Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofancy View Post
Whole foods is corporate, man. (and all over the US )
when burt's bees was purchased by clorox.... dude.. wtf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
At least it wasn't purchased by Union Carbide! Lol!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Miami is antihippy...
Hippies colonized Coral Gables with their cinemas, cafés, headshops and record shops and groovy parties, but all that's gone since 1981-82.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM

176 posts, read 646,704 times
The Bull Moose Cafe in North Miami (NE 125 st & 8 ave).....folk and acoustic singer-songwriters play on weekend nights. During the daytime have a coffee or any of their beers from around the world (if I'm not mistaken) and listen to guitarists jam-session. I hear rumors about the place and the lady but I am always pleased when I go.

Gateway Shopping Center on Sunrise Blvd just below where it splits with
US1....on the right side if you're heading east....there's independent films at the moviehouse...a bakery/cafe...japanese market with sushi chef...radioactive records where you can find many 60's-70's vinyls...and a gag gift shop.

The Maya Hatcha in the Grove on Grand Ave and the headshop on Main Hwy are the only real strongholds left.......and the Barnacle (though the intruding developments on either side of it proves rather discouraging)....

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
This is a little late, but as an FYI to all you hippies out there, Greynold's Park hosts a hippie love-in every year. They held it just a day before the OP posted his/her message, so they just missed it. This year they featured Jefferson Starship as the band. Here's the link: Greynolds Park Love-In

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^Actually Coconut Grove was started by hippies.
I don't think there were any hippies around in the 1820's when Coconut Grove was started, but..... I know what you mean.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Visit:
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden - Coral Gables

Everglades National Park, south of Homestead - on the way to or from - visit Robert Is Here Fruit stand to taste some of our wonderful tropical fruits and have a milkshake

The Florida Keys - on the way down there or back, go Card Sound Road and stop at Alabama Jack's restaurant. In the Keys - Islamorada/Plantation area, stop at the Rain Barrel for some real Key's art, stop at World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada

Go on a glass bottom boat tour out of Biscayne National Park (east of Homestead)- much better than the one from Pennekamp State park

Just a few suggestions.... Have a great time!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 AM

139 posts, read 277,531 times
I've had a few people that are on the hippy end of the spectrum rave about a place called Luna Star Cafe in North Miami. I've never been there myself as it was closed when I tried to go.

I believe it is right next to the art museum. Sort of a cool oasis of culture in what is otherwise somewhat of a seedy area.

Luna Star Cafe & Gallery- North Miami, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami