Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 AM

430 posts, read 1,650,326 times

Advertisements

I mean, if I were to buy a house there, how would I protect myself?

I thought about buying a house out in south beach (money not being an issue)

but than I wonder of course if a hurricane will knock it down, or cause extreme damage to it.

I know Miami hasn't had a big one.....yet.. but i'm sure one will eventually happen

how do residents choose to live there knowing they are in a area targeted for hurricanes? is it as bad as they say?

I hear each year is a toss up, and you never know what you are going to expect, do people seriously just not care about the damage like Katrina it can do to the city?

How does the city protect itself from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,153 times
anything new you pretty much wont have to worry about because the building codes are much better than they were when hurricane andrew obliterated homestead.
its kind of an evolution of building materials. every time a hurricane does damage, they change codes or fix what was damaged with something stronger so that each time it happens the damage is less.
its not a full out gamble like living in tornado alley. its a calculated risk. you can plan and build for hurricanes, with tornados youre just screwed. (the wind speeds of tornados are so high that youd basically have to build all houses like war bunkers)

Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
I agree. If you live in tornado ally, you can't really do anything because an F5 will blow a house away, off the foundation if it is a bad one. Look at poor Joplin, MO. You can design and prepare a home for a hurricane...a tornado, not so much. So I guess people aren't scared or worried about it that much. Plus, most important buildings and homes are made out of concrete here...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM

430 posts, read 1,650,326 times
I'd really like Miami, but to live there I mean , this coming from a person that doesn't live there yet. What do you do each year for hurricane season?

Is hurricane season just july and august mostly?

I just wouldn't want to move there, buy a very nice house, and than something like this happens

Old 07-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I just wouldn't want to move there, buy a very nice house, and than something like this happens

thats alot of wood and thats exactly what the problem was.

everything you see there plus an orca is now embedded in that hill that is the south dade landfill. (mt trashmore)

everything is concrete now

you can only andrew or katrina a place once.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

330 posts, read 599,008 times
Many new homes are built to withstand a hurricane. But you will need a lot of food and water to be kept on hand (supplies) in case one comes. You will also need insurance. I highly recomend a gun or more than one, for any looters. Other than that life is normal, have a good time in south beach. Also keep in mind, that hurricanes go up and down the coast, so while there could be a hurricane in florida the chances of it striking south beach are a bit smaller.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
How do people in Miami deal with Hurricane season?
People like me get excited. My home is built pre-Andrew, so every hurricane season we have a chance at the big one. I have always wanted to see the downfall of my neighborhood ever since I realized I hate Miami, so yea.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I mean, if I were to buy a house there, how would I protect myself?
Insurance, hurricane shutters.
I thought about buying a house out in south beach (money not being an issue)

but than I wonder of course if a hurricane will knock it down, or cause extreme damage to it.
It is possible but not likely.
I know Miami hasn't had a big one.....yet.. but i'm sure one will eventually happen
It did in 1926 and it was hit by a big one only 30miles south in 1992
how do residents choose to live there knowing they are in a area targeted for hurricanes? is it as bad as they say?
How do people live in LA or San Francisco, how do people live in Saint Louis or Dallas knowing Tornadoes can go there. How do people live in Chicago knowing there could be a massive blizzard or flood, or tornado one day. How do people live near Yellowstone knowing there could be a massive volcano any day or Honolulu with Tsunamis or anywhere from Florida to Massachusetts with Hurricanes. Natural disasters happen everywhere. It is not as bad as people think and hurricanes are not that bad either. They are not very deadly only what about 44 people died in hurricane Andrew. What kills in hurricanes are areas which are prone to Flooding like New Orleans, people who do not evacuate from Flood zones, like New Orleans and cities which are really not prepared for a storm like New Orleans.
I hear each year is a toss up, and you never know what you are going to expect, do people seriously just not care about the damage like Katrina it can do to the city?
If Katrina hit Miami it would have been news for 3 weeks and about it. Katrina was not a very powerful storm when it hit. What did the damage was the floods because the levees broke and New Orleans is in the worst possible location for floods. Miami does not flood like that.
How does the city protect itself from this?
It has strong building codes, good evacuation routes etc.. Just like any other city would. I rather have hurricanes then earthquakes or F5 tornadoes.
We never know how many hurricanes we will get or how many will even hit the US. Some of the most active hurricane seasons in history have be some of the least damaging because it all depends where they hit. The majority of storms which poise a threat to the US go out to sea. Of course Miami can get hit by a Category 5 storm one day and in the next 50-100 years it probably will. But at the same time many other places might too. Also there will be a lot more not so strong storms and even more misses then direct hits. You cant worry about these things just have to buy insurance and if a "big one" comes our way evacuate if you live in an evacuation zone.

Last edited by FlyMIA; 07-18-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM

149 posts, read 259,958 times
Hurricane Season to me here in Miami reminds me of growing up in Charlotte - where the slightest indication that a drop of snow might be coming sent everyone to the grocery store to stock up on milk and bread - it was like you were required to show up at the Harris Teeter lol. People do that here too lol -

I went through Wilma and a number of other storms here.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
People like me get excited. My home is built pre-Andrew, so every hurricane season we have a chance at the big one. I have always wanted to see the downfall of my neighborhood ever since I realized I hate Miami, so yea.
thats twisted dude. why would wish harm on people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami