in a pretty good area so you shouldn't have to look too far (though there is a small area around South Miami Hospital that's a bit sketchy). The area is pretty costly on the whole though, however you might be able to find something in your price range with a roommate.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 AM

96 posts, read 210,045 times
Look around 67th Ave from Sunset Dr to 40th St. That area is packed with apartments. There are some new apartments on 57th Ave, but probably more expensive. There are some apartments by US-1 right across the street from UM.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Rent a room and put stuff in storage, this may allow you to live closer to UM for $600/mo.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Rent a room and put stuff in storage, this may allow you to live closer to UM for $600/mo.
Rent a room as in sublet? I have two cats so that would most likely not work out. I don't mind living with roommates and I don't mind putting stuff in storage but I do want to be equal to the person I live with if that's what it ends up being.

I am happy to have a commute to the university, as long as it's reasonable. Under $600 would be ideal, if it's a bit over, I guess I'd be fine with that as well. I just don't want to have to move every few months.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Studio Miami Apartments for Rent - Find Studio Apartments in Miami, FL

Here is a list of studio apartments for rent.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Thanks, however, those seem to be primarily apartments owned by cooperations which I like to avoid if possible. I am not totally against it, I just feel that they overcharge you shamelessly. I prefer to rent from a private person or smaller apartment complexes. But I am open to anything. As a general rule, I'd also like to avoid having to sign a lease (but again, I am not totally against it).

Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times
Private renters are not gonna rent to a tenant with two cats.

Get rid of the cats or get a 12 month lease in the ghetto. $600 is not enough.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Private renters are not gonna rent to a tenant with two cats.

Get rid of the cats or get a 12 month lease in the ghetto. $600 is not enough.
While I agree that this is the case a lot of the time, I am living proof that this isn't always true.

Again, $600 is what I would like to spend. If it ends up being more, I guess I have to deal with it. It obviously doesn't make sense to get a cheaper place far away from where I work and then waste money on gas. I don't need to live in walking distance, either, so it's okay if I have to commute. I just would like to know about decent neighbourhoods in a reasonable distance where I am not broke after paying rent. Getting rid of the cats isn't an option. And if I have to sign a lease, then that's what I'll do. I am just stating my prefered ideal situation to see what the options are that most closely resemble this ideal scenario.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Marissa:

If you want to live alone, I'd suggest looking for studios (when attached to a private home or in a small building, they're usually called "efficiencies" in Miami) in the Coral Terrace, West Miami, Westchester, and Coral Way areas. These are middle-class, quiet and safe areas where rents are quite reasonable. Look the the local classifieds, look at the messageboards at the entrace to Winn Dixie or Publix, look on Craigslist, and ask around to see if any of your coworkers or friends know of anyone who is renting anything.

Another option would be to just share a 2-bedroom apartment. You can find a place where $600 will be your share in many older, smaller buildings in South Miami, East Kendall, Coconut Grove and even Coral Gables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami