Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:32 PM

22 posts, read 37,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkindravens View Post
Well maybe you'd rather phrase it in that context but i didn't mean it in a pejorative way. I wrote that because i often find that when people on this forum ask for advice on places to live that are "safe, nice, desirable, etc etc", you often hear the same areas mentioned over an over again such as pinecrest, south miami, coral gables, the grove, palmetto bay, Biscayne etc etc and its seems to me (and i wonder if others share this notion) that those areas, while nice, also happen to be the areas with large anglo populations in Miami. Now, i know of many other perfect nice, safe areas which people could recommend that are often overlooked because I believe people shun them since they're places where Hispanics are in the majority. Simply put, if the poster does not mind Hispanics, well then you're range of areas that are both safe, nice and certainly more affordable have opened up dramatically. If however you don't want to live in those Hispanic areas, for whatever your reason, then that's fine - just know that the options are much more limited.
Thanks for the info "unkindravens"... and demographics is important..I prefer diversity, hispanic population is fine with me. It helps to know what the demographics are in each area
In Tampa, I live in an area that is safe but has the higher population of hispanics. So, doing a little more research & I truly wish I could comfortably afford Brickell
I can go up to $1400 for a 2 bedroom rental.. I prefer to be within walking distance of some things.
Some of the companies that I am looking @ for employment are in Miramar, Dadeland area..
Is living in a nice area downtown out of the question working in those areas.
Do not want to be in traffic more than an hour for commute to work..etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Not sure how 9 year old friendly Aventura and Brickell are; Coral Gables is expensive; Kendall is a traffic nightmare.

Where you will be working? That will have a major influence on where you will be living.

Frankly, I think you are nuts to be trading Tampa for Miami, but, if that's the way you want to go, good luck!
Work in Managed care- health insurance companies..medicaid/ medicare companies. The areas that I have seen jobs in are Miramar, Dadeland, Hollywood.
So, have you lived in Tampa and/ or Miami? Why would you choose Tampa over Miami?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
I don't think the OP is nuts to trade Tampa for Miami. If I decide to stay in FL I'm considering Broward or Miami. I know S. FL has it's share of problems, but I think I would like the area better. The OP is right about the redneck epidemic.
Thanks for the positive comment! At the end of the day, everyone has their personal preference...& not everyone likes the same things, environment..etc.
I am 31 yo & soooooo beyond bored with Tampa..I need different, faster. I don't want to be 40, saying I should have experienced Miami when I was younger.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Jambo posted this on the Tampa forum this morning. I'll take the banana republic over this any day. Don't miss the video.

In Flex We Trust » Man Living In Fear Because His Neighbor Chased Him With A Chainsaw And Slapped Him With A Dead Fish
Horrible! LOL!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,332,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccimarlena View Post
Work in Managed care- health insurance companies..medicaid/ medicare companies. The areas that I have seen jobs in are Miramar, Dadeland, Hollywood.
So, have you lived in Tampa and/ or Miami? Why would you choose Tampa over Miami?
Went to USF - back in the dark ages - but go back to visit from time to time. Have friends who live in Tampa Palms - very nice area. Tampa's diverseness is older and more established. Miami's never gets the chance to become established - it's always changing, always new and raw.

I've been here for 60 years, so I've seen all the changes. As a white non-Hispanic, I am single digit demographic. But, I'm used to it and decided long ago to either get out or stop complaining. Getting out is still an option, until then, I try not to complain...

Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM

292 posts, read 955,493 times
I would check out South Beach again- and maybe read up on the Memorial Day Festivities before deciding on that route. No disrespect- but c'mon- it has to be said here. That weekend is out of control, and I wouldn't bring a kid to South Beach without that going on.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,464,621 times
Check all the towns on the Miami Beach Island. Those include:

North Beach
Surfside
Sunny Isles
Golden Beach
Normandy Isles
Key Biscayne

Living on the Island is 100x better than anywhere on the mainland. Living on the ocean is like paradise. And it's generally 5 degrees cooler. You can't go wrong except ...

South Beach maybe, but probably not so good for children. It's just too promiscuous.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
Hi! I am also a young profressional female looking for a place to live. Looked around coral gables and Brickell and you could get a real nice closet for $1800. One place wanted roughly $6k up front costs. No way! I'm looking in aventurA now. Any help or suggestions that you've found along the way?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,227,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccimarlena View Post
So, I am planning on moving from Tampa in about 6 months..lived in Tampa for 10 years. I am moving because I think it is too slow/ boring..etc. I need a change of scenery..I have only visited SoBe- but ♥ it!
I am looking for more diversity, more of a true city life feel and need to get away from the under educated rednecks in the Tampa Bay area.

I am a 31 year old Nurse with a 9 year old daughter so I def want to be in an area with great schools, but not too far from the city or beach!
I need to know what areas to avoid in Miami.. Currently I am looking into Aventura, Brickell, Coral Gables.. How is Kendall??
I am looking to keep rent under $1200/ per month for a 2 bedroom (small is ok)..need to find that middle ground, is this too much to ask when trying to live in Miami??
Low crime, fairly inexpensive rental but yet centrally located..
Why would you move to Miami? Miami has gone to crap since the housing bust and recession.

Miami has one of the highest unemployment rates of any city in the US.

Crime is surging.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Why would you move to Miami? Miami has gone to crap since the housing bust and recession.

Miami has one of the highest unemployment rates of any city in the US.

Crime is surging.

Good luck.
Thanks for your opinion..I am a Nurse, no problems in the unemployment area and crime is surging in most big cities. Surrounding areas of Miami are ok as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami