Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:59 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
If it is still there, check out Tony's Place in PSN at 17721 N.W. 78 ave, where the old shopping center is. I used to live a block away. It's a great family restaurant.
You mean by where the "Farm Stores" and "Sedanos" used to be?

My friend Mike used to live on 78th ave. too. A little bit north of there. He lived where 181st street intersects with 78th ave you know where that little bridge is and after you cross that bridge going south it was like the 2nd house on the right side and the shopping center was on the left in that direction....It was just a block from that church across the street from the plaza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,325 times
Can you explain to us what you mean by "GHETTO"!!1

Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygal View Post
Can you explain to us what you mean by "GHETTO"!!1

I assume you are reffering to me for saying American High was kind of Ghetto back in tha day....I heard from other people that it still is.....but anyways .....lots of people think its just a racial thing to say something is ghetto.....thats not what im getting at because i had friends/associates from all kinds of racial backgrounds since i was one of the 3 or 4 white/american kids in each of my classes at American highschool, so of coarse i had to get along with everyone and its a normal thing in South Florida to be friends with all sorts of races of people because that is what lives there.....well i say that it was ghetto because i saw "lots" of fights with my own eyes and was in 2 of them myself and i was an "A" /"B" student before i went to highschool there and then i had everything stolen out of my locker the second week i went to school there, and i saw an ambulance there one day because someone got in a fight and was thrown off the second floor.....the trophy cases were broken alot from fights and thats why they put those bars around them to protect from that....and the head security gaurd at the time "Smurf" was his name ...well he would sell cocaine to some of the students......i saw some dude start a fire in some trash cans inside of the school one day .......and there was a riot in the auditorium one day and i walked in and saw a desk thrown at somebody then someone hit somebody else with the podium and punches were flying and books being thrown and the cops came in there and arested some people that day.....then there was another riot at the battle of the bands one day.......and different gangs had different resturants as thier territory at lunch time......some gang spray painted the back of the school and i mean the whole back of it.....take a look at the size of the school and they painted sh##@ from the staircases of one side to the other side....then my friend which happened to be a leader of a gang called JNY brought a gun on campus after someone on the football team started talking sh$#% to him....he was my friend because we all lived in the same neighborhood.....and lots of kids would skip in the back of the mechanic shop and smoke weed back there and the mechanics teacher "Mr. Mitchell" didnt care that we skipped back there as long as we were quite....but i dont know if he knew we were smoking weed and that lots of other kids were smoking weed in there too....well i could go on and on and on but it would be too long so ill stop with that.....This is what i mean when i say ghetto

Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,294 times
I am a past resident of Palm Springs North, which is just north of Miami Lakes. I think both areas are good family areas... actually among the best in the Miami area. Miami Lakes is definitely more expensive.

But, another very important factor is where you are going to work. Even though these communities have great access to the expressways, traffic is bad enough that commute time should be a major part of your decision.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
My family are going to spend Christma at Miami Lakes. Any suggestions regarding good restaurants and the beaches closeby that we could go? Any grocery stores that we could shop?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 PM

367 posts, read 941,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I assume you are reffering to me for saying American High was kind of Ghetto back in tha day....I heard from other people that it still is.....but anyways .....lots of people think its just a racial thing to say something is ghetto.....thats not what im getting at because i had friends/associates from all kinds of racial backgrounds since i was one of the 3 or 4 white/american kids in each of my classes at American highschool, so of coarse i had to get along with everyone and its a normal thing in South Florida to be friends with all sorts of races of people because that is what lives there.....well i say that it was ghetto because i saw "lots" of fights with my own eyes and was in 2 of them myself and i was an "A" /"B" student before i went to highschool there and then i had everything stolen out of my locker the second week i went to school there, and i saw an ambulance there one day because someone got in a fight and was thrown off the second floor.....the trophy cases were broken alot from fights and thats why they put those bars around them to protect from that....and the head security gaurd at the time "Smurf" was his name ...well he would sell cocaine to some of the students......i saw some dude start a fire in some trash cans inside of the school one day .......and there was a riot in the auditorium one day and i walked in and saw a desk thrown at somebody then someone hit somebody else with the podium and punches were flying and books being thrown and the cops came in there and arested some people that day.....then there was another riot at the battle of the bands one day.......and different gangs had different resturants as thier territory at lunch time......some gang spray painted the back of the school and i mean the whole back of it.....take a look at the size of the school and they painted sh##@ from the staircases of one side to the other side....then my friend which happened to be a leader of a gang called JNY brought a gun on campus after someone on the football team started talking sh$#% to him....he was my friend because we all lived in the same neighborhood.....and lots of kids would skip in the back of the mechanic shop and smoke weed back there and the mechanics teacher "Mr. Mitchell" didnt care that we skipped back there as long as we were quite....but i dont know if he knew we were smoking weed and that lots of other kids were smoking weed in there too....well i could go on and on and on but it would be too long so ill stop with that.....This is what i mean when i say ghetto
real talk still is ...video from 09 http://youtu.be/h8CE682omWY

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralei2 View Post
If it is still there, check out Tony's Place in PSN at 17721 N.W. 78 ave, where the old shopping center is. I used to live a block away. It's a great family restaurant.
Tony's Place is still there and still good. Had dinner there about a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I was a teacher at American High for 27 years and was there during the the time you mention. I am regularly in touch with colleagues who are still teaching there. American had/has no more/no less problems than the other high schools in our district. The security guard whom you accuse of selling cocaine is still at the school and would probably be interested in knowing who is accusing him of this crime. Hope you have your ducks in order if/when it comes to providing hard proof for this accusation.

For the OP, I've lived in Miami Lakes for 34 years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Miami-Dade. We moved to ML from PSN (lived there for 10 years) in 1978 because we wanted to live in a planned community that placed heavy emphasis creating a family friendly environment that encouraged outdoor activities. We particularly like ML's commitment to its lush tree canopy.

As for schools, there are two excellent K-8 centers, a middle school and two "neighborhood" high schools, Hialeah-Miami Lakes and Barbara Goleman, of which both have had poor academic rankings in the past decade. Goleman has recently been designated as an Academic Academy, in an effort to attract high achieving students and to build it's rapidly declining student enrollment. Miami Lakes students are not in American High School's feeder pattern.

IMO, one of the best high schools in the north end of the county is Miami Lakes Education Center. A number of my friends are current or former staff members and they have nothing but good things to say about this school. It is where discerning parents send their children, if they send them to a MDCPS high school. It is a School of Choice and students must apply for entrance.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I was a teacher at American High for 27 years and was there during the the time you mention. I am regularly in touch with colleagues who are still teaching there. American had/has no more/no less problems than the other high schools in our district. The security guard whom you accuse of selling cocaine is still at the school and would probably be interested in knowing who is accusing him of this crime. Hope you have your ducks in order if/when it comes to providing hard proof for this accusation.
The post to which you're responding was written over 5 years ago. Moreover, the poster himself hasn't posted anything anywhere on City-Data since Decermber 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
For the OP, I've lived in Miami Lakes for 34 years and wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Miami-Dade. We moved to ML from PSN (lived there for 10 years) in 1978 because we wanted to live in a planned community that placed heavy emphasis creating a family friendly environment that encouraged outdoor activities. We particularly like ML's commitment to its lush tree canopy.
The OP, as with the first poster to whom you addressed a response, has been long gone from these boards.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The post to which you're responding was written over 5 years ago. Moreover, the poster himself hasn't posted anything anywhere on City-Data since Decermber 2007.

The OP, as with the first poster to whom you addressed a response, has been long gone from these boards.
So they are. Need to pay more attention to the dates of posts in threads that appear to be new....

Ah well, my info is current....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami