Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Questions about Miami area, Miami economy, marketing jobs, living expenses and cost of living, common house spiders, tourism, trade and banking jobs, avoiding debt, downtown apartments

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM

84 posts, read 556,162 times

Advertisements

Bale, quick question.

I never really realized Fort Lauderdale was in the same vacinity as Miami. What about there as far as jobs and rent go? Are things more reasonable there? Could I get by on 35k there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:22 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rode View Post
I never really realized Fort Lauderdale was in the same vacinity as Miami. What about there as far as jobs and rent go? Are things more reasonable there? Could I get by on 35k there?
Ft. Lauderdale isn't much cheaper than Miami. As far as living comfortably on 35k in South Florida not on your own , get a roommate or two is all I can suggest. This way you can split the rent, electric, etc with someone.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:51 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Doggiebus is right, the cost of living is about the same from Miami to West Palm Beach, maybe about 10% less, on average, as you go north.

The advantage about Fort Lauderdale is that you may have a few more job opportunities than in Miami, but then again maybe not. Also, in the opinion of many, but not all, the quality of life in Broward County and some parts of Palm Beach County is better than in Miami-Dade County.

What are your priorities, what are you trying to achieve?

If you want to gain a bit of experience and have fun in the sun, but saving doesn't matter much, then give it a shot, with a roommate, without a roommate, whatever, you are young and experience is always worth something. Southeastern Florida does offer a pleasant quality of life if you can find a decent place to live in a decent neighborhood at a reasonable, or unreasonable, price.

On the other hand, unless you land an excellent job offer (high pay, medical benefits) in southeastern Florida, or elsewhere in the Sunshine State - not impossible but statistically more difficult than in other major metropolitan areas - if you want to start building a serious career and save money, then, again, statistically you will have better chances in a city like Atlanta, Houston or maybe Chicago (expensive, but maybe deeper job market).

Start sending out resumes, knocking on doors, doing interviews, and see how the dice come up.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 PM

It would probably be to just experience Miami for a few years and get some experience, but who knows, it would depend on promotions and pay raises.

I know you guys said that 35k isn't much in Miami, and I completely agree with you, but I was bumming around on Yahoo! Real Estate and found this on Miami Beach: Apartment Model At A Glance Page

What about something like that? Is that a good idea, living on Miami Beach? I would think that with 30-35k I could afford $700-$850 a month, I mean, I don't think I'd have a problem with budgeting money.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM

67 posts, read 275,156 times
I just moved to South Florida from Philadelphia. I am in Delray Beach, which is about an hour north of Miami. I am still close to Ft Lauderdale and Miami, so there is plenty of stuff to do as far as bars and restaurants. I moved for a job in medical sales. I am renting a 1BR/1BA furnished condo which costs me $1100 per month. My place is in a gated community and I have a washer/dryer in my unit (this was a must for me).

I would recommend checking out craigslist.com for listings of apartments/condos to rent. I was able to set up appointments to see places that were listed on that site.

I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend on rent, but keep in mind that florida does not have a state income tax. This might give you more money in your budget.

As for sports, there are probably opportunities in baseball...as spring training and minor league facilities are prevalent throughout the state. You also may want to look into the college athletic programs, especially football and baseball. There are lots of large D1 colleges in florida.

I'll actually be in Green Bay to see the Eagles play on opening weekend of the NFL season. My buddies and I are staying in Milwaukee for a night and then driving to GB on Saturday. Can you recommend any good bars for straight single guys in their late 20's?

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any other questions...I may be able to help as I just moved down here myself. Best of luck with your search.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 AM

I'd definitely say try to get to Brett Favre's Steakhouse while you're in Green Bay. I've never been there, but I've heard nothing but the best.

From what I understand, the Hinterland Brewery and Restaurant is really popular in Green Bay. They have live jazz on Thursday nights and it's definitely a popular bar for the young, urbane Green Bay crowd.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
It would probably be to just experience Miami for a few years and get some experience ... ... on Yahoo! Real Estate and found this on Miami Beach ... ... Is that a good idea, living on Miami Beach? I would think that with 30-35k I could afford $700-$850 a month, I mean, I don't think I'd have a problem with budgeting money.
Don't know about that particular apartment building, maybe someone else can help. Do a forum search on Miami Beach for comments on particular neighborhoods and commutes from there to the mainland.

Generally speaking, if the objective is to "experience" Miami (I take that as "fun in the sun"), then why not, you are young, go for it if you find a job. Miami Beach is fine if you find the job in downtown/Brickell, but anything further than that sets you up for a commute, which is no picnic, unless perhaps you are on the Metrorail line.

The problem with budgeting is that you may run into unexpected expenses, like medical if your employer does not provide decent health insurance benefits, if at all. If you live on Miami Beach and work downtown/Brickell, you may not even need a car, avoiding some major fixed costs (car insurance, though as of October not mandatory, can be a major expense in southeastern Florida), including potentially unexpected repairs, though savings there may be somewhat offset by higher food costs. But analyze this point carefully if the time comes: not having a car also poses some major disadvantages.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
It would probably be to just experience Miami for a few years and get some experience, but who knows, it would depend on promotions and pay raises.

I know you guys said that 35k isn't much in Miami, and I completely agree with you, but I was bumming around on Yahoo! Real Estate and found this on Miami Beach: Apartment Model At A Glance Page

What about something like that? Is that a good idea, living on Miami Beach? I would think that with 30-35k I could afford $700-$850 a month, I mean, I don't think I'd have a problem with budgeting money.
Miami Beach is a good place for a young single person to live. This way you are close to the hottest bars, restaurants, and clubs. As far as rent today I am not sure what it is going at. A friend of mine used to live on South Beach like 7 years ago and was paying 1000 a month then for a one bedroom, one bath, with kitchen and living room, and that was in 2000 in an older highrise, nicely kept up. She did get a parking spot included. So be aware of this, not all apartments come with a parking spot (not sure if you will have a car or not). Parking on Miami Beach is an issue and you may need to purchase a parking permit from the city (too park on the street as Miami Beach tows like crazy) if you will not get a parking spot with the apartment. So make sure to factor that into your budget.

But remember to not spend your entire budget on rent you need to have spending money to enjoy Miami.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:56 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
In response to your Tampa questions, it is a great alternative to Miami. I live in S. Tampa/Hyde Park. I want to move, but that's just personal issues. Just remember, if you are young and single the only place in Tampa to live is S. Tampa, particulary Hyde Park (though DownTown is up and coming).

Old 08-13-2007, 09:47 AM

396 posts, read 399,629 times
Quote:
I'm from Wisconsin, I'll be graduating college in the next year or so, therefore, I am trying to obtain some information on cities which I might be interested in moving to. I definitely think I want to get out of Wisconsin, so my main choices are Chicago (to stay fairly close to home), Denver or now recently, I've been thinking about Miami.

My first question is, what is economy like in Miami? I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the Miami area?

Second, what do fairly nice studio apartments run for in the downtown area? I'm not looking for luxury, but I'm not looking for something old and run down either. I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $30-$35k a year. I realize that is not much at all for a big city, but could one live fairly decently on that salary in Miami? I apologize if I'm being naive and it's not realistic to think I could live there on that salary, but I don't mean to be, I just simply do not know about living expenses in Miami.

My last question is, like many people that move to Florida, about bugs. I can handle most bugs. Mosquitos don't bother me, ants I can deal with and keep under control, I've never dealt with roaches, so I'm not sure about them, although I imagine I wouldn't like them much. My main concern is spiders. I realize Florida is a great place for spiders. Here, we get small ones in the house every once and awhile, nothing big, but their presence in my house is not something I enjoy. I have no problems with spiders if they stay outside, in their natural habitat, but once they come into my house, I can't stand them and I freak out a bit. What I'm getting to here is, are spiders common in homes down in Florida? Would I be safe in a fairly tall apartment complex?

Thanks for the help!
Denver. Screw Chicago because it's just like Miami and visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami