Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:15 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Then how did they shut down the spring breakers in Fort Lauderdale?
I have no clue. Maybe they did not allow large venues on public land like the Beach. To my knowledge someone please correct me if I am wrong, the events that take place during the weekend are all at private establishments, there are not huge outdoor concerts or any one LARGE event which would probably requier city approval. It is just a time of year where many hip hop performers come in to the clubs and many people come down and follow and stay at the hotels etc.. There is NO WAY to stop this. The city just has to do the best job it can in containing the problem which it did a pretty good job at it besides for the last night which was the only night where there was any violence. But the city can not tell a club or hotel to not sell rooms or host a certain event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,909,858 times
Miami Beach can refuse to give permits to venues to have hip hop artists on Memorial Day weekend, that would certainly help

Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
If that were to happen, those hiphoppotamus artists could probably disguise themselves as Industrial acts.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM

193 posts, read 371,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Then how did they shut down the spring breakers in Fort Lauderdale?
Police enforcing no drinking on the streets, early bar closings etc..

Make it no fun and they'll go somewhere else.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 PM

609 posts, read 1,140,056 times
Don't worry, It will be renamed something else and it will migrate to another city.

I just don't understand why my so-called 'brothers' and 'sistas' prefer to live that sh**ty lifestyle. I'd rather be called an oreo/uncle tom/house ni**a, than to sit there and degrade myself and act like it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

They wonder why we are hated/feared by so many. Getting back at 'whitey' and 'f**king da 'po-po' is all they seem to think about....when they weren't even born when all that crap happened.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
why cant they just "shut it down"?

if they cant, then why not provide a REAL miami beach event on memorial day weekend, and just maybe have it dedicated to soldiers perhaps.

sounds reasonable to me.
Reasonable enough, but who will organize it? It has to start somewhere, somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have no clue. Maybe they did not allow large venues on public land like the Beach. To my knowledge someone please correct me if I am wrong, the events that take place during the weekend are all at private establishments, there are not huge outdoor concerts or any one LARGE event which would probably requier city approval. It is just a time of year where many hip hop performers come in to the clubs and many people come down and follow and stay at the hotels etc.. There is NO WAY to stop this. The city just has to do the best job it can in containing the problem which it did a pretty good job at it besides for the last night which was the only night where there was any violence. But the city can not tell a club or hotel to not sell rooms or host a certain event.
Well, if they cracked down on the idiots fighting, groping, acting like total boneheads, maybe just maybe we'd get better results. Here's an idea for you. Invite the NYPD every memorial weekend to South Beach, and you'll get results. These guys are thugs with bagdes themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
Don't worry, It will be renamed something else and it will migrate to another city.

I just don't understand why my so-called 'brothers' and 'sistas' prefer to live that sh**ty lifestyle. I'd rather be called an oreo/uncle tom/house ni**a, than to sit there and degrade myself and act like it's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

They wonder why we are hated/feared by so many. Getting back at 'whitey' and 'f**king da 'po-po' is all they seem to think about....when they weren't even born when all that crap happened.

Well said. I repped you on it.

The problem now lies with what city will want this nonsense to happen to it? People can use money as a positive, but that's bull. By the time, they spend money to clean up the mess, make repairs to whatever is damaged etc, I strongly doubt they do well.

I may be wrong, since they allow it to happen every year. They must make money, hands over fist with hotel rooms, drinks, night clubs etc.

What business owners and residents need to do is come to some sort of agreement (shut businesses down). It's easier to shut it down for two days than it is to expect that crowd to behave. Again, the evil of greed (not money) is what turned South Beach into a crap hole on Memorial Day.

1. Prohibit sales of alcohol in South Beach on Memorial day.

2. Prohibit loitering/cruing down the strip.

3. Noise ordinances. (people have to sleep, right? )

I think there are many ways to curb the madness. They just don't seem to care about it, and would rather make money arresting, towing, and writing citations etc.

Any other city needs to watch out for any promoters/club organizers talking about An Urban Weekend if South Beach decides to do something about it.

However, at this rate these promoters don't have much to worry about. Atlanta took care of its Freaknit/Freaknick issue. South Beach can do the same, but I dont see it happening. Miami leadership is seriously lacking. Sad, sad, sad. (Shaking my head )

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,408,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
Police enforcing no drinking on the streets, early bar closings etc..

Make it no fun and they'll go somewhere else.
There has to be a way to do this that does not involve sucking out the very life essence of what makes South Beach unique. This is one of the few areas in the US outside of Las Vegas that doesn't roll up the carpets at 2am.

Maybe we should look to some of the cities and towns that successfully dealt with invasions of the Hell's Angels and Mongols motorcycle gangs back in the 60's and the 70's. From them, I bet we could find a blueprint of how to deal with this crap.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Getting back at whitey... hahahaha lol

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post

2. Prohibit loitering/cruing down the strip.

3. Noise ordinances. (people have to sleep, right? )
I may be remembering incorrectly and I'm SURE someone will tell me if I am...but I could have sworn I saw a sign on Ocean Drive in South Beach that said something to the affect that you cannot continuously circle the block and cruise the strip. That is not verbatim, of course, and it's been awhile since I went to S. Beach but I thought I saw a sign that said something to that affect.

There are noise ordinances. It takes someone to call up and complain, though.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Assets - Liabilities= net capital loss, time to get rid of Urban weekend .

Income -expenses = net loss of income for individual businesses, time to get rid of Urban weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami