Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,264,411 times

Advertisements

coral gables has a massive tree canopy. homestead was scraped clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:51 PM

769 posts, read 1,729,752 times
Tbh, we don't really think about it that much. How do people in Chicago or Boston prepare for winter? I don't know anyone who stockpiles food on June 1st or something in preparation. If we hear that there might be a big storm coming (Cat 1+, tropical storms don't really do much unless you're in an older house and it hits you directly, even then it's survivable) you just buy a couple cans of beans and fill up the car. Some people put up hurricane shutters every season, my parents are lazy so we have them up year-round, except for a few windows. You really don't need to have them up since you will know at least a week before if you have to put them on. One interesting thing that I have seen people do is cut down their trees after a hurricane to collect on insurance. During Wilma half my neighborhood chopped the trees that the city plants in between the driveway and street area, to provide shade and stuff and the City of Hialeah gave them a couple thousand dollars and planted them back.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:42 PM

53 posts, read 93,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
anything new you pretty much wont have to worry about because the building codes are much better than they were when hurricane andrew obliterated homestead.
its kind of an evolution of building materials. every time a hurricane does damage, they change codes or fix what was damaged with something stronger so that each time it happens the damage is less.
its not a full out gamble like living in tornado alley. its a calculated risk. you can plan and build for hurricanes, with tornados youre just screwed. (the wind speeds of tornados are so high that youd basically have to build all houses like war bunkers)
Got that right! Tornadoes scare the crap out of me. It is so upsetting to hear the sirens go off. And more upsetting to sit and stare at your family while you huddle together, hope and pray you dont hear anything coming. Been way too close to too many and had one come right through one of our neighborhoods.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,735,445 times
I too get excited hoping my hurricane proof homes will get tested. Clean up is no problem as I have bobcats, a chipper, dozer and various saws to make it easy. I have no insurance so this is my "insurance". My generator runs continuously after a storm which helps convert storm debris into power for my home. usually I ride it out in Miami at my parents home, then after they were cleaned up and repaired I went home to clean up my mess. If you build a strong home with a concrete roof I see no way a hurricane can blow it away. If you elevate the storm surge is no problem either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami