Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Well Miami is not second world either as that is deemed a communist form of government and Miami still has a middle-class maybe not as substantial as pre-Hurricane Andrew and with the loss of federal jobs loss hasn't help the situation either but still is in tact.

Second world ... WTF ??

Now we are making things up .... you are either a first world country such as Canada The U.S , The UK .. the UE countries .. Japan , Korea , Singapore , Australia , or New Zealand ... the rest ( Third World ) ... call them in the politically correct sense if you will .... emerging or developing countries , etc , etc ... but they are Third World and that includes Brazil where I am this week on business ( Sao Paulo ) .... also and I know we agree here as much Miami bashing as their is on this forum ... Miami is not a "Third World " city .... but I see where it can be heading that way if changes are not enacted in the next few years or so .

Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,075,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Rock

When peasants from towns in the Pyrinees or Deep Catalonia arrive in Barcelona, they react the same way. They complain about the atrocious and barbaric traffic, shi.t.ty costumer service and they also complain for the fact that customer service always speaks Spanish.

I guess that most of those people complaining are "peasants", or just the American equivalent, people used to live in big semi-deserted suburban sprawls in "casa del carajo".
I would agree with your "in-depth" analysis ... but many of the people that I know who make the above gripes are educated second and third generation Hispanics and / or wealthy and educated South Americans or Mexicans who own upscale property in Miami and like to vacation and go on shopping sprees to Dadeland or up north to the Saw Grass .. nope it is not just white non-Hispanics who make these statements ... my wifes brothers are second generation Cuban Americans who live in Atlanta and Tampa respectively and do not care for Miami for many of the same reasons non-Hispanic whites do not . I do not know what "Casa del Carajo " means or if it is relevant to the post ?

Old 08-08-2011, 12:56 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Second world ... WTF ??

Now we are making things up .... you are either a first world country such as Canada The U.S , The UK .. the UE countries .. Japan , Korea , Singapore , Australia , or New Zealand ... the rest ( Third World ) ... call them in the politically correct sense if you will .... emerging or developing countries , etc , etc ... but they are Third World and that includes Brazil where I am this week on business ( Sao Paulo ) .... also and I know we agree here as much Miami bashing as their is on this forum ... Miami is not a "Third World " city .... but I see where it can be heading that way if changes are not enacted in the next few years or so .
No there is such a thing as Second-World(former eastern bloc countries part of the U.S,S.R). and Miami is not that,the point being if you read latter posts where Tallrick said we were not a Third World City yet but no longer a First-World city then where does that put Miami because it definitely can't be a Second world City.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
The term "3rd world" keeps coming up in this forum. It's clear that nobody knows what this term means. Here is a list of Third World countries (source):

Miami is not a Third World country and it does not resemble one in any way, not even as a joke. Miami resembles Brazil or Mexico more and more. That's a bad thing. It's depressing. But it's a whole different ball of wax, folks.

Miami DOES NOT and NEVER WILL resemble Afghanistan or Ethiopia.
OK, third world does NOT describe Miami. How about 'Banana Republic'?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
its only banana republic when you start bringing the tyrannical homeowners associations into the picture.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Banana republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-08-2011, 01:19 PM

I think the key word is country when we are speaking of Third world or Banana Republic because obviously the Federal and State Governments oversee the city governments and if the United States remains a First-World so will its city states.

I think people use the word "like" quite often which is a simile. Miami is like a Third World Country is different than Miami is a Third World Country.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post

"dependent upon limited primary productions (e.g. bananas),"

there are banana groves down the street.

"ruled by a small, self-elected, wealthy, corrupt politico-economic plutocracy or oligarchy"

the management companies hired by the developers that control the homeowners associations against the will of the remaining homeowners.

" . . . a money class fleeces the banking system, while the very trunk of the national tree is permitted to rot and crash. . . .
—Christopher Hitchens"

that sounds like our whole country.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:44 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Also, whoever came up with the "First World", "Second World", and "Third World", classifications was a moron. Seriously, using "Second World" to describe communist countries!? That's like saying "smallest, smaller, small, large, ORANGE, largest"! What kind of McCarthyist loon came up with THAT classification system!?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Quote:
That's better, although that term typically referred to the lesser Latin American countries like Honduras. Miami resembles the more successful Latin countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
the rest ( Third World ) ... call them in the politically correct sense if you will .... emerging or developing countries , etc , etc ... but they are Third World and that includes Brazil
Brazil is like Sierra Leone? Not even close, pal.

You all make a good point that Cold War terminology is outdated, so let's go with this definition of a Third World country: A country that nobody in their right mind chooses to live in.

A lot of First Worlders choose to live in Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Miami, etc. and it will always be this way.

Last edited by roadtrip75; 08-08-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami