Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times

Advertisements

Great pics FlyMIA! Fellow aviation dork here, bummed that I'm out of town while this came in for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Are they running a direct MIA-FRA with the A380? I didn't realize there was enough call to go to Europe from Miami to run an A380?
Yes! Of course the flight will run Non-stop lufthansa has been flying non-stop daily to Frankfurt for many years now. Germany is Miami's biggest air market from Europe. Not only is there daily non-stop service to Frankfurt with lufthansa they also fly to Dusseldorf, also Air Berlin fly's to Dusseldorf and Berlin. Miami has the second largest amount of European Airlines flying to the Airport after NY JFK of course. It is a very large market. also rumors are Air France A380 will come at some point. And once Virgin Atlantic and British Airways get their A380s expect to see them in MIA since there are already 5 daily (on some days 6) flights between Miami and London on four different airlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Great pics FlyMIA! Fellow aviation dork here, bummed that I'm out of town while this came in for the first time.
Yea thats too bad. But hey it will be flying in and out daily. You have to go see it! What a sight! I seen some parked at LHR and LAX before but never one landing and taxing. Great day in MIA history.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:01 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Are they running a direct MIA-FRA with the A380? I didn't realize there was enough call to go to Europe from Miami to run an A380?
I used to work in the "tourism" industry in Miami...you would be surprised at how many Europeans come to Miami all. year. long. Yes, even in summer. At the airboat place I worked, I'd say it was 70% European, 15% Asian, 10% American from other places and 5% locals.

It's why I've never understood why they insist on Spanish speaking in shops on the beach. The tourists are mostly European who do not speak Spanish...but almost all of them speak English. Heck, one day, I had some French people getting on the boat and they asked if we gave the tour in French. Before I could even answer, a German man said, "I do not speak French. Only German or English!" Letting them know to expect English...which I loved him for that.

French people would ask if we spoke French. They accepted that we did not. Spanish speaking people asked if we spoke Spanish and got mad if we didn't. Tough. My boat is filled with people from all over the world...we spoke English to be "fair" to everyone. Most of them learn it in school. It's impossible to give a tour and translate in to German, French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.

Anyway, yes, there is definitely a market for Europeans and those planes will just bring more...that's a very good thing for Miami.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I used to work in the "tourism" industry in Miami...you would be surprised at how many Europeans come to Miami all. year. long. Yes, even in summer. At the airboat place I worked, I'd say it was 70% European, 15% Asian, 10% American from other places and 5% locals.

It's why I've never understood why they insist on Spanish speaking in shops on the beach. The tourists are mostly European who do not speak Spanish...but almost all of them speak English. Heck, one day, I had some French people getting on the boat and they asked if we gave the tour in French. Before I could even answer, a German man said, "I do not speak French. Only German or English!" Letting them know to expect English...which I loved him for that.

French people would ask if we spoke French. They accepted that we did not. Spanish speaking people asked if we spoke Spanish and got mad if we didn't. Tough. My boat is filled with people from all over the world...we spoke English to be "fair" to everyone. Most of them learn it in school. It's impossible to give a tour and translate in to German, French, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.

Anyway, yes, there is definitely a market for Europeans and those planes will just bring more...that's a very good thing for Miami.
Exactly Europeans are a huge part of Miami's tourism market. Of course South Americans are also. But English is the universal language. Just like how Air Traffic Control all over the world is in English. Obviously every pilot cant learn different languages of the different countries so they just use one.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Saw it fly over today, big even in the air!

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
You know I thought the A380s were a flop and they were going to be phased out? Did something change or did I read wrong? I always thought they were really cool and I'm honestly trying to find a route for my trans-atlantic flight this summer for it to be on an A380.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:03 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
airbus is doing something right. with the A380 they have captured the public's imagination in a way we have not seen in a generation.

the reason it was initially considered a flop and people laughed at it is because in an era of high fuel prices it didnt make sense to build a giant aircraft that wouldnt fit in anyone's airports... but they successfully convinced them to modify their airports to fit it in.

those pictures of people gathering on the tracks to watch it come in and the fire department giving a salute -- they have successfully captured the public's imagination.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
video i found

YouTube - ‪A380 in Miami‬‏

Old 06-12-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
airbus is doing something right. with the A380 they have captured the public's imagination in a way we have not seen in a generation.

the reason it was initially considered a flop and people laughed at it is because in an era of high fuel prices it didnt make sense to build a giant aircraft that wouldnt fit in anyone's airports... but they successfully convinced them to modify their airports to fit it in.

those pictures of people gathering on the tracks to watch it come in and the fire department giving a salute -- they have successfully captured the public's imagination.
The airplane wont be a huge seller like the a 737, A320 777 type thing but so far it has been sucessful and enough will be sold for Airbus to make money off of it, but it is a niche market airplane. Boeings new plane which will eneter service soon will sell many more air frames. But anyway yes of course it captures the public the thing is HUGE! Aviation has not seen something like this since the 747. It is a milestone of aviation history.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM

399 posts, read 728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I just checked on here and found out at 7:50! AHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell me that plane I heard a little bit ago was it!

Is this a daily schedule? I absolutely need a pic of this thing from my balcony.

Here is a link where you can keep track of the A-380 flight:

A-380 flight MIA to FRA

It should show the current day's flight and the next 2 days scheduled. (you might have to register to see that feature, but it is free. If you do register, you get like a month's (maybe more) history of the selected flight.

That link is for the flight leaving Miami, if you want to see the flight arriving from Frankfurt, substitute 463 for the 462 in the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami