Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times

Advertisements

I have long loved and appreciated the flora and fauna of Miami and South Florida, but kind of always took it for granted. Now that I'm temporarily living in an extreme climate, I have a new-found appreciation for what is back home.

All of you over there should know you have a very special place around you! The ecosystem of SoFla is an absolute GEM.

What brought this on is I went kayaking through the mangroves of Abu Dhabi yesterday and was taken aback by the lack of ecological diversity. Yeah, I know, this is the Middle East, deserts and all that. Pretty sparse part of the world.

But still, this is an island on the Arabian (Persian) Gulf, so I figured the proximity of the water, even salt water, would have more to show. Nah. At 6 a.m. we saw one fox, some ducks, herons, and a bunch of crabs, which was really cool. No fish - where are the fish? - and the mangroves were small, to be expected here, it's fine, but I just want to remind you all that what you have there in Miami/SoFla is a real treasure. Very, very special, one-of-a-kind in the world.

So I invite all of you to step away from the computer, and go enjoy the amazing place that is your backyard. Go explore your mangroves, waterways, coral reefs (what's left of them), flora & fauna, the Everglades... I loved them before but I REALLY appreciate them now that I am living in a relatively sparse part of the world. SoFla is precious. Can't wait to get back!

PS - I was surprised to learn that Abu Dhabi is a sub-tropic climate, just like SoFla, athough Abu Dhabi is arid sub-tropical. Still, much of the same foliage is growing here - there's a lot of landscaping and greening of the city - bouganvilia, royal poinciana, periwinkle, impatiens, gardenias, etc... Looks just like home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
how are the coral reefs over in abu dhabi?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
how are the coral reefs over in abu dhabi?
In trouble, like coral reefs around the world. According to this recent article in a local paper, 98% of them were killed in 1996-1998 due to rising water temps caused by El Nino. I've heard a rumour that there are also many oil spills in the Gulf, so if that's true, that's not helping, either. I don't think I'll be checking out the coral reefs here as I'm not impressed with the water quality I've seen in the Gulf or the Sea of Oman. Very sad, and unfortunately, not limited to this region. This is a global issue.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
yep. this is true.
i visited the rural philippines last year. i had to wade through hedges of multicolored coral to get into deeper water. i was afraid of scraping my belly on coral. it was intimidating.
completely surreal. i'm broken for snorkeling the keys now.

10 ft wide patch of forest green staghorn coral in calf- deep water. i had to walk around to get to shore. unbelievable.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 PM

163 posts, read 316,422 times
Good post. The south florida mainland and into the keys have incredibly diverse ecosystems. Its a shame seemingly the majority of people who appreciate this are visitors (including myself). The invasive species situation, albeit controversial and perhaps a bit blown out of proportion by the media is fascinating. Native animals accompanied by burmese pythons, ball pythons, african rock pythons, boas, iguanas, tegu, real chameleons...the list goes on......so wild.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Cixcell - sounds amazing. Good thing you got to see it before that disappears, too.

UAE is a fantastic country. It has broken me for many things, but the great outdoors ain't one of them. SoFla is a wonderland of creation.

Eco - Same thing here - I went with a guided tour since this was my first time kayaking Abu Dhabi and I don't know the waters yet. Everyone on the tour was an expat, including the guide. The guide said in his years of doing this, maybe 5 locals have participated in a tour. I have many theories why this is so, but in any case it is unfortunate that both here and there the local populations don't appreciate what they have right under their noses. What's in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/the Keys is truly amazing and yes, especially with the invasive species. That really adds some excitement to the mix, doesn't it! And keep in mind that the Everglades is the only one in the world, none other exists.

So y'all go get out there and play!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

348 posts, read 638,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
I have many theories why this is so, but in any case it is unfortunate that both here and there the local populations don't appreciate what they have right under their noses.
I have friends who grew up in UAE and still live there.....and all they wanna see is hills, MOUNTAINS and GREEN.
Lakes and rivers, pastures and meadows.
One of them is a mountain climber who's scaled some impressive peaks. They're tired of extreme heat, sand and the quasi-barren desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami