Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,805 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am thinking about moving to florida next year i want to go to photography school down there, and i've heard its one of the top 5 places to raise a family. Weather would not bother me. I love all kinds of weather i can learn to cope in my own way (lots of swimming!) i have some skin issues i think the weather down there would help with. my questions are;

hows the job market down there? my husband can work doing pretty much anything he has background in computers, degree in car mechanics, car sales, tile installation, i can go on forever.

whats rent like for a 1,000sqf - 1,200sqf 2 or 3 bd? I dont need a palace but refuse to live in the projects.

I have to have child friendly cheap options. We LOVE nature, fishing, camping, bike riding,hiking, adventure. my son wants to do boy scouts next year.

different cultures dont bother me in fact i enjoy it, so is it just the people who cant stand different cultures that have an issue, or is it just plain trashy down there?

can someone point me to a good realestate website/rental website for the miami / surounding area? I dont have to live on the beach but would like to be within 30minutes of the beach

Also Is it DOG friendly down there? I have a lab/mutt

Last edited by jccp4; 08-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Do yourself a favor and do a search on this forum alone for the questions you have, they've probably been asked/answered a hundred times over.

I don't know where you read that it's one of the top 5 places to raise a family - I can't imagine that, or the source. It sure isn't on the Forbes Top 10 for 2011, and I couldn't find any reputable list that says it is. Quite the contrary is what I found

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/08/05/10-worst-places-to-live/ See #9

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/top100/ Miami didn't even make the
top 100

http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/05/best-and-worst-job-markets-business-beltway-jobs_slide_17.html ranked 45 for Miami for the worst job market

As for your DH and the job market, good luck to him. Many people are multi-skilled and they still aren't finding jobs.

Check Craigslist to give yourself an idea about rents once you've researched different areas you think sound like a place you may want to live. Miami is a big city and very large, so you'll have to do your homework and figure out, and whittle it down to a few areas. Come back on this forum, do a search for said areas. Again, the questions probably have been asked and answered numerous times.

Child friendly cheap options? Public school is about the only "cheap" you're going to find. And your definition of cheap may be a far cry from someone elses. Again, HOMEWORK. Find the area you want to live in - then look at the daycare, or whatever type of "child friendly" options you may be looking for and either check out the daycares or schools available in that area and see how they fare.

RE websites - again, check Craigslist - numerous realtors post their listings on there, I'm sure you can find someone on there. You need to find someone who knows the area you want to live in that's knowledgeable about the area(s) you've narrowed it down to.

Homework pays off in the long run - it can keep you from making a BIG mistake.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
where are you from?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccp4 View Post
different cultures dont bother me in fact i enjoy it, so is it just the people who cant stand different cultures that have an issue, or is it just plain trashy down there?
Most of Miami from Homestead to Hollywood is severely lacking diversity. The neighborhoods are entirely Latino or entirely black. The exception is the areas near the water, which have a diverse mix of people (white, Latino, black, retirees, gays, Jewish), but those areas are expensive.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Most of Miami from Homestead to Hollywood is severely lacking diversity. The neighborhoods are entirely Latino or entirely black. The exception is the areas near the water, which have a diverse mix of people (white, Latino, black, retirees, gays, Jewish), but those areas are expensive.
true

Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
You nailed that one right on the head. Given the facts, you have a 2 out of 3 chance of living next to someone that's Hispanic in MDC. What's rare is finding someone like myself that is white and Non-Hispanic, you've only got a 15% chance of finding someone like me in the mix (even more rare, I was born and raised in Miami!) Whoops - forgot, you won't find even me there - I've moved!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jccp4 View Post
Hello everyone. I am thinking about moving to florida next year i want to go to photography school down there, and i've heard its one of the top 5 places to raise a family. Weather would not bother me. I love all kinds of weather i can learn to cope in my own way (lots of swimming!) i have some skin issues i think the weather down there would help with. my questions are;

hows the job market down there? my husband can work doing pretty much anything he has background in computers, degree in car mechanics, car sales, tile installation, i can go on forever.

whats rent like for a 1,000sqf - 1,200sqf 2 or 3 bd? I dont need a palace but refuse to live in the projects.

I have to have child friendly cheap options. We LOVE nature, fishing, camping, bike riding,hiking, adventure. my son wants to do boy scouts next year.

can someone point me to a good realestate website/rental website for the miami / surounding area? I dont have to live on the beach but would like to be within 30minutes of the beach

Also Is it DOG friendly down there? I have a lab/mutt
Have you ever been to Miami??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami