Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Miami feels a lot more European than most parts of the US, with the exception of places like New York and Boston. Miami Beach is basically a nicer version of Benidorm (Spain), minus the drunk-arse Brits, Dutch and Germans puking all over the place and starting fights over football. Cuban culture has strong Spanish roots. Many enlightened Europeans would like it here as it is not like the rest of Florida, which is very southern and not so much of a melting pot.

Yes, it is tough to make friends. I lived in Denmark for a year and it was the same there. As a foreigner, the onus is on YOU to make the effort. Now I have 3 amazing and very intelligent friends here, but I had to put in the effort to make those friends, just as I did in Denmark.

My only criticism of Miami is that I WISH it had a good public transportation system. I'd love to take a train to the beach or just to work. They seem to be expanding the Metro though, which is a good thing. And OMG, the skyline is nuts. I've taken many photos and I'll share them with you all when I get around to uploading them.
I am so happy you're in this forum. You basically echo my sentiments on Miami. I live in the NYC area and work in Manhattan. I have been to just about every major city in the U.S. from Anchorage, AK to Boston, MA. I always come away thinking Miami has A LOT going for it, but yes it needs some work in areas like transportation and job opportunities. Post the pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:35 PM

140 posts, read 269,007 times
OP,

You're not alone in your perspective. There is a very significant European population in Miami, which you've probably noticed by now. I never met anyone from Britain while living in Miami; but I met quite a few people from Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, and The Netherlands. When I first moved to South Beach, I was shocked by the number of French and Spaniards living in the same building I had moved to. I then moved to Brickell, and again, quite a few Europeans living in my condo building.

Some of the people who are questioning THIBIRDS are clueless. Yes, despite its shortcomings, Miami is very attractive to Europeans. It is difficult to understand the precise reasons for this. For example, Philadelphia, which I consider a much more worldly city than Miami, is not regarded the same way.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM

165 posts, read 304,763 times
that's probably because philly is a shhhhole. David Lynch's "Eraserhead" was basically a personification of Philly. all that needs to be said lol. It probably is more worldly though, not trying to offend but this is just kind of a well known fact to people who have lived and escaped from there. I'm not a big fan of Miami either so this isn't a me vs them thing. It's just I know never return to philly ever again.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
that's probably because philly is a shhhhole. David Lynch's "Eraserhead" was basically a personification of Philly. all that needs to be said lol. It probably is more worldly though, not trying to offend but this is just kind of a well known fact to people who have lived and escaped from there. I'm not a big fan of Miami either so this isn't a me vs them thing. It's just I know never return to philly ever again.
When and where did you live in Philly? Eraserhead was made in the late 70's. Back then, the city was competing with Detroit for the fastest decaying large city in the U.S., as was New York by the way. Nowadays, Philly is a great city to live in. One of the best kept secrets in the U.S. in my opinion. In fact, if my wife went along with it, I would not mind buying a row house in Philly and commuting to NYC via Amtrak. It's only 80 minutes station to station. Comparable to the commute from Connecticut, Westchester, and Long Island. Alas, she'll never agree to this.

There are still very bad neighborhoods throughout the city, but the same thing can be said about NYC.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claycassden View Post
Philly is a dump. They had to implement curfews to protect people from being attack by flash mobs. Philly mayor hopes curfew plan brings back the love - CNN

Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Philly is a dump. They had to implement curfews to protect people from being attack by flash mobs. Philly mayor hopes curfew plan brings back the love - CNN
So, the flash mobs makes it a dump?

And no, it's not a dump.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,266,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post

And no, it's not a dump.
a flash mob dump. thats sounds terrifying. it would take days to clean the streets

Old 08-17-2011, 02:55 PM

309 posts, read 619,458 times
i moved here from Philly... born and raised there.... there are a lot of things that aren't right about it but i would also say its not unilaterally a 'dump'. I got an exemplary public education there, there's loads of rich history and nice neighborhoods, and i was raised in a culturally diverse, un-prejudiced, community-oriented neighborhood; which is the way many philly neighborhoods still are (just a sample of some positives about the place.)

but - it is also true that recently the crime has escalated in some areas, and it DOES have miserable winters (as does NYC and DC and all those northern locales.) and THAT's why i left it; i've pretty much had it with the cold, ice, and 8 foot snowdrifts trapping me in the house. Also had it with rowhouses & city living in general; like many of the colonial-era US cities, the aging infrastructure makes daily living unpleasant. I also prefer an active outdoor lifestyle over going inside & the shutting the door and watching movies - which is what everyone does for entertainment when it's cold out. ugh.

there is a whole new movement of NY'ers moving to philly and doing that reverse commute... it's the latest new thing....

but for me ..... 'as God is my witness i will NEVER be COLD again' (channeling Scarlett O'hara, LOL)

Last edited by catt6; 08-17-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post

And no, it's not a dump.
Well, they definitely make it very unpleasant, especially if you're riding your bicycle and you get your skull broke in three places with brass knuckles. Ambushed on Kelly Drive - Philly.com

Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Well, they definitely make it very unpleasant, especially if you're riding your bicycle and you get your skull broke in three places with brass knuckles. Ambushed on Kelly Drive - Philly.com
Ouch! That sucks. And Kelly Drive is one of my favorite Philly places. The problem with Philly is that the good areas are right next to bad areas and that's the case with Kelly Drive and the Fairmount area in particular. But crime in Philly is really no worse than in many other places, so I can't agree with labeling the city a dump just because of this flash mob craze.

Also, your perception about a city changes radically depending of where you live. I doubt you would get many people living in poor areas to say anything positive about their city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami