Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

mailyn: Boy, it's gonna be hard but I am with you, 100% on keeping your standards. I was told, way too many times, "your standards are too high, you need to lower them".

Really? I just ask for someone who is nice, has a great sense of humor, takes care of himself and works and, I don't know, actually LIKES being around me. That's too high? REALLY?!

I refuse to lower myself just to "get" some guy. A lot of people do this. Sure, at times it seems like you're the only one not in a relationship but how many of those you see who are, actually enjoy the relationship they are in? I'd say under half.

Anyway, bookstores...there's one in Coral Gables...it's been too long since I was there...I THINK it was a Borders...not sure...but I saw a lot of guys in there...were they single? I don't know, I was just trying to get my latest copy of Harry Potter, (shut up, peanut gallery), and get home to read. Checking out guys that night wasn't high on the priority list...but I did a quick look anyway.

You like the theater....hmmm...do you always go with your mom? Do you ever go by yourself? I'm not saying ditch your mom but I have noticed that some times guys won't approach if you are with someone be it your friend, mother, brother, etc.

I don't know if you like to do this at all and I really am not opening this up for a debate from anyone, but I like to go to the range and shoot. You meet TONS of guys there. Sure, a lot of them are idiots but you can find some good guys there, too. Course, it has to be something you actually like doing. And guys love it when you shoot better than they do. (ahem) Well, the ones who are secure in their masculinity, that is.

Have you ever thought of venturing up to Ft. Lauderdale? I know it's not where you live but it's only a half an hour...maybe hang out there at times...see a different group of people?

It's so hard to meet good guys in Miami. It truly is. Yes, they are out there and some of them are actually single...but, finding them...whoo, that is not easy.

I also still say, try meet up dot com....you never know. It's not a dating site...it's a place to meet people who like to do things you do and you go. Maybe you'll meet a future friend who will eventually introduce you to a great guy....something to try, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,521,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
I love books and hang out a lot at Barnes & Nobles (like at least 2 a month)
What bookshelf aisle do you frequent when you are there?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 PM

68 posts, read 149,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The best case is where a couple got together, she moved in with him. He convinced her to get some credit cards and then she used those to help him pay off some of his debt. Then he used her credit to take out two personal loans, one for $10k and one for $14k.

In the end, he booted her, with her being heavily in debt. She goes to court, she gets a few dollars, under $2000, but not not even close to what this relationship cost her

This is EXACTLY what happened to a married cousin of my mom's. Judge said that since they were married there is no way to tell who got the money/loan and who f*** who so my mom's cousin had to either face bankrupt or pay off the huge debt that her poor excuse of a husband ran up on the credit card. Married or not I don't see a difference. Married couples getting divorce fight over money all the time. I think it's the number one cause for divorce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelion View Post
There's an oxymoron in the title....
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
mailyn: Boy, it's gonna be hard but I am with you, 100% on keeping your standards. I was told, way too many times, "your standards are too high, you need to lower them".

Really? I just ask for someone who is nice, has a great sense of humor, takes care of himself and works and, I don't know, actually LIKES being around me. That's too high? REALLY?!

I refuse to lower myself just to "get" some guy. A lot of people do this. Sure, at times it seems like you're the only one not in a relationship but how many of those you see who are, actually enjoy the relationship they are in? I'd say under half.

Anyway, bookstores...there's one in Coral Gables...it's been too long since I was there...I THINK it was a Borders...not sure...but I saw a lot of guys in there...were they single? I don't know, I was just trying to get my latest copy of Harry Potter, (shut up, peanut gallery), and get home to read. Checking out guys that night wasn't high on the priority list...but I did a quick look anyway.

You like the theater....hmmm...do you always go with your mom? Do you ever go by yourself? I'm not saying ditch your mom but I have noticed that some times guys won't approach if you are with someone be it your friend, mother, brother, etc.

I don't know if you like to do this at all and I really am not opening this up for a debate from anyone, but I like to go to the range and shoot. You meet TONS of guys there. Sure, a lot of them are idiots but you can find some good guys there, too. Course, it has to be something you actually like doing. And guys love it when you shoot better than they do. (ahem) Well, the ones who are secure in their masculinity, that is.

Have you ever thought of venturing up to Ft. Lauderdale? I know it's not where you live but it's only a half an hour...maybe hang out there at times...see a different group of people?

It's so hard to meet good guys in Miami. It truly is. Yes, they are out there and some of them are actually single...but, finding them...whoo, that is not easy.

I also still say, try meet up dot com....you never know. It's not a dating site...it's a place to meet people who like to do things you do and you go. Maybe you'll meet a future friend who will eventually introduce you to a great guy....something to try, anyway.
Thank you SO much for all your advice! I am with you in every single point! I refuse to lower my so-called (by many people) high standards. I know I deserve better than a douchebag and if I don't find him I'll be know as the cat/dog lady and be happy with that.

99% of my friends are in relationships (married/dating/living with) guys that are just, er, no. There is no way to describe these idiots but they all did it because they didn't want to be alone. I rather be alone with my pets than put up with that crap. Seriously my best friend's husband doesn't even take her to McDonald's!

The one bookstore I've been to is in Miracle Mile and it's a B&N. Yeah I'm addicted to B&N and Starbucks LOL

Good point on the theater. I always go with my mom since she also loves ballet and opera (she wanted to be a ballerina ever since she was little) but I think I can try to find some stuff that isn't something she would miss not going to. I did go once to the theater with my cousin but usually I take my mom. But I'm going to work on finding something I can go alone. Not a bad idea AT ALL!

I like Ft Lauderdale a lot and honestly I don't think it's far at all. I used to go to Las Olas years back with my friends and it was quite nice. I don't know any of the places there now but I am open to suggestions if anyone can rec some good spots for a girl by herself since none of my friends go out since their stupid significant others don't go out.

What do you shoot? I LOVE guns and weapons in general [antique and modern] of all sorts but just to look at them. I couldn't shoot anything. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
What bookshelf aisle do you frequent when you are there?

I start at the front and work my way to the back.

I LOVE the books about Europe/Asia especially those huge ones with wonderful photos and I've bought SO many in the sales racks at the fron of Barnes & Nobles. Then I also love the children's section and the young adult (sue me lol but children and YA books can be fun )

I also go to the fantasy and the mystery section since those are my favorite books (even in the children and YA aisles I look for fantasy/mystery novels) and I also love the comics/graphic novels/manga section. Read a lot of all those as well.

Oh and I also hit the gaming aisles since I LOVE my Playstation and my Wii. Don't judge me, they are so much fun!

Last edited by mailyn; 06-17-2011 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn View Post
Thank you SO much for all your advice! I am with you in every single point! I refuse to lower my so-called (by many people) high standards. I know I deserve better than a douchebag and if I don't find him I'll be know as the cat/dog lady and be happy with that.

99% of my friends are in relationships (married/dating/living with) guys that are just, er, no. There is no way to describe these idiots but they all did it because they didn't want to be alone. I rather be alone with my pets than put up with that crap. Seriously my best friend's husband doesn't even take her to McDonald's!

The one bookstore I've been to is in Miracle Mile and it's a B&N. Yeah I'm addicted to B&N and Starbucks LOL

I like Ft Lauderdale a lot and honestly I don't think it's far at all. I used to go to Las Olas years back with my friends and it was quite nice. I don't know any of the places there now but I am open to suggestions if anyone can rec some good spots for a girl by herself since none of my friends go out since their stupid significant others don't go out.

What do you shoot? I LOVE guns and weapons in general [antique and modern] of all sorts but just to look at them. I couldn't shoot anything.lol

I have a hand gun, 45, that I shoot. I've also gone and shot with people I've met along the way...not anyone I was interested in but they let me shoot theirs and they shoot mine and you learn a lot about firearms that way. If you love guns and weapons, seriously consider giving it a try. Go take a class at the range, first. Some ranges have weapons you can borrow, "rent" and some of them you have to bring your own. There's an inside range, Aces, (I think it's called), in Doral. I think they have a website, as well. Look that up, see what they offer as far as classes. You will meet some decent guys there. I don't know about Aces per say, but typically at ranges, you meet decent guys. And the more you know about guns, the more impressed they will be with you. That's a guarantee.

Quote:
I start at the front and work my way to the back.

I LOVE the books about Europe/Asia especially those huge ones with wonderful photos and I've bought SO many in the sales racks at the fron of Barnes & Nobles. Then I also love the children's section and the young adult (sue me lol but children and YA books can be fun )

I also go to the fantasy and the mystery section since those are my favorite books (even in the children and YA aisles I look for fantasy/mystery novels) and I also love the comics/graphic novels/manga section. Read a lot of all those as well.

Oh and I also hit the gaming aisles since I LOVE my Playstation and my Wii. Don't judge me, they are so much fun!
Dudette, you're like every guys dream! WTH is wrong with them for not snapping you up by now!? You like manga and comics and play video games? AND you like fantasy books? There is something seriously wrong with the guys in Miami if they don't see you for the gem that you are. I know guys who would be salivating right now reading that. Course, none of them I knew were in Miami.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
All I know is from the experiences of others. I have never had any interest in women personally. Because I expect the world to degrade into a dystopia, it seemed extremely selfish to try and breed. My encouragement is for others to consider the outcomes before initiating a relationship.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
who said anything about breeding? thats another thing that separates us from people here. where we come from not everyone wants kids. personally id rather be taking vacations to exotic destinations and doing fun things for the rest of my life. ive heard guys complain in parts of oregon and washington that they have trouble finding girls who WANT to have kids.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I have a hand gun, 45, that I shoot. I've also gone and shot with people I've met along the way...not anyone I was interested in but they let me shoot theirs and they shoot mine and you learn a lot about firearms that way. If you love guns and weapons, seriously consider giving it a try. Go take a class at the range, first. Some ranges have weapons you can borrow, "rent" and some of them you have to bring your own. There's an inside range, Aces, (I think it's called), in Doral. I think they have a website, as well. Look that up, see what they offer as far as classes. You will meet some decent guys there. I don't know about Aces per say, but typically at ranges, you meet decent guys. And the more you know about guns, the more impressed they will be with you. That's a guarantee.

Dudette, you're like every guys dream! WTH is wrong with them for not snapping you up by now!? You like manga and comics and play video games? AND you like fantasy books? There is something seriously wrong with the guys in Miami if they don't see you for the gem that you are. I know guys who would be salivating right now reading that. Course, none of them I knew were in Miami.

That sounds like fun! So long as I don't have to kill anything it sounds seriously like tons of fun! I never thought about that.

I doubt I'm every guy's dream lol. Most guys I've met think a girl that likes to play video games/read comics is weird. It's like they think I don't like anything else but that. It's so frustrating! Then the ones that learn I like the theater think I must be a snob. Don't even get me started on the guys that find out I like to dance and go to clubs. They think I must be a hoe and all they want is sex. They can't wrap their minds around the fact I'm at the club to dance, not be picked up. It gets to the point where my friends and I would tell these creeps that we were lesbians just so they would let us dance in peace. Unfortunately most of the time they found that even more attractive. Gah!

Can't people be into various different things?? I don't see why it's so hard for guys to comprehend that. It really baffles the mind that they think you are a certain type of girl based on only ONE of the things you like.

You should live down here. At least we could hang out together! One of my closest friends who is a lot like me lives in DC but whenever she comes down or I go up we have such a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
All I know is from the experiences of others. I have never had any interest in women personally. Because I expect the world to degrade into a dystopia, it seemed extremely selfish to try and breed. My encouragement is for others to consider the outcomes before initiating a relationship.
You are like the person that talked about marriage. I NEVER said I was looking for someone to marry or that I wanted to have kids. Not everyone that wants to have a meaningful relationship is looking for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
who said anything about breeding? thats another thing that separates us from people here. where we come from not everyone wants kids. personally id rather be taking vacations to exotic destinations and doing fun things for the rest of my life. ive heard guys complain in parts of oregon and washington that they have trouble finding girls who WANT to have kids.
Amen to that. I love to travel and that's one thing I would want my significant other likes to do. Then again, I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't like to travel.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:51 PM

Mailyn: Those guys are idiots. I also love the theatre, video games, comics, (I LOVE anime...thanks Speed Racer, when I was a kid), and love fantasy books. I also like to shoot weapons. I also like animals. I also like to swim and ski and snowboard and white water raft and want to bunji jump and sky dive. I also like plays. Broadway type plays. I also read a LOT. I also write. I also like to work with electronics because for some reason, it's intuitive...don't ask me how I know what I know, I just know. I can't even explain how I know. I love science. And I used to go out to techno clubs and just dance. The list goes on...and you are right, so many guys just cannot fathom that a girl who likes comics can also like science and one who likes science can also like techno and one who likes techno can also like the theater. They can't grasp that. Not all guys...this is not a guy bashing thread but too many.

It's just like you said, if you like comics, anime, science, electronics...you're a nerd. If you like theater and musicals and Broadway shows, you're a snob. If you like techno, well, you MUST be a drug addled ho bag. (No drugs, thank you!) If you like doing risky, outdoorsy stuff, you're a granola eater.

It always cracks me up when I see ads where they say they want someone well rounded, not one dimensional...but they can't handle it when they encounter it!

Anyway, I just moved from Miami in May. Where the hell were you for the past six years when I was there? It would have been cool as all get out to hang out with you.

Well, if you ever come up to Maine, we will totally hang.

In the meantime, this doesn't solve your guy finding thing...nor mine.

Maybe a good start is at the range. And no, you don't kill anything, you shoot at targets. Now, FL is weird about their targets. You can only shoot at round targets, no silhouettes, which, is stupid because an intruder does not look like a disc, they look like an outline of a body. But, whatever, it's still fun. You WILL meet morons there....but you will also meet some cool people.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Do not feel bad, not even my gay friends can find nice guys!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Mailyn: Those guys are idiots. I also love the theatre, video games, comics, (I LOVE anime...thanks Speed Racer, when I was a kid), and love fantasy books. I also like to shoot weapons. I also like animals. I also like to swim and ski and snowboard and white water raft and want to bunji jump and sky dive. I also like plays. Broadway type plays. I also read a LOT. I also write. I also like to work with electronics because for some reason, it's intuitive...don't ask me how I know what I know, I just know. I can't even explain how I know. I love science. And I used to go out to techno clubs and just dance. The list goes on...and you are right, so many guys just cannot fathom that a girl who likes comics can also like science and one who likes science can also like techno and one who likes techno can also like the theater. They can't grasp that. Not all guys...this is not a guy bashing thread but too many.

It's just like you said, if you like comics, anime, science, electronics...you're a nerd. If you like theater and musicals and Broadway shows, you're a snob. If you like techno, well, you MUST be a drug addled ho bag. (No drugs, thank you!) If you like doing risky, outdoorsy stuff, you're a granola eater.

It always cracks me up when I see ads where they say they want someone well rounded, not one dimensional...but they can't handle it when they encounter it!

Anyway, I just moved from Miami in May. Where the hell were you for the past six years when I was there? It would have been cool as all get out to hang out with you.

Well, if you ever come up to Maine, we will totally hang.

In the meantime, this doesn't solve your guy finding thing...nor mine.

Maybe a good start is at the range. And no, you don't kill anything, you shoot at targets. Now, FL is weird about their targets. You can only shoot at round targets, no silhouettes, which, is stupid because an intruder does not look like a disc, they look like an outline of a body. But, whatever, it's still fun. You WILL meet morons there....but you will also meet some cool people.

Marry me! LOL

I laughed out loud for real at the "granola eating" comment. That's another thing. At a party or wherever I don't know too many people and they offer me food I usually have to ask what it is because I'm a vegetarian and then they look at me like I'm a tree-hugging hippy (there's nothing wrong with those people but I'm just not one). I don't judge people for what they eat. I love my mom more than anything in the world and she eats meat. But people automatically think I'm nuts. One guy I met at a friend's party even told me he couldn't be with a woman that didn't eat meat because it made no sense. WHAT?!?! What about all the people in Europe and Asian countries that are vegetarians since it's way more common in those parts. Are they weird? Guys, I love them but they can be so frustrating.

If I'm ever in Maine I am so calling you up. At least I can have fun with a like-minded woman even if it's out of state.

I am so going to look up the shooting range. I can't believe I can actually shoot weapons without being a cop or something. I'm stupid that way. LOL.

Can I post pictures in this thread? I hope it isn't against forum rules or something. I was bored so I took pics of two of my bookshelves. I built them myself! I am so ridiculously proud of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Do not feel bad, not even my gay friends can find nice guys!
The woes of my gay friends as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami