Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Questions about Miami area, Miami economy, marketing jobs, living expenses and cost of living, common house spiders, tourism, trade and banking jobs, avoiding debt, downtown apartments

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:00 PM

84 posts, read 556,026 times

Advertisements

I'm from Wisconsin, I'll be graduating college in the next year or so, therefore, I am trying to obtain some information on cities which I might be interested in moving to. I definitely think I want to get out of Wisconsin, so my main choices are Chicago (to stay fairly close to home), Denver or now recently, I've been thinking about Miami.

My first question is, what is economy like in Miami? I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the Miami area?

Second, what do fairly nice studio apartments run for in the downtown area? I'm not looking for luxury, but I'm not looking for something old and run down either. I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $30-$35k a year. I realize that is not much at all for a big city, but could one live fairly decently on that salary in Miami? I apologize if I'm being naive and it's not realistic to think I could live there on that salary, but I don't mean to be, I just simply do not know about living expenses in Miami.

My last question is, like many people that move to Florida, about bugs. I can handle most bugs. Mosquitos don't bother me, ants I can deal with and keep under control, I've never dealt with roaches, so I'm not sure about them, although I imagine I wouldn't like them much. My main concern is spiders. I realize Florida is a great place for spiders. Here, we get small ones in the house every once and awhile, nothing big, but their presence in my house is not something I enjoy. I have no problems with spiders if they stay outside, in their natural habitat, but once they come into my house, I can't stand them and I freak out a bit. What I'm getting to here is, are spiders common in homes down in Florida? Would I be safe in a fairly tall apartment complex?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 03:00 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
Tourism is a major player in our economy. Miami Beach is completely different than Miami. Major Latin America influences in Miami. There seems to be a greater disproportion of the haves & have nots within the area as a whole. Downtown Miami needs help in getting a revitalization going. It's been limping along for decades. Many opportunities within the healthcare field. Regarding living standards, $35,000 would have been great in 1990....today it is doable, but difficult. I think Denver would be financially a better choice. However, you are young, so come and enjoy South Florida.

Now about crawly things....Spiders are common, but only ones I've seen are just little lightweight ones. They are friendly. Now, roaches are another thing....every now any then you'll probably get a cockroach, they are big, brown, and disgusting. Lizards are also common (small brown ones and geckos), they eat the bugs, . They are friendly and no problem, so don't kill them. The bright green "Cuban lizards" have attitude, are about a foot long, leave them alone.

Hope this helped. Good luck in your search.

Laura

Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rode View Post
My first question is, what is economy like in Miami? I'm majoring in Marketing, is there lots of opportunity for that kind of field down in the Miami area?
In short, tourism, trade, banking, real estate, law, insurance, and marketing, with both a domestic and a large international, mostly Latin American, focus.
Miami hosts the Latin American, and in some cases Hispanic US, marketing headquarters of top and lesser multinationals, it hosts diplomatic and trade missions, and many foreign banks specializing in private wealth management and trade.

Your marketing degree may be enough to land some kind of employment, but your chances increase significantly if you are fluent in Spanish.

In addition to downtown/Brickell, you may also consider Coral Gables. In fact, I advise you not to neglect Coral Gables in your search for both job and housing.

Quote:
Second, what do fairly nice studio apartments run for in the downtown area? I'm not looking for luxury, but I'm not looking for something old and run down either.
A studio in the downtown/Brickell area begins at around $1200 a month, in Coral Gables around $900.

Quote:
I hope (I say hope, because I really don't know, as salaries vary) to be making $30-$35k a year. I realize that is not much at all for a big city, but could one live fairly decently on that salary in Miami? I apologize if I'm being naive.
You are being naive. On $30-35k a year you might be able to squeak by if you economize carefully. If whatever employment you land does not cover health insurance, if you run into medical costs you will most likely go into debt.
Without Spanish, and political skills in a Latin-type culture, your career advancement possibilities are lower than what they would otherwise be; in fact, without Spanish, you may not even land a job you would actually want, or at least you will be turned away from many opportunities.

If you were really determined to make a long-term commitment to Miami, at great sacrifice, while you are working you could try to earn a masters degree in one of the fields listed above, with a strong international (Latin American) component, while also becoming fluent in all phases of Spanish, possibly also Portuguese.

Short of that, you could come to Miami for a couple of years, squeak by financially, avoiding debt if no unexpected expenses, gain some experience, and have some fun.

Don't worry too much about insects and spiders in the downtown/Brickell or Coral Gables areas. The worst that is most likely to happen is that you live in a roach-infested building.

Without Spanish, relatively close alternatives to Miami you may consider are Atlanta and Houston.

Good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-10-2007 at 03:17 PM..

Old 08-10-2007, 03:56 PM

159 posts, read 803,704 times
Some of you guys exaggerate a lot on the whole Spanish thing.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info.

I apologize for being naive, but I really did not know how much apartments went for in the Miami area. So, 35k a year would be tough to get by on, may I ask then, what would one need to make per year to live a decent lifestyle in Miami?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I apologize for being naive, but I really did not know how much apartments went for in the Miami area. So, 35k a year would be tough to get by on, may I ask then, what would one need to make per year to live a decent lifestyle in Miami?
Well, what is "decent"?

If you plan to buy real estate at current prices, let's say $100k and up. If you plan to rent, let's say around $60k for single person.

But, again, it all depends on what you mean by "decent", your spending habits, and, I would say, whether your employer offers decent health insurance.

It is no exaggeration, in fact it is mathematically well balanced to say to that your opportunities are greater if you are fluent in Spanish that they are if you do not know Spanish.

Seriously, if you were considering Miami only because of the weather, as substitutes try Houston or Atlanta, the closest approximations in the southeast US but with lower cost of living than Miami and possibly even more opportunities, depending on your specialization.

You probably can't go wrong with Chicago either, at least as far as opportunities are concerned. Can't tell you anything about Denver.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Well, what is "decent"?

If you plan to buy real estate at current prices, let's say $100k and up. If you plan to rent, let's say around $60k for single person.

But, again, it all depends on what you mean by "decent", your spending habits, and, I would say, whether your employer offers decent health insurance.

It is no exaggeration, in fact it is mathematically well balanced to say to that your opportunities are greater if you are fluent in Spanish that they are if you do not know Spanish.

Seriously, if you were considering Miami only because of the weather, as substitutes try Houston or Atlanta, the closest approximations in the southeast US but with lower cost of living than Miami and possibly even more opportunities, depending on your specialization.

You probably can't go wrong with Chicago either, at least as far as opportunities are concerned. Can't tell you anything about Denver.

Good luck!
Thanks, your posts are quite helpful. I really came here not knowing anything about Miami.

Anything you can tell me about Jacksonville or Tampa? Are those decent alternatives to Miami or pretty much the same?

I've been in Jacksonville and Tampa for a very short period, but really know nothing about them.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks, your posts are quite helpful. I really came here not knowing anything about Miami.

Anything you can tell me about Jacksonville or Tampa? Are those decent alternatives to Miami ... ?
Yes, Jacksonville and Tampa are also major job markets in Florida, as well as Orlando, and housing costs are roughly 1/3 less than Miami. As for specific industries and job opportunities, I would suggest posting your query to the respective sub-forums.

It may be helpful if you also mention any specific experience or specialization that you may have in marketing, as well as any other special skills or experiences.

I wish you the best!

Last edited by bale002; 08-11-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Jacksonville and Tampa are also major job markets in Florida, also Orlando, and housing costs are roughly 1/3 less than Miami. As for specific industries and job opportunities, I would suggest posting your query to the respective sub-forums.

It may be helpful if you also mention any specific experience or specialization that you may have in marketing.
I currently have no specific experience in marketing, but I am looking to get into sports marketing and have a brief experience working as an intern for a small, but growing website here in Wisconsin that covers high school sports in the state.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I currently have no specific experience in marketing, but I am looking to get into sports marketing and have a brief experience working as an intern for a small, but growing website here in Wisconsin that covers high school sports in the state.
Well at this point you're out of my league, I haven't followed sports in about twenty years. Not much more I can tell except apply for a job with the Dolphins, Marlins or Heat (or any other major sports teams that may be in the area) and pose your query and information on the Tampa and Jacksonville sub-forums.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami