Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 02:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAHSELLAR View Post
thanks all for your answers. so my new question is why do people want to live on the canals then? I am told these houses are worth more and considered more appealing? and in short would YOU buy a house on a canal or would all the above put you off?
I think, (and I'm merely guessing), that people live on the canal because it looks nicer, as someone mentioned, you don't have neighbors up on your back side because there's a canal there, it CAN keep things a little cooler...not a lot but a little.

You just go in to knowing you don't go swimming in the canal and you don't take your dog for a walk around that canal. It's for looking at, only. (Unless you want to do as cixcell says and canoe in there...which is fine, unless you get too close to a nest, the gator is going to leave you alone...unless some idiot fed it...then all bets are off.)

If you know that the canal has a gator in it and it could access your yard, just be cautious when walking around at night.

It's not as extreme as the Glades where I lived before I moved out of Miami but every single night, when I had to take the dogs out for a walk, I had to go out first and check the area for gators because they DID come in to our yards. (That has a LOT more to do with idiots feeding them or leaving their trash bags outside than it had to do with them going from one place to the other.) So, just use caution and you'll be fine.

I merely stated what I did so that you would know how to live around alligators in FL since you have not been around them before.

Listen, your very first alligator? It will probably scare you. But soon, you'll get to know them and again, leaving them alone, not feeding them, you'll start to be perfectly fine with them...you can see that by the reaction some people have right here in this thread. "It's not a big deal." To them it is not because they are used to alligators. You are not, the first time will cause a bit of anxiety but, again, you'll get used to them.

And really, the chances of you seeing one? Not as often as you would think. You may live your entire life in Miami and not see one....which, I think is far fetched but it is possible.

However, living around a canal...totally doable, nothing wrong with it...just be smart about it. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
far fetched. you have to see a gator at least once in a canal somewhere. only if you completely avoided any and all nature would you never see one.

gators = not a big deal. theyre typically more afraid of you than you are of them. theyre typically looking for something smaller to swallow and youre much too big for that.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM

i might add that my work is on a canal. the smokers hang out next to the canal, take their smoke breaks and watch the gators in it. its not a big deal.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:56 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Beware, before you take a running dive in to your pool as that cute critter may be lurking in the deep end.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
They should start cutting down the gator problem by popularizing gator meat as an alternative to beef.
Gators not a problem? Tell me that when the gator is sitting sunning itself in your backyard and you have kids.

BTW
Gators don't try swallow their prey whole. Threy use the death role in order to dismember and tear large chunks of meat off your frame in order to eat you one piece at a time. The ones that depend on swallowing prey whole after they kill it are the large constrictor snakes such as the Anacondas. If it were up to me I'd declare open hunting season on both. Bring down tha gator population to a more manageable size and exterminate the foreign large constrictor snakes.

Last edited by Radrook; 06-27-2011 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM

rad: its very very tough. you have to beat the hell out of it to make it soft enough to do anything with.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
Well, according to this article alligator tail portion is edible.

Quote:

Is Alligator Meat Good for You?

....Alligator meat is considered to be healthier than domestic chicken, especially when it comes to cholesterol and fat content. The most common alligator meat product sold in stores is the tail section. Alligator tail meat is very similar to veal in texture, but is said to taste like chicken, rabbit, fish or frog's legs. Some also compare the tail meat to the white portions of pork.

There is also a tenderloin portion of alligator meat, located in a tubular section of the tail.

While the tail portion may be considered the best section of alligator meat, there is also some consumer demand for the darker, slightly tougher midsection meat....

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-alligator...od-for-you.htm
Just found out you can even order alligator meat to be delivered to your door online.
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...W_enUS378US378

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
did you hear me? i didnt say it wasnt edible. i said it was tough as hell. and if you dont believe that, eat some yourself.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post

Just found out you can even order alligator meat to be delivered to your door online.
order alligator meat online - Google Search

I know!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
I've had alligator "mcnuggets", alligator sausage, and alligator hamburger with a garlic tapenade. I love it. The gator burgers are light on the digestive system and don't sit like a soggy rock like a normal beef hamburger would. Also, the "mcnuggets" are not ground in any way. They are whole pieces of meat, and they're a little tough, but still very edible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami