Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
Ouch! That sucks. And Kelly Drive is one of my favorite Philly places. The problem with Philly is that the good areas are right next to bad areas and that's the case with Kelly Drive and the Fairmount area in particular. But crime in Philly is really no worse than in many other places, so I can't agree with labeling the city a dump just because of this flash mob craze.

Also, your perception about a city changes radically depending of where you live. I doubt you would get many people living in poor areas to say anything positive about their city.
My perception is probably skewed because I am a Mets fan. I've been to Philly many times for work and play. I never felt the attraction that some feel for the city. The traffic and the weather just never got my motor going. Not to mention the intensity of the people. On the bright side; however, I interviewed a bunch of students at UPENN when we were recruiting and I did like that campus.

Overall, the weather and the crime turn me off. At least Miami, doesn't have those god awful winters we get up north. Every year winter I commute into Manhattan I say to myself, "this is the last year we do this!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM

95 posts, read 160,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I am so happy you're in this forum. You basically echo my sentiments on Miami. I live in the NYC area and work in Manhattan. I have been to just about every major city in the U.S. from Anchorage, AK to Boston, MA. I always come away thinking Miami has A LOT going for it, but yes it needs some work in areas like transportation and job opportunities. Post the pics!
I will. Miami is very photogenic and I love photography! I've been to many other US cities, including some of those you mentioned. My favourites are NY, Miami, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco. I prefer maritime cities anyway. Miami is the only year round maritime city of my favourites.

Public transport could be better. Miami is a young city though compared to other US cities. None of these things happen overnight and unfortunately, the recession has hit Miami (and other places) hard.

I don't get the vitriol directed at Miami. Miami is no more or less rude than other big cities I've lived in. I've actually found it easier to make friends here than Denmark, where I really struggled to break the ice with people.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 PM

95 posts, read 160,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizarrony View Post
OP,

You're not alone in your perspective. There is a very significant European population in Miami, which you've probably noticed by now. I never met anyone from Britain while living in Miami; but I met quite a few people from Spain, France, Italy, Belgium, and The Netherlands. When I first moved to South Beach, I was shocked by the number of French and Spaniards living in the same building I had moved to. I then moved to Brickell, and again, quite a few Europeans living in my condo building.

Some of the people who are questioning THIBIRDS are clueless. Yes, despite its shortcomings, Miami is very attractive to Europeans. It is difficult to understand the precise reasons for this. For example, Philadelphia, which I consider a much more worldly city than Miami, is not regarded the same way.
There aren't many fellow Brits here. Most British people settle in other parts of Florida (Orlando is popular), but I didn't come here to be around other English people. I hated the Euro-skepticism over there. I feel that I've always had more in common with Dutch or German people than my own countrymen. There are a lot of French people here. There are an increasing number of Russians too, who are most likely taking advantage of the cheap price of property.

I like South Beach. Lincoln Road is very European. Many Cubans I've met are also very proud of their Spanish roots and I've found MANY fellow football (soccer) fans to chat with. I would not find this in other parts of the US, where soccer isn't so popular.

And I scoff at the notion of needing lots of money to have fun. THE BEACH!!!...hello! A splash in the ocean costs nada. I never had that luxury in the UK as even during the summer, the sea was freezing!

Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
And extremely cheap compared to London..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
There aren't many fellow Brits here. Most British people settle in other parts of Florida (Orlando is popular), but I didn't come here to be around other English people. I hated the Euro-skepticism over there. I feel that I've always had more in common with Dutch or German people than my own countrymen. There are a lot of French people here. There are an increasing number of Russians too, who are most likely taking advantage of the cheap price of property.

I like South Beach. Lincoln Road is very European. Many Cubans I've met are also very proud of their Spanish roots and I've found MANY fellow football (soccer) fans to chat with. I would not find this in other parts of the US, where soccer isn't so popular.

And I scoff at the notion of needing lots of money to have fun. THE BEACH!!!...hello! A splash in the ocean costs nada. I never had that luxury in the UK as even during the summer, the sea was freezing!
I love that line! In NJ it costs you a fortune to park your car in the Jersey shore towns and then you have to buy a beach pass for the day. Ouch!!! When I go to FL, I drive to one the Public Parking areas, walk across the street and pick a spot to sit down and read my book. In NJ, you can't even get a piece of beach to lay your towel upon, if you're not there first thing in the morning. And once you have your spot, you can't leave or someone will move all your stuff and take your spot!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
I love that line! In NJ it costs you a fortune to park your car in the Jersey shore towns and then you have to buy a beach pass for the day. Ouch!!! When I go to FL, I drive to one the Public Parking areas, walk across the street and pick a spot to sit down and read my book. In NJ, you can't even get a piece of beach to lay your towel upon, if you're not there first thing in the morning. And once you have your spot, you can't leave or someone will move all your stuff and take your spot!!!
i could never live in a place that crowded. there shouldnt be that many human beings alive let alone on one beach. too many people. we need a plague.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
i could never live in a place that crowded. there shouldnt be that many human beings alive let alone on one beach. too many people. we need a plague.
I agree with that.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
and then theres china

Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
^ LOL wow.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:59 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
and then theres china
With the large crowd there,it is hard to tell if there is a beach there or a massive flood from a rain downpour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami