Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,256,331 times

Advertisements

can you ever return to the person you were before you moved here?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM

30,183 posts, read 23,594,192 times
I'm slowly getting there. Course, I had to leave for it to start but I'm getting there. Have a lot of decompressing to do. It wasn't entirely Miami, some of it was where I used to work...double whammy.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,400,487 times
Cixcell how would you say your personality has changed since moving to Miami?

Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM

73 posts, read 118,970 times
It was probably this website that changed you, I don't know why I come back. It's pretty miserable here on this forum. Not even when I was unemployed for 6 months and really struggling did I ever feel as miserable and depressing as the bunch that congregate here. I didn't become an angry and jaded guy who blames everything on a city.
Cixcell, in 5 months you've posted over a thousand post that just reinforce how much you hate something - almost always in outlandish and ridiculous ways.

I'm not lying when I literally had to leave my apartment after reading through pages of this website the other day. It's almost like another world. I stepped out and walked around Brickell and realized I wasn't living in Satan's lair. I don't know how people have been posting here for years and still manage to live here with such a terrible attitude.

Anyway, I've lived here for 6 years and i'm still the same person my mother raised.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,916,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeee View Post
It was probably this website that changed you, I don't know why I come back. It's pretty miserable here on this forum. Not even when I was unemployed for 6 months and really struggling did I ever feel as miserable and depressing as the bunch that congregate here. I didn't become an angry and jaded guy who blames everything on a city.
Cixcell, in 5 months you've posted over a thousand post that just reinforce how much you hate something - almost always in outlandish and ridiculous ways.

I'm not lying when I literally had to leave my apartment after reading through pages of this website the other day. It's almost like another world. I stepped out and walked around Brickell and realized I wasn't living in Satan's lair. I don't know how people have been posting here for years and still manage to live here with such a terrible attitude.

Anyway, I've lived here for 6 years and i'm still the same person my mother raised.
I concur with you, criticism is one thing, but outright ridiculous statements is another, I believe it makes a person look ignorant and stupid.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,394,664 times
That's why it's my job to pop up unexpectedly (or expectedly) like Rip Taylor, right in the middle of an angry free-for-all, throwing the confetti of lunacy on the stage!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM

alot harder / meaner
i was very VERY happy go lucky and so laid back to the point i was practically a pushover. i was really never EVER assertive. not at all street smart. typical california egghead IT worker.
both my girlfriend and myself. our bulls--t tolerance level is 0 now. before we were shy, not we're on the offense at all times.
i'm such a different person i consider that former person dead now. both my girlfriend and myself find ourselves increasingly being unable to relate to our parents. we just want them to leave us alone and not bother us.
the first day i started my first job here a coworker came up to me and said why are you always smiling?
about a month later my extremely hippie crunchy liberal girlfriend said 'i'm having thoughts about these people i dont want to have'.

ive noticed a stark change in many people who move here. its become a spectator sport for me where i can actually identify how people change here compared to what part of the country they've transplanted from. midwesterner's usually are the most bitter.

jaydee, youre new here on this site so you really shouldnt even be responding to this thread. i've been on this forum a long time (years0 and i get alot of reps too. there are many people who have come and gone on this site who felt they could move to miami and cut it and turned out the most miserable people ever who originally came to this forum and were very optimistic. none of them heeded the warnings. i actually wouldnt live anywhere else but i am not going to ignore the problems and pretend i'm blind to the problems here. this website didnt change me at all. exposure to the people of miami did and i see it happen over and over and over - to coworkers for example.
again though. there are plenty of good things about miami, its just the people. ive described it before as eating ice cream while standing on hot pavement. the ice cream is delicious but the pavement is agony. but eventually, slowly... you build up callouses on your feet. your feet are hardened and maybe you cant feel with them anymore but you learn to tolerate the burning.

recently talked to a coworker here from the midwest who came from detroit. i asked her which was worse miami or detroit and she said hands down miami.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 AM

i had a coworker in miami beach come from chicago. when i first came on the job he was bright eyed optimistic and happy go lucky. in awe of the blue water offshore. i left the job and worked at another job for awhile and then came back. when i came back his personality was so different he seemed like a different person. he was hardened and angry and bitter and had a sneer anytime you talked to him. he was incredibly racist too and hated the jewish people in miami beach. i dont know what it is about this place but it can really ruin some people.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:42 AM

399 posts, read 716,453 times
The other day I was sitting down outside and said to myself..Miami is a really nice place..thinking about the weather..it was nice and sunny that day. But than I told myself Miami would be nice if there were no people..or at least the people you find here. It almost seems like a waste.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM

73 posts, read 118,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post

jaydee, youre new here on this site so you really shouldnt even be responding to this thread.
Why not? I've lived in Miami for several years, I moved from another part of the country and know this city as much as you if not more. I'm civically involved in this city and know just as much about its setbacks and faults.
You say things like it's a science. It's not. I also moved down with my girlfriend (now my wife). We first lived with family friends who had moved from OKC before us. They're still more excited about Miami than anyone. They're involved in the arts community and are just huge Miami buffs. My best friend made the move two years ago from St. Louis with his girlfriend and is set on staying. My wife and I are still young and recently moved to Brickell from North Miami. I really can't see myself moving out of the city. I know its quirks, but that's just what a lot of it is. I've never felt this anger and hostility you describe.
It sounds more like you've surrounded yourself with the wrong people or your work and living situation is a mess. I'm not talking about hating Miami, because I didn't like St. Louis either and STL has more to hate. But I was never so ridiculous about it.

If you've really been on this website for years, it's more evidence of what I said. I've already been on today more than I should and need to get out of my apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami