Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 03:51 PM

31 posts, read 119,257 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I don't agree. You say you read the paper now more than before when you were younger, so do I. I lived all my life in Miami, Great areas also, Brickell, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, but what you read is only some of the things that happen, just imagine all the things you don't hear about, especially all the unreported things that happen because of illegal immigrants.
Please people, for those of you who think Miami is the same as it was always, don't waste your time thinking about what's going on, just live your day overlooking everything like many do overthere. There is much going on overthere, and if you read these posts the majority are negative. Rudeness, Uneducated people, So much corrupt politicians, things that happen in Miami usually happen in third world countries only. Open your eyes, people.

Miami Mom..., you should get out while you can especially if you have toddlers. I did. There is much upperclass people leaving from Miami as Middle classl people are. All it takes is determination and a desire to see what the Real United States of America is all about not some Third world mentality lifestyle.

I once loved Miami and said I would never move away, 37 years later and 2 children later I moved, and I don't regret it for a minute! No one knows what the future has in store, but in my perspective I could not see any good future for my kids in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
And people accuse me of calling Broward "paradise" just because the crime rate IS similar to the national average? My god, name 5 "good" parts of Dade where you are surrounded by good areas. We have "inner city problems", you have "serious crime issues", although crime is NOTHING like it was in the 80s. I don't exactly feel in danger in many sections of Miami as long as im watching my back. Here, I don't even have to watch my back (but I do anyway).

The crime occurring Palm Beach County actually reminds me of the kind of stuff that was happening in Miami in the 80s (Boynton Beach Mall shootout, innocent people being shot and killed over 40 dollar robberies at City Place by YOUTH, the Dunbar rape...). Palm Beach County almost feels more third world than Dade because that IS a land of haves and have nots. It actually reminds me of Dade in the 80's because it still has that "paradise" feeling, but you can see it slipping away. Never have I seen a place with such stark inequality as Palm Beach County. At least Dade has your working and middle class neighborhood here and there and Broward is dominated by working/middle class. PBC is like just flat out upper middle class to wealthy or very poor (some of the deepest poverty I have ever seen is in West Palm, Lake Worth, Boynton Beach, Belle Glade) with not much in between, often converging right next to each other. The only "middle class" areas there are probably where the retirees live, and a pocket here and there of Boca Raton and Delray Beach.

Anyway, we haven't had a robbery,burglary, theft, auto theft, anything in my neighborhood since I have lived here, and in surrounding neighborhoods an occasional domestic issue has popped up(even a homicide one time, the couple had mental issues), but not much else.People around here are always keeping their guard up though, because they want to keep it the way it is;safe.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-07-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Take it easy everyone. Take a deep breath. Everyone has a right to their opinion even if you don't agree with it. Everyone sees there life and where they live from there shoes, not yours.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 PM

159 posts, read 803,840 times
I feel relatively safe in North Miami, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop locking my doors at night.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Mom View Post
I grew up in Miami in the Pinecrest area (in the 80's when it wasn't called Pinecrest) and never felt particularly unsafe. It always seemed that "bad things" were happening in another part of town. Now with the woman who was raped in the Falls, other incidents in Kendall, etc. it seems like crime is spreading all over. My Mom even had an incident last night at Publix (some unsavory characters that freaked her out a little - and she doesn't freak easily).

Is anyone feeling like crime has taken a turn for the worse lately? I am seriously considering leaving Miami because of it. I have two toddlers and I worry that things are just going to keep getting worse.
Things are even worse in Palm Beach County. If you move you should consider Pembroke Pines or a similar area in Broward. A lot of people make the mistake of moving to Palm Beach County thinking things will be better when they actually end up worse.

In fact it wasn't until like 2004 where things started really going downhill here. Broward and Dade have actually improved; their crime rates have gone down and none of the two counties have any cities on the 25 most dangerous list (though I believe Miami and Pompano Beach are on the top 100).

In Dade I wouldn't feel unsafe in the better parts of Kendall or Aventura but of course there are surrounding cities where I might. Is North Miami Beach really as bad as it's reputation though?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:34 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
miami dade county itself is the 11th or 12th most dangerous, what in the world are you talking about?

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Last edited by blackklight; 08-08-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,304 times
considering pine bluff az is the 3rd i wouldn't say thats a bad thing.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
miami dade county itself is the 11th or 12th most dangerous, what in the world are you talking about?

City Crime Rankings by Population Group
That is by metropolitan area, not county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami