Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 AM

250 posts, read 696,441 times

Advertisements

Very well said and understood... Best of luck wherever you go. Florida will still be here for you when you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I knew this day would come...

... here, take this with you... momma baked it specially for you.

Don't forget you have a house here... make us proud.
Could you tell me what that is? It's making me drool!

And best of luck to Gatormama. Not every place is for everyone and I learned a long time ago to get out of situations that don't work. It's always, always been for the best and I've never had any regrets.

I'm originally from New England. Maine is my favorite place on Earth.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Empanada de espinacha

Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Yet another voice of reason leaves Miami-CD.

You could tell by her more recent posts she was at her wits end with this place. She was becoming increasing more agitated about all of it, and increasingly frantic to get out.

I liked her and liked Glasvegas as well. Both are gone now. Who's next?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Yet another voice of reason leaves Miami-CD.

You could tell by her more recent posts she was at her wits end with this place. She was becoming increasing more agitated about all of it, and increasingly frantic to get out.

I liked her and liked Glasvegas as well. Both are gone now. Who's next?
They won't be very easily replenished if we keep scaring people away. What we need to do is find humor in whatever we can and focus on the good and eccentric things of Miami to get an influx of people to change the balance. To do otherwise is to play into the hands of chaos.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
They won't be very easily replenished if we keep scaring people away. What we need to do is find humor in whatever we can and focus on the good and eccentric things of Miami to get an influx of people to change the balance. To do otherwise is to play into the hands of chaos.
I think this forum is pretty representative of Miami as a whole. We have hateful and unrealistic, pompous and single mindedness. We have a few super smart people like Boxus and Manolin. Some take this place too serious, some not serious enough. Some are pragmatic, others are overactive to a fault. Some run around here like a rebel without a cause.

Miami is not a place for the lightweights, being overly sensitive to anything is a sure way to get run off. Your abilty to accept change and your limits to acceptable tolerances will determine if Miami is for you.

Miami isn't a melting pot in ethnic makeup but a melting pot in attitudes. How you cope with those will likely determine how long you stay.

I cope mostly by finding humor. Miami set's itself up for superlatives. I might say, the Taliban runs Miami, but of course that not the truth. There is a shed of truth in that, and that's the humor in it.

We have to be able to laugh rather than take all this so seriously. If it was REALLY that bad, none of us would be here other than outlaws, outcasts and pirates. Oh wait...that's who lives here now!

Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Sure there will possibly be vast numbers that are disillusioned, but out of those there will be a considerable contingent that will sprout a pair and sink their roots into the South Florida Limestone, and become established citizens of Miami.

My message to those people would be that "yes, there's hardship. There's a lot of adversity that you will encounter in South Florida where Nature and Chaos are the order of the day. You will most likely live in a place that looks NOTHING like the condos of North Miami or South Beach, but you will be within short driving distance of places that you saved for an entire year, but were only able to spend a few weeks in. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that if you want to, you can drive down to the Florida Keys and it is only 3 hours away, and you'll enjoy every minute of those 3 hours. You will see the most amazing cloud formations - things which rival the Swiss Alps in grandeur. You will see a moment to moment ever-changing chiaroscuro of dramatic lighting effects that will, by so many orders, magnify the hues and color saturation of the vegetation that it will rival any acid trip you might take. You will be embraced by air of such richness, substance and fragrance that it will feel like the silk kiss of a velvet goddess. You will see the ocean glow from beneath as an electric blue-green turquoise before an approaching squall, and you will admit to yourself that the suffering has been worth it, because this is a jewel, a pearl of the highest price. Every geographic location has an oversoul, and you can feel the energy change even from the plane as you fly over the city. The Miami guardian is a capricious queen. She is Chaos personified. She showers you with gifts and bountiful treasure, and can remove it just as swiftly. You serenade her with Salsa and appease her anger by forgiving her subjects, and when the storm passes and she sees that you've weathered her outbursts and stayed with her even through the bad times, she rewards you for your commitment. In the end you see that she depends on you to plant the seed of order and save her from her own nature which is Chaos. It is truly a marriage! Nothing Less!"

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 05-17-2011 at 05:30 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Don't worry, eventually Miami will improve. Then you can visit it and have more fun. Either the locals will force change or a category 3+ will do it for them.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Gatormama, So where are you heading to?

Old 05-17-2011, 07:49 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Sure there will possibly be vast numbers that are disillusioned, but out of those there will be a considerable contingent that will sprout a pair and sink their roots into the South Florida Limestone, and become established citizens of Miami.

My message to those people would be that "yes, there's hardship. There's a lot of adversity that you will encounter in South Florida where Nature and Chaos are the order of the day. You will most likely live in a place that looks NOTHING like the condos of North Miami or South Beach, but you will be within short driving distance of places that you saved for an entire year, but were only able to spend a few weeks in. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that if you want to, you can drive down to the Florida Keys and it is only 3 hours away, and you'll enjoy every minute of those 3 hours. You will see the most amazing cloud formations - things which rival the Swiss Alps in grandeur. You will see a moment to moment ever-changing chiaroscuro of dramatic lighting effects that will, by so many orders, magnify the hues and color saturation of the vegetation that it will rival any acid trip you might take. You will be embraced by air of such richness, substance and fragrance that it will feel like the silk kiss of a velvet goddess. You will see the ocean glow from beneath as an electric blue-green turquoise before an approaching squall, and you will admit to yourself that the suffering has been worth it, because this is a jewel, a pearl of the highest price. Every geographic location has an oversoul, and you can feel the energy change even from the plane as you fly over the city. The Miami guardian is a capricious queen. She is Chaos personified. She showers you with gifts and bountiful treasure, and can remove it just as swiftly. You serenade her with Salsa and appease her anger by forgiving her subjects, and when the storm passes and she sees that you've weathered her outbursts and stayed with her even through the bad times, she rewards you for your commitment. In the end you see that she depends on you to plant the seed of order and save her from her own nature which is Chaos. It is truly a marriage! Nothing Less!"
i remember coming back from an area out beyond elliot key once and we were passing through caesar creek and the sea was a darkish cloudy green sorta similar to that but darker and cloudier and the sky was purple. it was like being on an alien planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami